“Really enjoyed the Spa Experience”

Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed March 15, 2011

My plane for Vancouver was postponed for 26 hours, therefore I decided to kill time at the Cedar Meadows. I was quite impressed with their new Spa Experience that they have available. For $25 extra, I spent 3 hours going between the sauna, the steam room, the outside jacuzzi, the cold pool and the relaxing room. Next time, I will book a massage or other of their treatments offered. By the time I got out of the spa, I found myself that the problems with my flight was a blessing. Northern Ontario is really lucky to have such a nice facility.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NicoleGuertin

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Cedar Meadows is a nice independently run hotel in Timmins. It is one of the nicest hotels in town and is not on the main strip but that is its main charm. I have eaten there in the past and enjoy the buffet meals. My family has also used this facility for sleigh rides and always takes visitors there to go through the wildlife reserve.
They opened a traditional spa a few years ago which I heard was nice although recently they opened a Scandinavian style outdoor spa which uses the principles of warming, cooling and relaxation in order to relax the body and sooth the mind. I have been to many spas like this in the past and feel this spa has the main concepts down pat but some tweaking is required.

There are three outdoor pools, one hot, one room temperature and one cold plunge pool. The cold plunge pool was not working properly so was closed. The maintenance man said probably this cold pool will be closed all winter. The area the outdoor pools are in is enclosed by the hotel and spa itself which is a nicely designed building. Unfortunately on the opposite side of the the pools there is a large wooden wall/fence. This makes the area feel very enclosed and tight. Not sure what is behind the fence but opening that area up would make the experience more relaxing and open. You would see more nature and less of the buldings surrounding the complex if it were opened up. I liked having the room temperature pool so you can swim in a cooler pool and stay in longer. I also like the depth of that pool. Many cold plunge pools are just not deep enough to totally submerge yourself in and are often too cold to stay in for longer than a few seconds to minute. Another great feature outside was the heated walkways. I have been to an outdoor spa like this that didn't have heated walkways and it was very hard to navigate. Very easy to walk around without slipping at this spa. The waterfall(s) were a nice feature as well as the outdoor fire and Muskoka chairs to relax in although a little too cold to do that the day I went!

Inside the facility there are two lounge areas, one "nature" themed and the other more contemporary and is more for the traditional spa experience. There is also a very nice but small sauna which was just great. They also have a tiled steamroom which is beautifully tiled, nicely lite and hot! Unfortunately they infuse the steamroom with a perfume scent that is too overpowering and not relaxing at all. I think a eucalyptis infusion would be more "natural" as this perfume scent stayed on your skin even after you have left the steamroom. Definately this need to change in my opinion. There is also a rainforest shower in this area and the changes seemed spacious and comfortable. I think the check in staff should learn to hand out lockers a little better. There were only two other men there while I was there and one of them had a locker right beside mine. I think spreading out the lockers when so few people are present is just better business practice. Gives guys some elbow room. I also was given a lower level locker which was fine but an upper locker would have been easier access and again, better business practice.

Throughout all the rooms there is music playing and I really did not find this music relaxing. Firstly it was too loud in the steam room and secondly the chosen music was acoustic piano versions of such songs as "Amazing Grace" and other spiritual songs. Totally a wrong choice for relaxation in a nature themed spa. Hopefully they change this before my next visit. The maintenance man did come and ask if the music was too loud which was very thoughtful of him!

Also my friend and I were going to have lunch at the spa from a limited menu. Unfortunately we were told we would have to come out of the spa and eat at a little bistro table in the lobby of the spa. I didn't find this to be a great option for dining. Not sure what they can do about this! We opted not to eat there!

Overall I enjoyed my exprience and will definately go back. I hope this spa is a huge success as I will definately be telling friends about this fun and unique outdoor spa experience!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TORN1
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I have nothing but great things to say about this resort. from the amazing front desk staff to the servers in the restaurant to the spa, it is like heaven! such attentive staff with great customer service skills! made me feel so welcome!!! if I could have a monthly trip to cedar meadows I would. I absolutely recommend the new spa that they have created, such a relaxing experience. Keep up the amazing work!! such a lovely resort!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My wife and I spent a night here, for the most part we just wanted to relax for one night , get away and refuel before the holiday madness. My bigest issue with this room ( Radison) is the main bedroom is directly against the main hallway stairs, so it will be noisy and if there are any x-mas party scheduled be ready to enjoy some of there music . Actualy you could hear all the words to the song from our room. Please check the night life schedule before booking this room. Its a nice place and they do cater to all and just keep this in mind when you book

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yveslamothe2phast
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Our Company/firm made dinner reservations to celebrate our recent milestone - (our firm uses this hotel for many functions throughout the year).
Upon entering the hotel, our group stood waiting for 3 of the hotel personnel at the front desk to stop speaking in French and decide to notice us, as we were not sure where to go. We informed them of our reservation and were told "oh that group has left". Again we mentioned we were there for dinner and one lady physically pointed and told to go to the dining room. Upon entering the dining room, there was no one to show us where our group was to go. The bar person asked us and wasn't sure and didn't seem interested in finding someone to help us. So we stood around until someone again noticed us and motioned us towards a back room , that is used for meetings. Upon entering this brightly lite room, it was long and narrow with just enough room for the tables and chairs. At the end of the room was a projection screen - so obviously they use this room for meetings. We asked if the lights could be dimmed, but no - no dimmer switch. So imagine trying to enjoy a nice dinner with your colleagues and no atmosphere to enjoy it in. The meal was so-so, food wasn't hot, service was slow , we had two waitresses but they didn't seem interested in serving our group. One person in our party didn't receive their dinner until way after the rest of us. They were reimbursed for this, but still, we were there to celebrate and would have enjoyed decent service. We never heard about their daily dinner specials but we got to read about it on our way to the washrooms. The servers didn't recommend anything on the menu not even wine, so it was up to you to decide. The rest of the restaurant area was nicely lit for an evening dinner, but our room was like walking into a flood light! They could try to hide the projection screen a bit or put a dimmer switch on and put some small candles on the tables if they want to use this room for dual purposes. Wouldn't cost much.
We were dissapointed with this dining experience , after spending $50 (one way) on a cab to get there. Their location is not central. Better service, attention to detail, hotter food, dining atmosphere would have made this dinner more memorable. For the prices they charge on the menu, you should get more.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Northernfly
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2010

We are sorry that your experience at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations.

We apologize for the lack of service and for the confusion in where the dinner was to be held that evening. We do have a board with all events posted in the entrance but will try to make it more noticeable in order to prevent this from happening in the future. In regards to our employees speaking amongst each other when you arrived (French or English, whatever the language), we agree that acknowledging the guests is extremely important (first impression is everything) and we are sorry this was not the case upon your arrival.

As for the meeting room your group was put into that evening, it is one of our newer rooms and do need to add certain features in order to improve certain aspects (such as the lighting). A dimmer is something we are looking into getting since, as you mentioned, although the lighting is appropriate for a meeting, it will be nice to create a different feel for events such as your own.

Thank you for your candidness. We have appreciated your business in the past and we hope you will feel comfortable to try us again in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2010

We stayed for one night and found the standard room to be large, clean, and comfortable. We ran two laptops on the wireless internet without any connection hassles. We enjoyed the breakfast and the folksy service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2010

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa in Timmins. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2010

Front Desk Service non-existant; kids screaming up and down the halls at 7 am each day. Amenities that are out-classed by a Super-8. Cedar Meadows used to be a nice hotel. Stayed there several years ago and was impressed with the experience. Went back and was very disappointed. The last straw was being over-charged $45 for my room, with a confirmation in my hand the front desk staffer tried to call the manager who disappeared delaying my checkout from this nightmare stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WorldExec
CMR1000, Manager at Cedar Meadows Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2010

Timmins is a very popular city when it comes to winter Sports Teams. Like all hotels in Timmins, we do rent out some of our rooms to these teams. Although these teams are advised to keep noise levels down, this is not always the case. We do ask other hotel guests (here on Business for example) to let us know if other guests are being too noisy (running up and down the halls).

We do have someone at our front desk 24/7 in order to assist our guests for whatever they may need. Our rates are based on Double occupancy and we do quote this rate if a person says there will be only 2 people in the room. However, like every hotel, we do charge $10 per additional person in the room if we find out, upon arrival, there are 4 people in a room. This means additional cleaning services for this room will be needed.

Although I am present at the resort 6 days per week and work 8 to 12 hour shifts, it is impossible for me as the Manager to be available 24/7 and I do take 1 day off per week.