“Decent place, but Brides beware!”

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at Cedar Meadows for a family wedding that was taking place on the property. Now this place is called a resort, but I dont really understand why. The property surrounding is all farm land with fences and bark mulch, and I was definitely expecting to see some landscaping or some kind of garden, but their was none.

The rooms themselves were adequete, albit a little small. We paid extra to have a junior suite thinking it would be bigger than the other rooms, but it wasnt. It did have a jacuzzi though and the bathroom was nice with a double shower. We were expecting a king or a queen size bed, but all they had were doubles in the room which was a dissapointment. Another thing was that the room service came early! They were hollering for 'room service' by 830am, not something I enjoyed waking up to in the morning on a holiday,

The restaurant at the hotel did have good food at decent prices. And the location to Timmins was good... close to the airport, close to town.

My biggest complaint would be with those who run the weddings there. You would expect that by spending thousands of dollars on their property, the hotel would bend over backwards to make it a happy care free day for the bride, but it was not so! My sister in law was scheduled to have her wedding the next day outside on their lawn but decided that since it was suppose to rain she would change the location to inside. This should have been fine considering she had up to 24hrs before the wedding to decide. So, she called, NOBODY answered, so she left a message stating that she wished to have it indoors. That evening everyone arrives for the rehersal to find that they set up all the chairs OUTSIDE. She goes to talk to managment about the mistake and they tell her that that morning they had already set up all the chairs outside and they werent going to change it (Oh, and they got her message, but it was too late. PS - they never called back)So now, they actually expected her to pay $800 for something she wasnt going to use. Talk about money grabbing! Obviously, the bride was extremely upset and tried to talk to the coordinator about how it wasnt right for her to have to pay for something that wasnt her mistake and for something that she wasnt even using! The wedding coordinator told her "Pay it, or you arent getting married here tomorrow." I could not believe someone would say something like that to a bride the day before her wedding.

So that right there is what left a very bad taste in my mouth about this hotel. It would be considered decent otherwise; good maybe for a business traveller who is simply looking for a place to sleep. But I certainly would NOT recommend this place to a bridal party!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CarolynLeanne
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2009

I am replying to this posting in order to provide you with the facts and what really happened.

We are a resort located on 275 acres of land. As for the farm, we do have a barn nearby obviously to keep our animals in during the winter months and with a barn you need to have a fence obviously. Bark mulch? Lanscape designers use mulch for flower beds in order to help prevent the weeds. Everybody raves about our property and how great our landscape and flower beds look. This couple did get married outside in May (which at that time in Timmins, was still too cold for flowers to grow...they would freeze!)

Our Junior Suites, as oppose to our Standard Rooms, DO have Queen Beds (not a double) and are actually quiet spacious. Our housekeeping staff does not start at 8:30am. They start their day at 10:00am (since check-out time is 11:00am).

The night of the rehearsal (where our Events Coordinator had to wait from 5pm to 8pm since the party did not know what time it was going to take place) is when they decided they did not want to get married outside (at this point was less than a 24 hour notice). We did not ask them to pay $800. But asked them to pay half (for the Gazebo & chairs) of what they owed, since by now, everything was ready and set to go. They paid us $287 to cover the cost of labour. We do ask that the full amount for weddings be paid ahead of time, which was not, and our coordinator simply asked to pay the remaining balance or we would not be able to proceed with the wedding. This wedding party made a dinner reservation in our restaurant at 8pm yet they showed up at 10pm (the time our restaurant closes!) and we kept additional servers on just for them.

On the day of the wedding, our Events Coordinator did get a voicemail from the groom to be (1 hour before the actual wedding ceremony was to take place) simply asking her to call him back. The coordinator was obviously out and about the property making sure everything was in place, which is why she did not get the message right away. She DID return the call (I was there with her) and spoke to the bride to be where she advised her they did not want to get married outside (due to the rain). Which was fine, and we moved the wedding ceremony inside our resort.

We take pride in providing the best quality service possible which is why we are the place to be for such events. We did “bend over backwards” for these people…this shows you that no matter how hard you try sometimes, you can’t please everybody! It is a shame people go out of their way to make such accusations and blow things out of proportion. I can guarantee you, these are the facts.

Reviewed March 15, 2009

This resort is the Best i have ever stayed at. I stayed from March 11th to the 13th 2009.
I stay at many resorts ,Hotels all over Ontario on Business. There is no better ,Hats off to Richard Lafleur ,Family and Staff for perfect Dining,Clean Rooms Quiet picture perfect setting,A warm welcome from all staff . And to say the least Prices are reasonable and Affordable. This is the Number One place to stay While in Timmins Ontario On Business
or just Relaxation. I look forward to my next Business or Vacation there.
I will be sure to tell my Friends about this Picture Perfect Resort.
Jim

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JamesForterieon
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2015

Thank you "JamesForterieon" for your stay and excellent 5 star review. We were happy to welcome you and appreciate that you took the time to write and share this review.

Yours truly,

Reviewed July 30, 2008

I stayed 3 nights at this family owned hotel with its unique touches. It's in a tranquil setting just 7 minutes to downtown and 10 minutes to airport. At the front entrance is a pond with waterfall.

There are fields for horses around the resort. Saw a fox in the distance while looking out my glass door. Each night, I found it extremely quiet. There are no other restaurants or stores within walking distance!

My room was the first in the new section, main floor. Very clean and comfortable. No wall pictures, but two of the walls with special finishes. Gold tones. Good quality wood furniture: bedside tables on both sides of the queen bed, table with 2 chairs, work desk with business chair, and a desk with chair next to the 3 bureau storage drawers.

Air conditioning unit - with basic knobs - worked fine. The room had one sliding glass door onto the common walkway, no other windows. So, a bit dark during the daytime, but there are many (stylish) light fixtures. Blackout drapes, but no other drapery.

The pillowtop bed had high thread count sheets. Large flat panel tv, blue berber carpet – that seemed out of place. I used my room’s free cable High-Speed access: no password required. Modern bathroom with tub surround, curved shower rod, bath sheets (so, huge towels), nice shampoos, hair dryer.

Closet included iron and board. There's a coffeemaker and nice-sized empty fridge included in the room.

The 24 hour gym included 2 treadmills, eliptical, bike, universal station, flat panel tvs in both directions. Access with your room key. The spa next to it not open

Restaurant has great food including specials. This resort appears to specialize in receptions including weddings. Ice and soda/pop machines are on the 2nd floor; no elevator.

How could it improve?
- find somewhere besides the front hallway to store the two serving tables
- increase the lighting in the first hallway section

Overall, a great stay. I can’t imagine any hotel in Timmins being nicer.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marie-France L, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

Dear ABtraveller,

We wanted to thank you for your great 5 star review and detailed comments.

We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa in Timmins. We do look forward to welcoming you back to Timmins again soon and hope you'll stay with us again!

Reviewed July 10, 2008

Does the basics well. Business rooms in the new wing are nicer - modern bathrooms, flat panel TVs, some with hardwood flooring. Nice serene location. Free wireless internet. Good restaurant. Building a new spa which looks nice. Far above other standard hotel choices in Timmins.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Rad8

We wanted to thank you Rad8 for taking the time to write us a 4 star review!

It makes us very happy to hear you enjoyed our resort and services.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you once again!

Regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night. There are not many options in Timmins for newer / clean hotels and I think I can say this is the only one. Service was friendly upon arrival. Received my room which was clean and modern. Floors were hardwood with tiling in the bathroom. Decent flat screen T.V. and large enough bathroom. Desk area had internet hook-up. Would have liked to open the windows but could not open ............air conditioner was fairly noisy when trying to watch T.V. Well not fairly........It was noisy. Room was not well lit as windows were small and just not enough light in the room. Had supper at the restaurant ... good service and fairly decent food. Had breakfast also and it was good. All in all hotel would definately be the choice in Timmins.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank okop

Dear okop,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor community.

We apologize for the noise of the air conditioner. We thank you for your candidness. We have appreciated your business in the past and hope you will feel comfortable enough to try us gain in the future.

Thanks again,

Reviewed December 30, 2007

i spent three weeks in timmins on business leading up to the christmas holidays. i was referred to this resort and my stay was very enjoyable. the rooms were very warm and comfortable. the restaurant would match any in a toronto hotel , with great nightly specials. the staff, from the cleaning staff to the owner went out of their way to make me comfortable. having spent three weeks in timmins, there are no accomodations which come close to this resort.......excellent !

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank barneyToronto
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2015

Thank you "barney" for your stay, and for including us in your plans over the holidays and during your extended visit to Timmins.

Our team is always happy to read such reviews and we were glad to hear you enjoyed our services and restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

My husband and I spent one night at Cedar Meadows and really enjoyed it.

The rooms were spotless and comfortable...the mattresses looked new.

The front desk staff was helpful and nice and gave us directions to places in the area. The ATM in the lobby didn't work with my card and they helped me find the bank I needed. If you are visiting from a country other than Canada, you may want to get cash before arriving in Timmins so you don't have the same issue I did.

The food at the restaurant was excellent and the service was very good.

The wilderness tour was a little disturbing to me as I don't know that the driver should have been walking on the ground so close to the animals, but it was still fun to be up close with the bison and moose. You buy tickets for the tour at the front desk 10 minutes before departure and it's first come, first served.

There's a nice nature path that goes around the water, but to get anywhere else in the area you have to drive or take a cab. The hotel is great about getting a taxi quick.

Overall, I was impressed and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Timmins. Our cab driver told us it was the best place in the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank hedylarue

Thank you "hedylarue" for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Your review is very detailed and we are sure this will be very helpful to future guests. We appreciate the time you took and cover every service/activity we offer at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa.

Greatly appreciated! We look forward to your next visit.