“Not what I would call a "Resort"”

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Nice room (although poor noise separation from the hallway and our room); good restaurant (great Caesar salad). Spa seems nice (we did not partake but toured it). Our biggest issue is that the hotel was missing that "resort" feel. There was really no common area where you could just sit and read or talk (other than the spa, which cost extra). Our room also had no space to sit, other than a couple of uncomfortable arm chairs.Nothing else going on at the "resort", so what you really have here is a hotel with a spa facility - that's it. With what they charged for a room I expected more.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mississaugi

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was only there for one night but reception was nice and the drive past the moose and other animals was pretty cool. it is 10 minutes from airport and looks setup for good weddings there. It is 10 minutes to downtown which was perfect for travel. The "exercise room" as with most rooms was small, but you could get some work done. I think there were running paths close. I had dinner and breakfast there and both were ok. Probably the best place in the area.

Room Tip: back side is quiet
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank halifaxfin
Reviewed August 21, 2011

If this is the #1 hotel in Timmins, then Timmins does not have much. Was disappointed. Rooms and hallways are dull and unappealing. Nothing makes this a 'Resort'. A/C was noisy. Beds are not comfortable. Rooms echo and are noisy.

Only plus for this place is that it is outside of Timmins with amble parking.

We will not be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joe T
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Cedar Meadows is literally in the woods. It's a very nice place; clean, comfortable rooms. To me, it looks more like a lodge than a resort, but they have a spa and apparently have weddings and parties there.

They don't have a business center, but I'm never without my laptop, so no biggie. They do have wireless internet in the rooms, though.

I enjoyed staying at Cedar Meadows for business, but I would have liked to have more time to enjoy the grounds. They have "Wilderness Tours" twice a day this time of year and the photos I saw looked very interesting. Be careful driving down Norman street, though. The moose crossing signs are no joke!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2011

A hidden gem. Quiet clean rooms that were modern. Even a flat screen TV. For $101 per night it was a great deal compared to whats out there. My wife and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2011

My plane for Vancouver was postponed for 26 hours, therefore I decided to kill time at the Cedar Meadows. I was quite impressed with their new Spa Experience that they have available. For $25 extra, I spent 3 hours going between the sauna, the steam room, the outside jacuzzi, the cold pool and the relaxing room. Next time, I will book a massage or other of their treatments offered. By the time I got out of the spa, I found myself that the problems with my flight was a blessing. Northern Ontario is really lucky to have such a nice facility.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NicoleGuertin
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Cedar Meadows is a nice independently run hotel in Timmins. It is one of the nicest hotels in town and is not on the main strip but that is its main charm. I have eaten there in the past and enjoy the buffet meals. My family has also used this facility for sleigh rides and always takes visitors there to go through the wildlife reserve.
They opened a traditional spa a few years ago which I heard was nice although recently they opened a Scandinavian style outdoor spa which uses the principles of warming, cooling and relaxation in order to relax the body and sooth the mind. I have been to many spas like this in the past and feel this spa has the main concepts down pat but some tweaking is required.

There are three outdoor pools, one hot, one room temperature and one cold plunge pool. The cold plunge pool was not working properly so was closed. The maintenance man said probably this cold pool will be closed all winter. The area the outdoor pools are in is enclosed by the hotel and spa itself which is a nicely designed building. Unfortunately on the opposite side of the the pools there is a large wooden wall/fence. This makes the area feel very enclosed and tight. Not sure what is behind the fence but opening that area up would make the experience more relaxing and open. You would see more nature and less of the buldings surrounding the complex if it were opened up. I liked having the room temperature pool so you can swim in a cooler pool and stay in longer. I also like the depth of that pool. Many cold plunge pools are just not deep enough to totally submerge yourself in and are often too cold to stay in for longer than a few seconds to minute. Another great feature outside was the heated walkways. I have been to an outdoor spa like this that didn't have heated walkways and it was very hard to navigate. Very easy to walk around without slipping at this spa. The waterfall(s) were a nice feature as well as the outdoor fire and Muskoka chairs to relax in although a little too cold to do that the day I went!

Inside the facility there are two lounge areas, one "nature" themed and the other more contemporary and is more for the traditional spa experience. There is also a very nice but small sauna which was just great. They also have a tiled steamroom which is beautifully tiled, nicely lite and hot! Unfortunately they infuse the steamroom with a perfume scent that is too overpowering and not relaxing at all. I think a eucalyptis infusion would be more "natural" as this perfume scent stayed on your skin even after you have left the steamroom. Definately this need to change in my opinion. There is also a rainforest shower in this area and the changes seemed spacious and comfortable. I think the check in staff should learn to hand out lockers a little better. There were only two other men there while I was there and one of them had a locker right beside mine. I think spreading out the lockers when so few people are present is just better business practice. Gives guys some elbow room. I also was given a lower level locker which was fine but an upper locker would have been easier access and again, better business practice.

Throughout all the rooms there is music playing and I really did not find this music relaxing. Firstly it was too loud in the steam room and secondly the chosen music was acoustic piano versions of such songs as "Amazing Grace" and other spiritual songs. Totally a wrong choice for relaxation in a nature themed spa. Hopefully they change this before my next visit. The maintenance man did come and ask if the music was too loud which was very thoughtful of him!

Also my friend and I were going to have lunch at the spa from a limited menu. Unfortunately we were told we would have to come out of the spa and eat at a little bistro table in the lobby of the spa. I didn't find this to be a great option for dining. Not sure what they can do about this! We opted not to eat there!

Overall I enjoyed my exprience and will definately go back. I hope this spa is a huge success as I will definately be telling friends about this fun and unique outdoor spa experience!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends