“Great food, wonderful atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Silver Birch

The Silver Birch
Ranked #2 of 287 Restaurants in Thunder Bay
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Silver Birch is an exciting new addition to Thunder Bay's vibrant restaurant district. Our intimate casual dining atmosphere with a view of Lake Superior sets us apart from the rest. With a Northern Canadian focus we celebrate the food culture of our unique landscape featuring locally sourced fish,beef,rabbit,cheese and more! Join us for a Northern culinary adventure. We would be very pleased to serve you!
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Great food, wonderful atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

I decided to try out The Silver Birch because I had only heard positive reviews from people, and they were all right! It's rare to only hear good things about a restaurant, but they do deserve it. The service was great, it is exactly what I would expect at this type of establishment. Our server was courteous, very educated on the menu options and came around to check on us at the perfect times (not so often that it was annoying and not so rarely that we were looking for him). I started my meal with a Caesar salad - feel that this is kind of a staple and if a restaurant can't pull off a decent Caesar salad then I don't have much hope! The salad was great, I loved the elk chips and the bannock croutons were awesome! I had the whitefish and it was perfect - truthfully, I do think you could wrap just about anything in proscuitto and I'd fall in love with it - but the wild rice risotto was great too. I finished my meal with the toasted marshmallow chocolate cake, now it wasn't what I was expecting but that doesn't mean that it wasn't delicious! It had a hint of heat to it, which was a surprise and I'm still not sure how I feel about chili pepper flavours with chocolate - but that's a personal taste. Here's the only thing that I was a little disappointed with - having been familiar with Darlene's (the owner) cakes over many years, I was kind of hoping for a bigger dessert menu with options that were a bit more appealing. I only ordered my dessert because I knew it had to be good, but truthfully nothing on that dessert menu interested me all that much.
I love the way they have decorated the place. I did eat there when it was Armando's and it's amazing how you can take one place and change it so much. It has a sleek and elegant design which is cozy and comfortable as well.
I look forward to going here again!

• Visited February 2014

Thunder Bay
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

We have been to this restaurant a number of times and have never been disappointed with the meals and wine. They make the best Bouillabaisse that I have tasted. Every dish that we have ordered has been extremely enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Marsha C
Keewatin
“Milestone Birthday Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Celebrated a family event, (Mom's 90th birthday) with a group of seven and really enjoyed the evening. Only had one appetizer since we didn't want to spoil the entrees and all were enjoyable.
House wine is a very nice Pelee Island and we all enjoyed it. We even asked for a cake for the birthday and they provided a nice chocolate cake with a candle.
The atmosphere is relaxing, the service is nice and all the staff are professional and pleasant. Thought the prices were appropriate for the quality. We all live outside of Thunder Bay but would be happy to return on another visit.

1 Thank Murphyflyer
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had wonderful meals at the Silver Birch this evening. The starters are are creative and yummy. The wild rice soup had a wonderful texture and taste and the cranberries added a perfect tangy accent. The rabbit entrée was divine and the steak dinner was delicious. The house made ketchup complimented the steak perfectly. The wine recommended to accompany the rabbit was perfect. The staff are very friendly and efficient and the ambience is warm and welcoming. We didn't have room to have one of Darlene's desserts but know from previous visits that they too are delicious.

1 Thank 644gardener
“Superb cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

What a lovely restaurant. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the food! Oh the food! So incredibly flavorful. The menu is varied so you shouldn't be disappointed.
Everything is al a carte so prepare to spend a little extra. The portions aren't huge but are more than satisfying.

2 Thank Shamusmom