The Senator Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bon Air Motel(Timmins)
View Hotel
All reviewsdays inndining roomcovered parkingexcellent customer servicecleaning staffking bedstayed one nightenjoyed my stayconference roomclean roomsgreat place to staynathalieweddingvehicle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 14, 2012

A good location in Timmins. I have stayed here a number of times when visit Timmins. Ask for the renovated wing of the hotel - there's an additional cost ($15ish) but worth it. TIP: the demand on hotel rooms right now is very high. New hotels are in the works but best to book ahead for now :) Below is a more detailed review of my most recent stay:

SERVICE: Fine. No issues.

ROOM: Very clean, updated room with updated bedding. Bar fridge and flat screen TV. Coffee and Wifi included. Loved the big comfortable chair.

BATHROOM: Clean. Shampoo and bar-soap provided. Conditioner and lotion would have been a nice addition.

FOOD: Continental breakfast included with room. Decent selection including: coffee, juice, bagels, pastries, fruit salad, and a couple types of cereal. The restaurant in the hotel is quite nice and features a good menu.

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded/renovated section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kristy31
Louise B, General Manager at The Senator Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

I replied directly to sender.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Front Desk receptionist was very dismissive politely speaking! Room was cold, had to ask three times for extra blankets. Cold air was coming through wall around heating system. One good thing I have to say is that the Porter who finally came with blankets was very nice. Overall I would not stay there again and would not recommend to anyone I know to stay there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nikki L
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was happy to see that the hotel is under renovations. The beds were the best I've slept on in a long time. Glad to see that the rooms l have flat screen tv's. I used the washing machine that was available for free which was a bonus when I was there for 2 weeks. The dining room was extremely satisfying and I was happy that a pharmacy and grocerie store was close by. The front desk staff was so friendly that they made me feel like at home. I can't wait to see the hotel when the renovations are completed.

Room Tip: I was on the higher floor which has a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tammy B
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I would absolutely never stay at this hotel again. I asked for a non-smoking room, however when I arrived, the room strongly smelled of smoke. I call down to reception, told them the issue and was informed that there was nothing they could do. The man I spoke with didn't seem to care at all.
Around 9 pm I decided to use the workout room. Shortly after I arrived in the room which had no windows out to the hall and required a key to get in, I was followed up by two men who had convinced reception to give them keys, despite having come from the bar and not wearing working clothes. Never in my life have I been so concerned for my personal safety. I left as soon as I could and went down to reception and told them of the situation. The woman working said "Oh they weren't supposed to do that. I know who they are so I'll talk to them." Regardless to say I did not feel better about the situation.
I will never recommend this hotel and the staff needs to be better trained on guest service and safety procedures.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed at this hotel September 27 and 28th, 2011 in room 217. I was suppose to stay the 29th as well but decided to leave. I actually tried to find another place in town as soon as I arrived at the hotel, but it is impossible to find rooms in Timmins throughout the week. I will start by saying I don't expect a palace when travelling, but I want clean and for the room to have what they claim to have.

First, I was travelling on business. I tend to bring a cooler of food with me for making lunches and snacks to help cut a bit of costs. I also keep to a pretty strict diet and like to have some better options when living on the road, I don't like the idea of sacrificing my weight and health for my company. With this in mind, the hotel's claim of refrigerators in their king rooms was one factor that I used in making my decision to book a room here. When I got to my room there was no fridge. I called the front desk and asked about this. They asked "you don't have a fridge in your room?", I confirmed I did not, and they stated that they can't guarantee that you get a fridge, but they do have them in their renovated rooms. I reminded them that the website currently says that fridges are in the room. Bottom line, didn't get a fridge and I had to throw out some of the food I had brought.

The upkeep onsite is terrible. The halls are disgusting and dingy. Bathroom was dirty when I arrived with the shower drain being full of hair. And I don't mean it is clogged somewhere in the drain and the tub drains slowly. I mean the top of the plug, fully visible and reachable, had a clump of hair in it. When I checked in, they told me what elevator to use as "we don't know if the other one is working yet". Nice.

I asked if the rooms had hardwire interenet as I work for government and we can not use wireless for our laptops. They only had wireless in the rooms (which I am use to as it is common now), but when I asked about their business centre I was informed that their computers crashed at some point so they don't have a business centre anymore.

I also found that this hotel did not splurge by having much signage around the halls and stairwells. Coming from the second floor of the east tower I knew I had to go down one floor for breakfast. But when you hit the bottom of the stairs or come out of the elevator, you have no idea where to go.

Go somewhere else. While stopping in at other hotels I stopped at the Super 8. There were no rooms available there, but the woman working the front desk there was very helpful and informative on what to do and where the "must go" places were for dinner.

Room Tip: find one somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business