“A Tad Tired, but still probably the best Timmins has to offer”

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Toronto
“A Tad Tired, but still probably the best Timmins has to offer”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Unfortunately, Timmins is desperately short on quality accommodation, and this is it. It's close to the airport, the rooms, while (really) dated, are clean, spacious and comfortable. Lighting in the rooms is for romance (if you're into dated dimly lit rooms as being romantic), and not all that useful for reading.

The attached restaurant is fine -- not inexpensive, but passable food.

The place needs a bit of a reno, and some updating, but it's still the best that Timmins has to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank StephenM465
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello "StephenM46",

Thank you for your review. We do listen to our guests and you will be pleased to know we have currently renovated our rooms, suites and restaurant!

We would like to invite you to stay with us again in the near future and see what improvements we have done.

We have appreciated your business in the past and hope you will return while in the Timmins area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I maintain the comments I made on my previous review of this, but now I realise that weekends are hit or miss about one thing: noise. As I said previously, usually weekdays are busy (business clients), and weekends more quiet. Except if a group book for a party. Just had that experience. Loud talk in hallways, slamming doors until 2 AM, etc. Really unfortunate, because the rest of my experience is great.
As I said in my earlier review, some guest have been 'intense' here before, and the place will eventually need refurbishment (not urgent, but eventually; it doesn't get in the way of my comfort or enjoyment). When the day comes, a thought about soundproofing would really be welcome to guests.
Otherwise, very nice staff, efficient service, cleanliness, peacefull surroundings (wildlife etc). I maintain the earlier positive comments (spring 2012).

Room Tip: if the possibility of being bothered by noise is a concern, then ovoid rooms with low numbers (101-1...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 88puffin
Hello "88puffin",

Thank you for your review and comments. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we are sorry for taking so long to reply.

We would like to apologize for the noise you experienced during your last stay with us. Our resort is very popular which larger groups such as weddings. We do try to control the noise levels within the resort. However, as you know it can sometimes be difficult to control this noise when people are returning to their rooms once the wedding reception has ended. We do advise our guests to keep noise levels down and respect other non-wedding guests. What we also like to do during wedding season is book the wedding group rooms together in one area and non-wedding guests on the opposite floor. However, this is not always possible since we do have different room types throughout the resort; lets say a guest requests a Suite and that specific suite happens to be close to the wedding group, then a guest may experience some noise. Even though our rooms and suites have been sound proofed, it can be difficult to control certain individuals and their actions.

In the future, we would recommend contacting the Guest Service Associate on duty at that time. We are very accommodating and although it may be an inconvenience to some guests, if a guest agrees, we will be more than happy to try and find that individual a different room if one is available.

We do look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you again for your comments.
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2012

After a long day at a mill and tailings site in Sudbury, our field trip class finally arrived road worn in Timmins to this resort where we stayed for two nights. First impressions when my friends and I got to our room was that we would enjoy this place, it also helped that we stayed at a cheap motel the night before.
The closet was placed in the middle of the room beside the TV cabinet; I thought that was a bit nontraditional. But the way the bedframe, the cabinet, and the closet was made out of wood and the lighting gave this room a natural and relaxing touch to it. The beds were clean and comfortable. And so was the bathroom.

Over the course of the two days we stayed, we used the meeting rooms, dined at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. I myself checked out the spa. The meeting room upstairs was big enough to fit 50 students. The restaurant served bar and restaurant food, we went for the former and it was great for its price.
I believe I was the only one out of the group who tried the spa out. I basically paid for the atmosphere, the quick pedicure was a way for me to relax after a long day. I know I could have gotten more for what I paid for in the city. But the no-cell phone environment, waterfall, and spa music they foster in there made me glad that I made that little getaway.

Room Tip: For closer proximity to the spa or fitness center, choose a room at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello!

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. We wanted to say thank you for your kind comments and we are happy you enjoyed our facility and accommodations.

Looking forward to seeing you again in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I just came back from a weekend escape with the girls and what a great weekend it was. Upon arrival at this beautiful resort, we were greeted by very friendly staff. The room was newly renovated and over looked the garden. The food served in the restaurant was amazing. Great specials offered by their Chef daily. The dining room staff were very attentive and friendly as well. We also enjoyed all the Spa services that were available. Great knowledgeable staff were there for our every need. We especially enjoyed the nature baths. We also had the opportunity to take their Wilderness Tour which was just over an hour in length. It was amazing to come that close to all the wonderful and friendly animals. The driver of the tour did a fantastic job.

Great escape for the weekend with friends. Absolutely enjoyed what this resort has to offer. Nothing can compare in this area. One of a kind!! We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patti L
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello Patti L and thank you very much for your positive feedback on TripAdvisor.

We're so happy you and your friends enjoyed your weekend and fully took advantage of the services we offer at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa!

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I attended this location for two nights in conjunction with a wedding. Upon arrival, the drive up is very picturesque, swans swimming in the creek on either side of the driveway, horses cavorting in an enclosure. We both thought, this looked promising. On entering the building, however, that first impression crashed! The small entry was over-crowded with newspaper dispenser (really, you're a resort and no complimentary paper), a real estate magazine dispenser and a snow pusher. The last one I could understand if we arrived in December, but, this was August! Looking up was no better, a light fixture suspended from the vaulted ceiling was replete with dead insects in the light basin and cobwebs stretching from the corners of the wall. There was only one luggage cart and no elevator for the second floor. Good thing we were on the first floor.
Our room was adequate, not resort quality, but adequate. We took a walk over the grounds directly adjacent to our court-side room and were pleased to see gold fish in the creek that ran through the property. The water wasn't running, however, which surprised us as it looked as though they had a system to have a waterfall (and it was working the day we checked out - disappointing).
My husband thought he should check to make sure that when his brother arrived that they were booked into a main floor room as his wife had no ability to climb stairs and they always specify a ground floor room. He discovered they weren't and he told them that wouldn't work and requested they find them something on the first floor. They did find a room for them, however, it had no access to the courtyard, which was disappointing as they were there for the Grandson's wedding.
We did not eat at the resort, except for the wedding banquet, as we weren't overwhelmed by other amenities and didn't want to risk another disappointment.
The wedding was set up in a tent (leaky tent, as it turned out) Yes, it rained(not the resorts fault). But, on that note, an additional tent-way could have been installed, in anticipation of possible rain, to the hotel entrance, to keep attendees from getting wet between the tent and the hotel (bathrooms were in the hotel).
But, finally, and I think this is important, I forgot something at the hotel that I didn't notice until a day or so later. I never received a call from the resort to let me know and ask me how I would like my property returned.
Overall, if this was a budget hotel, it would have been an average stay, however, it's resort and if it would like a better rating, should probably up it's game! It's the little things that matter in a resort. People go there, not because they want to be in a run of the mill hotel, but, a 'wow' place that makes them feel special.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here in the summer, ask for a court-side room - lovely view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine W
Thank you Catherine W for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry that your experience at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations. We do make it a practice to share all of our guests' comments with our employees and management team. It is through comments such as yours that we work to help improve guests' experiences.

We thank you for your candidness. We have appreciated your business in the past and hope you will feel comfortable enough to try us again in the future.
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great relaxing time at the spa at Cedar Meadows but they need to re-evaluate their customer service standards! We ordered two sandwiches from their lunch menu at the spa; it was listed at $7, and a $10 fruit plate. The spa attendant came back and said we could pick a side option as it was “included with the sandwich”. We thought, “Wow what a great deal!”
Our “Four Cheese Panini” ended up being a grilled cheese on plain white bread. We let that slide, as it was still tasty. Had my husband pay the lunch bill while we dressed, and said it should be around $30 for the lunch. When we came out, he said he paid $50. I asked the attendant why she charged us $30 for our sandwiches when it should have been $14. She explained that the lunch was a set lunch as a sandwich/side at $15 each. Well that is not what the menu said and she did not explain that to us. I reminded her that she specifically said it was “included”, her only response was “we haven’t updated the menu yet, sorry”.
I was extremely annoyed and angry that they did not try to compensate us in any way or give us anything that would make us want to come back. It’s not about the money; it’s the principle of it. Charging your customer double what they expect to pay because you haven’t updated your pricing is not right. They should have explained this beforehand. And the fact they did not even think to rectify the situation made it worse. What kind of customer service is this? This is not the standards you would expect from a “resort” establishment. I won't be going back if this is how they treat their customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Catgirlz
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012

In regards to your sandwiches, the resort's restaurant offers many different types of panini pressed sandwiches. Yours being a grilled cheese panini. We apologize as it sounds perhaps you had something else in mind. As for the pricing of the items, we do try to explain to our clients the spa menu is different from the restaurant menu. The restaurant menu does offer daily specials which do include a side dish. Whereas, the spa menu has individually priced dishes and different healthier options. We will work on finding a better way to explain this to our spa clients in order to avoid confusion in the future.

Again, we do apologize and hope this miscommunication will not keep you from returning to Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just a few blocks away from the center of town in a quiet secluded park-like setting, this is a beautiful hotel with nice spacious rooms that open to the outside with a sliding door which we love. You can bring in your suitcases from there with your car parked in front. Nice flowers along the pathways. Property is well maintained.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the near future!