“Nice room, good location to public transport, area a bit sketchy”
Review of Toronto Garden Inn

Toronto Garden Inn
Ranked #8 of 116 Toronto B&B and Inns
“Nice room, good location to public transport, area a bit sketchy”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Room: We stayed in the Trillion room, the largest room in the attic of the house. Room was cool with fans blowing awhich i8pm, but during the afternoon it was very hot no matter what. (The heat was not a problem in the other rooms with central air.) The back patio (only avail with the Trillion room) was great to kick back with a beer during downtime.

Service/amenities: the guys who take care of the place are great, very friendly and responsive. 2 shared bathrooms which we didn't love but never had problems waiting to get into the bathroom. Areas were clean, breakfast was adequate and had many options. They provided towels and there was shower stuff in the bathrooms.

Location: a block and a half away from the streetcar which was great, right next door to the stop was a convenience store where we bought tokens for $2.50 each. Also about a ten minute walk to Yonge Square/Easton Shopping center. Unfortunately, the walk there has an assortment of homeless/crazy looking people who solicit you often. I was pretty nervous at night and would not feel safe walking alone.

Value: we would've preferred to stay in the smaller rooms - the value is much better around $90 at this B&B for the amenities provided and services. At $110+ we probably would've done better to go elsewhere for a little more with bathrooms, better location, etc. However overall we still enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Natasha S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had an great stay in Toronto and we found our rooms at the Garden Inn really nice. The rooms are really ok, clean, quiet. We had some issues with the internet connection, but things were worked out. The breakfast was actually really good - self-service. We can really recommend the Garden Inn when you go to Toronto!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patrik J
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The decor is modest and the bathroom tiny but the price is right, the location ideal for Toronto’s cultural scene, and the proprietor could not be more helpful. We advise asking him for a $10 24-hour permit to leave your car on the street, as the 505 streetcar along Dundas Street is a great trip through the heart of the city and connects with the subway system. A bargain.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara B
Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After one year I am back at the Toronto Garden Inn. It is such a welcoming place, historical, cosy, interesting and very very clean. Breakfast is laid on for you to come down to the eat in kitchen on a lovely old timber table, any time from when you wake until about 10/10.30am. Bryan our host is kind, helpful B&B is situated on the edge of historic Cabbagetown and a 10/15 minute walk to downtown Dundas Square (or for the lazy or shopping ladden - a short direct street car ride on the Dundas line). I often walk and as a single woman, who nearly always travels alone, I feel very comfortable and have never been harrased by anyone in this area. There are a number of services for the homeless in a street parallel to this one - but the homeless are not interested in what I do! If I do see them they are generally just waiting patiently for a meal from one of the local services.

I would stay here at the Toronto Garden Inn anytime. If you stay here for any length of time you will come away with new friends both fellow ravellers as well as the managers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Euless, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I should have known that the "healthy breakfast buffet" would leave a lot to be desired. Boxes of cereal, powdered sugared donuts, loaves of grocery store bread, etc are not my idea of a healthy breakfast. We were there for three days and the same hand towel hung in the two restrooms for use by all the entire time. Barely acceptable, IMHO. Also, located in a sketchy part of town and I don't mean a part of town suitable for sketching.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
TorontoGardenInn, Manager at Toronto Garden Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We are sorry to hear that we couldn`t meet with your healthy breakfast criteria. We currently provide milk, soy milk, lactose free milk, eggs, yoghurt,%100 orange juice and cranberries or alternative fruit juice, fresh fruits, jams, honey, peanut and almond butter, olives, cereals, nutella,, bakeries, 4-5 different type of bread and more variety. After reading your review we will improve our breakfast. We have 5-6 pair of same hand towels and we change them on a daily bases and we assume because they are look alike you did not realize that they have been changed. We are located right in the centre of the city, literally it take 8-10 mins to walk to Dundas Square and Eaton centre and like ever major city, Toronto also have some run down streets and yes we are close to one of them but actually we are located on a very desirable street and neighbourhood which call Cabbage-Town, also known as the largest Victorian neighbourhood in North America.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a single woman travelling on my own, I felt welcome and safe at this B&B. I arrived when it was dark, and easily found my way on public transit, thanks to good instructions from Bryan, the owner. The location worked for me, and provided me with a nice morning walk to my downtown meeting place. I was in the Jasmine Room, and was glad for the desk as I had work to do on my laptop. I didn't mind the shared bathroom. The room was simply decorated, with a comfortable bed and sheets, and I had a sound sleep. I enjoyed the older Victorian homes and front gardens along Seaton Street. I live in an older neighbourhood in Edmonton, so, felt right at home. I will book there again. A couple I met at the B&B passed on a tip for live jazz at The Rex, which I enjoyed before travelling to the airport.

Room Tip: Jasmine Room has a desk.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Guelph
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This B&B provided my husband and I with a friendly, very conveniently located and affordable overnight oasis in the heart of Toronto. Bryan was a thoughtful host who helped us arrange affordable parking. We enjoyed our walk both to and from the Distillery district. We stayed in the Trillium room at the top of the house which had a lovely sunny deck patio to enjoy in the morning. The central air and ceiling fan ensured a comfortable sleeping temperature. The accommodations were cheery, clean and thoughtfully arranged for facilitating our visit to the City. The kitchen was well stocked and well maintained for a range of serve-yourself hot or cold breakfasts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple