“Super food - Super service”
Review of Lot 66

Lot 66
Ranked #1 of 301 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have dined here quite a number of times - and each time has been a positive experience. From ordering off their menu, to their incredible $30 Prix Fixe to their $8 after 8 pizzas on Thursdays, nothing disappointed. This is paired with reasonable wine choices as well as locally produced beer. They also attempt to use as much local produce as possible. So, from fish to steak to pizza and beer, served with a pleasant smile, we highly recommend this restaurant.
We have to add - do make a reservation. Even on Thursday nights starting when they open at 5 pm, they can be fully booked.

4  Thank Shayladog

Reviewed July 11, 2013

In Thunder Bay for a week for a visit, we ate here twice mid-week. Both times were a great experience!

Our first visit on a Tuesday evening started with two perfect cocktails. For food, we decided to go with a few small plates since there were so many that we wanted to try! My wife raved over the scallops with leeks and bacon while I thought they were good, but pretty standard. Wild mushroom crostini was very good. I had the ahi tuna and it had very good flavors too - the seaweed salad that accompanied it was delicious! The arancini again was very good. I know I am sounding like a broken record here but this first meal was an enjoyable experience, but no "wow" factor....

The next night we returned with a friend and the "wow" factor revealed itself :-) We had the fried artichoke hearts, carpaccio, and spicy Thai mussels to start. Each starter was magnificent!! For mains we enjoyed the coffee and ancho crusted pork tenderloin (cooked perfectly) with risotto and asparagus (grilled perfectly!), sea bass with lobster cream reduction, and a crazy-good pan-seared duck breast with a cassis and blueberry reduction.

The pace of the meal was ours - our server was attentive, helpful and friendly. We lazed around for three hours enjoying the evening and there was no pressure whatsoever to "hurry up" as we closed the place at 11:30pm....

Well done!!

4  Thank technokidz
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This restaurant was suggested to me by a local, and since I was in town for a conference, and wanted to have some quality food I decided to give it a try.

It was not very busy when I went in, on a weekday afternoon, not surprising.

The ambience of the place was ok, although the area it's in seems a little out of place
considering this is a higher end restaurant.

Had a seat at the bar and was going to order a beer; however as it turns out, their
draft taps were not working that day, so I ordered a glass of red wine instead.
They had a reasonable selection of wines here.

The bartender was relatively new, and still finding his way around the bar area, so to speak,
and I took a look at the menu.

What caught my eye was the "Grilled Artichoke Salad". Not something you see very often
on any menu!

It turned about to be very tasty, and every mouthful was a pleasure to eat.

I sent my compliments to the chef, who later came out to introduce himself.
He was also kind enough to offer that he could prepare anything I liked that was not
on the menu.

All in all, a great experience and I look forward to going back when next in the Thunder Bay area.

3  Thank RayToronto70
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have been dining here for past few years and have always left happy but last 2 visits have been very disappointing. Most recently we ordered the Alaskan Scallops appetizer for $14. Three tiny scallops each the size of a quarter, broken in pieces and hidden under chopped bacon & onions. What a ripoff!!! This restaurant should be ashamed of themselves for serving a dish of such low quality to patrons who pay premium rates for fine dining. I've seen larger scallops at Metro. If you can't find quality ingredients don't offer it on your menu until you can. Our previous experience back in February was also ruined by a waiter named Tremblay who was rude and incompetent, couldn't get our order right, and rolled his eyeballs when we tried to explain what was wrong. Should our next visit there turn into yet again one more negative dining experience, strike 3 and you're out Lot 66. We'll take our $150-$200 tab typically spent there in one evening elsewhere.

3  Thank goodtogoCanada
Mike R, Owner at Lot 66, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

First of all, I would like to apologize for the scallop dish, you were absolutely right. We have been having issues with them (ie shrinkage), and that dish should never have left the kitchen. If we can not find a solution they will be coming off the menu. I have tried to contact you twice to offer you either a tasting menu or dinner for two on me. The offer still stands. At Lot 66 our goal is 100% customer satisfaction every visit.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We're really blessed in Thunder Bay to have so many top Chefs; one of our finest is without a doubt Mike Roulston.
Earlier this year in March we had the honor of Mike preparing a five course dinner on a quiet night (you don't see too many Restaurants advertising on their website that they'll cook anything you'd like if given 48 hours notice), and were just blown away by his creations: the always incredible Lot 66 Caesar, followed by Pan seared scallops, then Shrimp in a pernod sauce. The main was the best Rack of Lamb (Alberta, not New Zealand) I ever had, followed by deserts. We were so fortunate to have had his full attention that night; a night of dining we won't forget!
Sooooo, of course we went back again tonight (better late than never for this latest review; haven't been on Trip Advisor in 3 months), this time with daughter in tow!
Folks, if you have any zeal for spicy food, you have to try Mike's Spicy Jamaican Shrimp! It's done in a Jerk butter reduction and is simply amazing. Make sure you have some bread on hand, but one time I ordered it with the Fried Artichoke hearts and ate them together; it was a match made in heaven! We had the scallops again (thanks to the March visit) and then went with the Price Fix Menu. My daughter and I loved the Swordfish, a tricky, delicate dish to prepare, but not to worry, Mike nailed it! My wife had the Lemon Garlic Jumbo Shrimp and was also very impressed.
Anyone that visits with any regularity know what I'm talking about; it's been this way for years! Thanks again, Mike; 2 great visits!!

3  Thank Rink64