“Interesting but annoying”

Fort William Historical Park
Ranked #3 of 65 things to do in Thunder Bay
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is a really interesting place, and while I appreciate the period costumes that the staff wear, their insistence on being 'in character' was really annoying. Really, really annoying. The day we went, there was a native festival being held, so admission was free, thanks to sponsors. It normally costs $17/adult. I would have felt ripped off if I had paid that much to have all these people pretending to be period characters.

1  Thank Trevor T
There are newer reviews for Fort William Historical Park

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We have gone to Old Fort Williams numerous times with a variety of aged children from toddlers to teenagers and we have all enjoyed it every time. The workers stay in character and they have educational and fascinating displays like a working farm,bakery,tin smith,blacksmith and "meetings" of the fur trading companies that you can get a real feel for the time period-we always spent the whole day and regretted having to leave.

3  Thank jflock
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon at Fort William. We could have spent much more time there. Every person who worked within the Fort was in character and presented themselves as if we were visitor into the past. They must have to take extensive training to work there as each person was a wealth of information and spoke so knowledgeably about life in Fort William. It was really interesting hearing the historical information in such a fun way. I definitely recommend this as a stop when in Thunder Bay for all age groups.

1  Thank discover-fun
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We went, we saw, we enjoyed. The cast and crew are pretty well versed in their particular roles. It is actually kind of entertaining to try to trip them up and drag them back into this century. The cast is largely comprised of post secondary students, trying to make a summer buck, pass on some knowledge, and have some fun while doing it. To the cast and crew, job well done.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

Just fyi...no one goes camping in Thunder Bay in May. Even late May. It's cold. However, my friends and I picked the date that worked best for our schedules...and we were rewarded by having the campground and surrounding attractions to ourselves, even if we had to shiver through the nights.
Fort William, likewise, was pretty dead. This was one rare place where I think a few more people would have contributed positively to the experience. At Fort William, employees act as tour guides while acting out their positions as though it is still 1815. This makes for an AWESOME experience. However, when there are only a few tourists in the fort, less places are up and running (the fort is, in fact, a working fort--they really bake in the bakery, make boats in the canoe shop, do metal working and blacksmithing in that building, etc.) The "characters" are not so much acting all the time as standing around (some working) and waiting to tell you about their particular area.
I'm sure seeing the fort in full swing in the middle of June or July would be truly an amazing and enlightening experience. In late May...it was still really cool. Just a little quieter.

4  Thank ShiningHalo