“Some good qualities”
Review of The Senator Hotel

The Senator Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Timmins
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel does have issues as other reviews have pointed out. I have stayed here many times on business. The reasons I stay here are that there are no other clearly better options, the restaurant is probably the best one in the city, the staff are very accommodating, the parking is tight but covered and if you request a renovated room, you will get a very decent room. They will have to address their issues the best they can soon because a brand new hotel is under construction across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

I responded directly to guest

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel was chosen due to its central location in Timmins. That is the only, and I do mean only positive attribute of this, dare I say hotel. I agree with another reviewer that it is the most insane, ridiculous layout I have ever seen. We stayed unfortunately in the dreaded East Wing. After checking in, we were told to take one elevator up one floor, exit and then take another elevator one more floor up. This section of the hotel only has three floors! The elevator was so small that someone in our group had to literally hold his suitcase over his head so the five of us could fit in at one time. After walking a maze of hallways, we finally found the second elevator that took us to our floor. I had a king size bed that was actually comfortable. However I only had two very small and flimbsy pillows. There was a working air conditioner, fridge and microwave in the room as well as a flat screen TV that had a decent picture. The room for the most part was clean, however the stainless steel cover for the tissue holder in the washroom was falling of the wall. I found the bath towels small and not very soft. The night before we checked out, I came back to my room to find that hosekeeping hadn't closed my door all the way. Luckily I didn't have anything stolen from my room. The next morning after, dare I say again breakfast, my key wouldn't work. So after a ten minute journey to the front desk, my key was replaced without so much as an apology for the inconvenience. The parking garage is dark and confusing. Very poorly designed. The free continental breakfast was nothing to write home about. The overall condition of the hotel is deteriorated and need of a major overhaul. I had old pizza boxes from the room next door in the hallway for three days straight. Apparently housekeeping is not only forgetfull, but have a hard time seeing as well. Just pure laziness in the staff with a very obvious "we don't care" attitude. Take my advice, don't stay here! Thank godness I will never have to in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marc L
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I did send a reponse on July 20th to Marc.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed at Days Inn for business and when I first arrived in the Lobby, I thought oh my this is like a motel, very dated and dark. I just looked on-line and there are pictures that are showing an updated lobby. Staff very freindly, got to room and it was much better than lobby, I think it was an upgraded room. The conference rooms were okay also dated they said they were in the midst of doing upgrades, they will need to because they are building new hotels around the area. Lots of compitition. The most surprising thing about this hotel is that they have a fine dinning restuarant there and it totally seems like it belongs at a 5 star hotel. Food excellent!!!
Would I stay again, only if my company books my seminar there, otherwise I would try a newer hotel. If they upgrade the hotel, I would consider staying again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

What a pleasure to read your review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay as well as our Hotel. We do have the best staff and our accommodations are very large, modern and comfortable. Our Gallery Dining Room is definitely the best by far. Thank you and do come back soon!!!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Booked a meeting with the Days Inn to host my wedding. We wanted a classy place and were willing to pay the extra expense. Louise (the woman we met at the meeting) showed up very late, and was terribly rude about it. The booking costs she presented us with were almost double the advertised rate on the website, and she made absolutely no apologies for it. She was unwilling to guarantee the booking rates if we put down a deposit, and again, she was outrageously rude about it. We walked away feeling like second rate citizens - the Days Inn knows they are one of the only games in town, and they don't care about their customers as a result.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

I replie directly to sender

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Something weird about this hotel. Not necessarily in a bad way. The dining room has to be visited. It has quite fascinating and remarkable 'pre-modern' decore. I don't know how else to describe it. An ambitious menu where what I ordered was what I received with pleasant service.

Room was clean, soft bed, thin pillows. Car parks were very narrow and tricky to get into with the car we had. Served the purpose well.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

A message was sent directly to sender

Reviewed May 24, 2012

The hotel over booked for a wedding and a sports tournament and we were left hunting for a place to stay without any notice. Shameful. Even the bride and groom were left scrambling with no honeymoon suite. And no compensation either. Not even an apology. Appalling.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CanadaMama4
Reviewed April 14, 2012

A good location in Timmins. I have stayed here a number of times when visit Timmins. Ask for the renovated wing of the hotel - there's an additional cost ($15ish) but worth it. TIP: the demand on hotel rooms right now is very high. New hotels are in the works but best to book ahead for now :) Below is a more detailed review of my most recent stay:

SERVICE: Fine. No issues.

ROOM: Very clean, updated room with updated bedding. Bar fridge and flat screen TV. Coffee and Wifi included. Loved the big comfortable chair.

BATHROOM: Clean. Shampoo and bar-soap provided. Conditioner and lotion would have been a nice addition.

FOOD: Continental breakfast included with room. Decent selection including: coffee, juice, bagels, pastries, fruit salad, and a couple types of cereal. The restaurant in the hotel is quite nice and features a good menu.

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded/renovated section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kristy31

I replied directly to sender.