“Rather unpleasant”
Review of The Senator Hotel

The Senator Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Stayed in room 101. The room was smelly, the bathtub was dirty with plenty of chips torn off. Wall and doors were dirty as well. Bed was lumpy. Traffic noise all night from being right on the street kept us awake all night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mhl1

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Great room...
They had to upgrade me because my room wasnt ready
I got a suite
42" TV - Large room with electric simulated fireplace, fridge microwave!!
Great staff - Had to photocopy and print a bunch of work...they were happy to assist
I will stay here each time I have to come to Timmins!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I travel through Timmins 3 times a year, as I work further north and my family is much further south. I have had difficulty finding a budget accommodation that is comfortable. I never thought Days Inn would be that place. IT IS. And, it accommodates Dogs! I recommend Days Inn highly. Great Breakfast!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
daysinntimmins, Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2010

We are delighted to welcome you and your pet as our guests.
Upon check in at the hotel guests receive a pet welcome package containing:
Dog treats (2)
Disposal bags (2)
Map with directions to pet friendly parks
"Pet in room" do not disturb sign

We're pleased to see you enjoyed our free continental breakfast served daily in our Daybreak Cafe. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Carmen Swartz
Operations Manager

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I worked in Timmins during September and was put up in this hotel by my employer (I had no choice as the Travelodge was full). I had stayed here before over the past 8 years and little has changed over that time.

This hotel has two sections, the main tower, and the East tower. The main tower is accessed from the elevator off the lobby, while the East tower requires you take those same elevators to the 1st floor, walk down a long hallway, find another elevator, and go up to your floor. It's more confusing than it sounds. The underground parking is very tight and if you have a large vehicle it'll be difficult getting any lower than the first level.

I've read that some reviewers have stayed in 'renovated' rooms and apparently I did not get one. I stayed in the main tower, on the fifth floor, in a room that was in terrible need of attention. The first thing that hits you is the carpet. Disgusting is not too strong of a word; it was used (which I could live with) and badly stained. Not just one stain, but several stains, all over the carpet. The bathroom was very dated, old floor, old tub, but it was acceptably clean. One of the beds had an odour so I slept in the other which was acceptable, but certainly not new, and the pillows could stand to be replaced along with the bed spread. The heating controls are provided by a thru-the-wall air conditioning/heating unit - old and noisy, but it heated adequately.

The room had a fridge and microwave, both were clean and quiet. The television was a new LCD which looked completely out of place in this dated, and neglected room, but it distracted me from my surroundings while it was on. Wireless internet access was acceptably fast (100k/sec on average) and VPN worked fine on it.

In the hallway, near the elevators, I looked up to see two globe lights with a number of dead flies in them. It would take minutes to clean this up, but they were there every day of my stay - I guess no one notices.

The work-out room is now on the second floor (main tower) and has several newer pieces of cardio equipment and one multi-gym (though one part of the machine was broken). The treadmill worked fine, though the belt was starting to slip slightly. Accessing the gym requires another key-card that you get at the front-desk which is inconvenient. Your regular room key should be able to open this room.

Check-in staff were pleasant enough; I had no contact with other staff as my room was cleaned while I was out working.

I would not choose to stay here again unless I was guaranteed a renovated room. For some reason hotels in Timmins are always booked solid, and it seems the owner(s) have little reason to update or renovate them. A new hotel in Timmins would make a killing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Highrize
daysinntimmins, Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to express your disappointment with your stay at the Days Inn Timmins. We are continuing to renovate and will have the 5th floor renovated by the 3rd week of January 2011. This floor will feature new capeting, new beds, new bedding, new furniture and new washrooms. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed our fitness centre and felt our staff was pleasant. We hope to see you again in the future.

Staff & Management

Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a business trip. Check-in staff was awesome and very friendly! Definitely the best part of the hotel.

The room itself left a lot to be desired. I was given a room in the east tower. Apparently the West tower is being reno'd. I can see why - the east rooms are tired(!)

The room was well kept, and appeared very clean - but maintenance and years of use were showing their age. The facuet in the tub leaked constantly and the tub was badly stained (from hard water not dirt). The doors were *very* thin and I could hear everyone in the hallway. Door locks seemed flimsy, but I wasn't worried about security - again, not bad just really worn.

Overall - I'd consider staying here again, especially if I can get an upgraded room... for business the room was fine and free internet was nice - but definietly not a vacation destination!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We recently stayed at the Days Inn in Timmins on a hockey tournament. While the room was fine the layout of the hotel is absolutely insane. There just seems to be no simple way of getting to the main lobby. Signage is terrible. With different towers you need simple directions and there were none. The underground parking is a nightmare. Extremely tight to park and if you have a truck you cannot get to the second or third level down without ripping your roof off. Plus, if the parking is full, you ( and the rest of the cars that are trying to park ) have to back up to get out. There is no exit. If you have to park outside then you have to park a block away. The maid came at 10 a.m. and asked if we needed our room done ( we were just getting up) and then never returned. High speed wireless internet was advertised yet when it did not work no one seemed to care. At over one hundred dollars a night it was a rip off.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
daysinntimmins, Carmen Swartz, Operations Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Please know that some of your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. I would also like to take this opportunity to respond to some of your concerns.
We are currently renovating our entire first floor and adding new, more detailed signage. We have also purchased an additional wireless access point and placed it near the dining room to provide our guests with a stonger signal. We hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2010

We stayed in a renovated room at the Days Inn. The beds are comfortable and the room is up to the standard of other modern hotels. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only negative part was the heating controls were old-style and it was hard to control the heat level to comfort. Make sure you are in a renovated room.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family