“Cedar Meadows has really gone downhill”

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Front Desk Service non-existant; kids screaming up and down the halls at 7 am each day. Amenities that are out-classed by a Super-8. Cedar Meadows used to be a nice hotel. Stayed there several years ago and was impressed with the experience. Went back and was very disappointed. The last straw was being over-charged $45 for my room, with a confirmation in my hand the front desk staffer tried to call the manager who disappeared delaying my checkout from this nightmare stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WorldExec
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2010

Timmins is a very popular city when it comes to winter Sports Teams. Like all hotels in Timmins, we do rent out some of our rooms to these teams. Although these teams are advised to keep noise levels down, this is not always the case. We do ask other hotel guests (here on Business for example) to let us know if other guests are being too noisy (running up and down the halls).

We do have someone at our front desk 24/7 in order to assist our guests for whatever they may need. Our rates are based on Double occupancy and we do quote this rate if a person says there will be only 2 people in the room. However, like every hotel, we do charge $10 per additional person in the room if we find out, upon arrival, there are 4 people in a room. This means additional cleaning services for this room will be needed.

Although I am present at the resort 6 days per week and work 8 to 12 hour shifts, it is impossible for me as the Manager to be available 24/7 and I do take 1 day off per week.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed at the Cedar Meadows for two nights in August 2009. My room was very clean and comfortable, with a flat screen tv and a good wireless connection. The restaurant is very good, particularly the fish dishes and desserts. I had no complaints about the service. They were quite fast on my last morning because I had to leave early. Overall this hotel represents good value for the dollar. Timmins is not the most exciting place in Ontario but at least at this hotel you can be comfortable and well fed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Martha123
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I have stayed elsewhere in Timmins on past visits and Cedar Meadows is the only hotel I would return to. My room is always very clean and comfortable, the high-speed connection works well every time, the staff are all consistently very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant is also the best in town - the steaks especially!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter120
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed at the Cedar Meadows Resort for the night of the 14th and 15th of August 2009. This hotel really impressed me with there friendly welcoming and beautiful resort.
My room was very clean and comfortable and also very quiet. My friend and I really enjoyed the brunch that was offered sunday morning. The waitress was very nice and the food was incredible. I would definately recommended this hotel for any travellers wanting to stay in the timmins area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I have reported this property to the BBB. Cancelled reservation 8 days prior to arrival date and still charges a no show on my credit card. They are refusing on returning the charges. Cancellation policy is 4pm date of arrival. They say they never got a request for a cancellation, yet I have the email t prove it and still denies it. Keep going further north! don't stop in Timmins!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank tiatatravelagent

Our system sends out a confirmation email which indicates "Please do not reply to this email". Which is what happened that being the reason why the resort never did receive the email. In result, the guest was charged with a "No Show" fee. The money was refunded to the card holder a few weeks after this incident.

Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in April. The hotel was much better than those of a regular mining town. It was really quiet and peaceful, but unfortunately because there was still feet of snow there wasn't a lot to do. No horses or anything taht I saw on previous posts.
The spa was alright, albeit a little overpriced for the level of service but still much appreciated.
The hotel is quite far from the "downtown" so it's advisable to have a car if staying here.
The food from the restaurant was good.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on business, as it was a little overpriced for a leisure traveller.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank jac2028
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We read good reviews of Cedar Meadows before booking a spot to stay in Timmins and I'm very glad we did! Excellent value and seemed to be comparable in price to some of the brand name yet dingier looking hotels in town. We got a basic queen room that was very large and clean. High speed wireless internet worked perfectly and there is wildlife all around the resort (fenced in) as you drive in which was really neat! Nice views and a little balcony from our first floor room. You would want to have a car if you are staying here as it is about a 5 minute drive to downtown and restaurant chains. We had breakfast at the Cedar Meadows restaurant which was excellent food, but very slow even though we were the only ones there, so ok for a leisurely meal but frustrating when you want to be on your way in the morning. There seemed to be some great packages on their website which we didn't take advantage of but worth looking into if you're staying longer than we did.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple