“awful”
Review of The Senator Hotel

The Senator Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed December 6, 2012

They have the most impolite and rude receptionists I have ever seen in my life,awful service..
They made me wait in the lobby for half an hour for a room which has already been reserved for me and didn't let me check in,at -11 they made me go out of the hotel to go to the bar through back door,gave me a room in front of training room with lots of noise at 6 am,I never found their manager to complain,i had fish for supper which hasn't been cleaned properly and was full of bones.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the treatment you received during your stay with us.
As you could see we were renovating our lobby and entrance and unfortunately because of the way the hotel is built that was the only way in or out. As for the rude desk clerks I will address that issue without delay. I do thank you for pointing that out to me and taking the time to write this. Guests comments are always important and help us improve our defficiencies.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

An older hotel, which has gone through extensive renovations. The rooms are nicely decorated and spacious, the only issue is the bathrooms still have a touch of a dated look to them.
Friendly staff, central location and quite a quiet hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for the great comments. They are always appreciated and encouraging. These comments help us in improving our product and services. Have a great weekend!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Had to stay here on a recent business trip. I rated this place average, and I think this is the best way to describe this hotel. You don't get anything extra, and the breakfast was ok. However I find for myself, I hardly ate anything since I did not like the offerings.

One word of advice, when booking a room ask for one that has been renovated.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Just to let you know that our "older" section is being renovated as I type this. LOL!! The rooms will have all new furniture identical to the Tower Rooms, new beds, freshley painted and renovated bathrooms, and the hallways are also getting new wallpaper, carpet and lighting. So perhaps the next time you come, I can show you the renovations, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Have a great weekend!!!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Hello,

My name is Susan. I`m having trouble getting answers to my problem. Managers didn`t call, no follow up was done.
Here is my problem. I recently went to Timmins, Ontario at your Days Inn on October 5th and 6th for my husband`s grandmother who is very ill. Suggested to all family members to stay at your hotel and regretted that very much.
My problem, upon checking in, my husband gave the clerk our credit card. This was around 2:30pm. We went to have supper in the restaurant in your building, finished around 10:30pm. Told the waitress to charge this to our room. She went to verify at the front desk that we were indeed customers in room 335 and found that our credit card was still at the front desk. She asked the clerk why our card was still there. Nobody had contacted us, no message was left on our phone, nothing. She(waitress) then took our card and hand delivered it to us in the restaurant. I`m sure if this happened to you, you would not be too happy. Very upsetting to know that our credit card was at the front desk all this time and nobody had the decency to let us know. I was told the manager would certainly be contacting me because this was certainly not alright. Nobody has bothered. With the amount of people going through the lobby i am now looking at having to cancel my card. Not to mention that my in-laws called on behalf of all 3 couples those 2 nights that the noise level at 3am was intolerable. Party was on beside us and they were running in the hallway screaming and yelling. Nothing was done on that subject either.

I can't believe nobody is answering to why they never even stopped the screaming in the hallways, even when my inlaws left at 1am because they could not tolerate it anymore.

Even after all these ratings, you people still did not take care of the problems. SOMEONE ANSWER PLEASE.

Susan

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan Losier P
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Good Day ,
I did send a response to you yesterday. I do sincerely apologize for these inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I assure you that these issues have been dealt with accordingly, and I do thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Louise Brazeau
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here on a busy Saturday night when all other places were booked up. We did get a tower room that had been renovated but it was very noisy with traffic sounds all night. The elavators ran at a snail's pace. The worst part was the parking garage. It is not gated, guarded or controled at all. At 6pm the dark entrance had large groups of loitering people smoking and drinking. We entered in a pickup truck and by the second level down, we could find no empty spaces and could go no further because the ceiling is too low, we had to reverse up the two levels through oncoming cars trying to find a space as well. Later in the evening we did find a space on the first level. In the morning we discovered that the loitering crowds of people had used the first level as their washroom and the stink was awful! We had to wash our truck and drive with all windows open for the day. Never again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SEG665
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I personally answered this guest.
Louise Brazeau
Operations Manager.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the Days Inn in Timmins, where I was forced to stay due to a lack of availability anywhere nicer. I booked weeks in advance and based on reviews, requested a tower room. When we arrived, we checked in (which took quite some since since the front desk clerk at the time didn't believe in putting people on the phone on hold), and I attempted to confirm our tower rooms. She said we couldn't have a tower room as we were there for two nights. Great. We parked in the very tight parking lot, we lucked out and got the last spot, then took the tiny elevator up to the "East Wing".

I had the pleasure of staying in Room 219. Upon exiting the elevator we were greeted by the aroma of staleness and mould. The dim lighting (and occasional eerie green light bulb) did little to mask the tired, disgusting carpeting. Upon entering the room I noticed the stains on the carpet. I immediately peeled back the lovely dated 1970's-esque bedspread, and noticed the large stains on the underside. I placed my toiletries in the sink area of the bathroom, and saw the splattered stains on the wall behind the towel bar. Remarkably, the tub appeared clean, though there was a clump of hair inside the toilet. I never did figure out what was splattered beside the door handle leaving the room, though it appears someone did scrape part of it off at some point. The bed was comfortable-ish, not horrible... but the pillows made out of what I can only assume to be chopped up foam (I didn't dare open the pillow case to look) were flat and terrible.

The toilet in room 219 didn't flush. Upon my first shower, the water began backing up. I left a note for the maid and when I returned from my work day the toilet issue was resolved. I opened the fridge to put some bottled water in it, and the fridge STUNK, and was filthy. So much for that. The bathroom mirror in 219 is of midway funhouse quality, and distorts your reflection. I had to get ready in the full length hall mirror instead. And the half windows were a nice touch too... who needs extra light anyways.

We had a conference dinner in the Gallery dining room, and the dinner itself was fairly good, though VERY overpriced. The lovely 'oriental rug' leading to the Gallery itself does little to stimulate the appetite, it needs to be burned. Now. The breakfast included hot items such as sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and pancakes. The pancakes are pasty and dry, someone needs to let up on the Bisquick. The eggs tasted strange. Fruit salad was mushy. The kids running back and forth seemed to enjoy it, as did Harold the fly, who frequented the fruit salad.

Book here ONLY if you are SURE to get a tower room. Don't book online and gamble with requesting a renovated room. If you DO check in and get stuck with an east wing room, turn around and leave, or be prepared to spend your stay playing Guess the Stain.

Never, ever again!

Room Tip: Get a Tower Renovated room or don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank whippetlovr
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

A personal message was sent today.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My room had beer caps on the floor by the bed and hair on the bathroom floor when i arrived. The traffic outside kept me up most of the night. The fitness centre had 2 machines out of order (half of them). The front desk staff were very nice but the hotel was supremely lacking. The layout is difficult to navigate and it takes two different elevators to get from the lobby to the second floor. One final nail in the coffin... I had a bag of jelly beans which I left on the top of my suitcase and closed the top (didn't zip it). They were gone when I got back at the end of the day... I searched the room and emptied my bags. I don't care about the candy but I do care about the principle.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the roadway.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate L
Louise B, Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

A response was sent directly to sender