“Why go to Lebanon?”

Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Why go to Lebanon?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've been to this Lebanese/Mediterranean cafe several times and attempt to try something new each time. Everything is so good that I keep ordering an extra dish on top of the ones I already love. It gets a little embarassing when all the plates go back licked clean and the waiter looks for a hockey team squirrelled away under the table. I think the reason there are no reviews yet is because all the dishes have names that are kind of difficult to spell, never mind pronounce! Don't worry, the menu is numbered and the wait staff are extremely helpful and tolerant. Here goes. . .Labneh (thick and delicious yoghurt dip drizzled with olive oil that could only improve with fresh mint rather than dried flakes), Warak Inab (like dolmades but better), Hummus, Makdous (my newest love; baby eggplants stuffed with walnuts and peppers) are all great appetizers. The tabouleh salad has way more parsley than tabouleh usually does, (portions are generous so better ordered as a shared appetizer than side salad). I've tried both Shish Tawouk and Shish kabob; very tasty chicken or beef, skewered and served with your choice of sides, but once I tried the Chicken schwarma served on Fatoush salad topped with little bits of fried pita and smothered in a snappy and tart lemon/garlic dressing, well there was no turning back. And oh! I never have room for the lentil soup which all my companions rave about. Same goes for dessert, by the time I polish off all those appetizers, I can't possibly make room for their homemade custard filled filo pastry which I understand is probably worth its weight in calories. Oh for a beer to wash it all down. No liquor license, so it will be take away next time for sure (and not so embarrassing if they think I'm feeding the Thunderwolves).

• Visited September 2012