“Best pickerel EVER!!!!”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
French River, Canada
“Best pickerel EVER!!!!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Amazing meal in the dining room, fantastic experience, will recommend to everyone we know, amazing room, very pleased with everything we experienced. More signage indicating elevators for upper floors is needed.

Bryan and Tracey Pearce

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
It is so encouraging to read great comments such as yours! I will pass them along to our Chef
Yvon, Kitchen Staff and Dining Room Staff. Thank you very much and please do come back soon!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The company I was visiting made reservations for me at the Day's Inn in Timmins. Despite the renovations the hotel was average at best. My room was upgraded to a suite which was a bonus considering the size of typical rooms yet I still did not feel comfortable and could help notice the room was not totally clean finding dead flies on the curtains and stains on the bathroom grout. The elevators could also use servicing as the wait delay is too long and unfortunately my suite was adjacent to the elevators which were exceedingly noisy.
Next time I will try he hotel across the street as it appears to be newer and a more reputable brand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wally,
I am very sorry you did not feel comfortable during your last stay with us. I will certainly go over the condition of the suite with housekeeping and maintenance staff very carefully. I do thank you for commenting but only wish you would of contacted me. Have a great week!

Travelers are raving about these Timmins hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I travelled to Timmins for work with three other colleagues and we stayed at the Days Inn as it was very close to our business meeting and the hotel that was first recommended was sold out. One of my colleagues got a nice, renovated room. The rest of us were not so lucky.

We were in the older part of the hotel and I must say that it was the dirtiest, creepiest, smelliest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Because the rooms overlooked the roof of the adjacent building they had only "half" windows that made you feel like you were in a basement even though you weren't. The carpets were dusty and dirty, the room smelled like mould, vomit and air freshener, the furniture had burn marks, and the bathroom was disgusting. I have never seen so much mould in the grout, around the fixtures and in the air vent (which made a clanging noise when you turned it on). And then there was the location of our rooms....

We were women travelling on our own and they put us in the most dimly lit and inaccessible part of the hotel. Two of us were in side-by-side rooms in one hallway, while I was off on my own beside a stairwell that was used by drunken men at all hours of the night. There was a single green light in the hallway outside my room and the chain lock on my room door was broken. My colleagues walked me to my room and I barricaded myself in for the evening while I listened to the drunks hooting and hollering outside. I did not sleep a wink.

To make matters worse, when we discussed our concerns with the front desk staff, one of them was not only unhelpful and dismissive, she was downright belligerent. Incredibly rude and combative, she actually yelled at us when we went to see her about our concerns.

Was there anything good? As I mentioned, one of us got to stay in the new part of the hotel and her room was nice (I went to compare). And, the included breakfast was very good and the staff working in the breakfast room were lovely. This did not compensate for the state of the other rooms or the attitude of the woman at the front desk. I wish I had taken more photos but even then you would not get a sense of the smell and the bad attitude. Stay away!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Sky,
I have read your comments and honestly understand your frutrations with what you experienced at our hotel from what I see last October 2012.
The east wing is the older section of the hotel and did need a lot of repairs which we have done and are still not finished as we are now working in the hallways with stronger lights, wallpaper, carpet, etc.. I wish I could of done something for you then, but If you give us another chance and call me, I will ensure you are upgraded and I can also show you the improvements we made.
Please accept my most sincere apologies and please call me next time you come to Timmins.
Louise
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed there last Friday. Was sentenced to the now-infamous east wing of horrors. Too tired to complain. Bed was comfortable enough but the bathroom was scary. Stayed out of the grimy shower: hey Days Inn, I'm not a biology class experiement! If that wasn't enough the fan was super noisy. Couldn't ventilate. The manager even decided to close down their only restaurant for the weekend. why? who knows no explanation given. Maybe the staff didnt like the food,judging from the absolute sorriest excuse for a free breakfast I have ever seen. Surely this Louise lady will respond to this saying their sorry and the room are all renovated. Adding a new tv doesn't count as a reno.room still stinks.Will never return.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street are nicer apparently
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
What can I say except yes I am sorry you encountered these problems. Point well taken on the closure of the restaurant. Definetely advise our guests in the future. Have a great weekend!
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

A days in is not a Sheraton, and Timmins is not Rome, so my expectations were realistic.

With that in mind, I am delighted. The new rooms (above reception; rather than those in the old part of the hotel), and the suite I had this week, were good; better than I expected. Enough power outlets, even - rare in a hotel. King bed. Nicely decorated. Parking is free, of course. Wireless Internet works great.

The photo shows me in the room.

Room Tip: New rooms are better than the old part of the hotel, which needs a walk and two separate elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Than you for your very positive comments. It's nice when our guests notice the renovations we have done. The east wing is no doubt futher to walk but all the rooms have also been renovated exactly like the tower. We are presently renovating the hallways as well and making them brighter. Have a great weekend!