“"Organic and healthy all the way"”
Review of the beet

the beet
Ranked #3,110 of 8,895 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Good daily specials, food portions are decent, the food itself is great. We have eaten almost everything on this menu and its all good. Always fresh. Its a great place to go for those with food allergens/intolerances (i.e. dairy, gluten). They have a great policy of no pets and no smoking which should not be around when your trying to eat a meal or even a snack.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a favorite place to pick up lunch - their BBQ Chicken wrap with a side of their potato wedges is simply great food. Their unique version of Caesar salad is also excellent. Their food is satisfying, the menu is varied and large, and their service is friendly and helpful. They have a comfortable outside patio where you can have a yummy brunch on weekends. Although I find it a bit pricey, it's hard to complain as the food is organic and obviously prepared with love.

1  Thank Smorg1
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I discovered this place when I moved to the junction, and it instantly became one of my favourite places to eat. Decorated with what looks like random furniture picked up at a local garage sale, The Beet has a diverse menu that appeals to carnivores, vegetarians, vegans, and those with Gluten sensitivity. The menu is comprised of healthy yet decedent dishes made from organic and local ingredients. Although we now live 30 minutes away, my boyfriend and I visit for breakfast every few weeks, specifically for their Huevos Rancheros; the BEST in the city! The food isn't cheap, but you pay for what you get. I highly recommend trying The Beet, especially for their breakfast menu. Writing this review is actually making me hungry, I think i'll have to make a trip tomorrow!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently had supper at the beet with a friend. I've cooked vegan/vegetarian for many years, and was interested in seeing the beet's offerings. The menu was rather odd in that there wasn't a 'beet' signature dish! I was hoping for a beet slider or some kind of beet 'steak' entree, but no. I think this is a bit of a missed opportunity, really.
I had the grilled cheese sandwich with potato wedges, and my friend had vegan mac and cheese with a salad. His mac and cheese tasted artificial; the soymilk and arrowroot cheese really didn't play well together. For some reason there was a very sweet jam on the sandwich, which was offputting. The sandwich had been grilled without any oil, so the bread was extremely dry; the cheese wasn't melted. The wedges were flabby, lukewarm and oversalted. I ordered a pumpkin spice and walnut cookie for dessert, which the waitress very kindly comped beause I didn't eat the sandwich, and my friend ate the wedges. There was no flavour on the cookie other than raw oatmeal. There was no hint of pumpkin spice or walnut, and the cookie had the texture of soggy granola pressed together.
The service was attentive and there was no feeling of being rushed - we sat and chatted over tea refills for several hours.
This is a great concept for a restaurant - some great organic choices, with an eco-sustainable focus. I really wanted the food to be as good as the restaurant promise. Sadly, it fell short.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We often enjoy lunch or brunch there. The food is mostly organic and there is everything from burgers to vegan options. It's always good and so is the service. We are always amazed at the quality of the food given the reasonable prices. Try the blackberry margarita - it's delicious.