Review Highlights

Reviewed August 27, 2018
SDe499259
Fort Frances, Canada
via mobile

All reviews blue point the owner rock piles no frills bug spray per pound for sale take home open pit treasure hunting rock hounds safety glasses fun experience small pieces an absolute blast bring cash small bucket
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Very different activity for the family. You grab a crowbar and some gloves and you start digging for Amethyst in a rock field. You wash them off after and you can pay to bring them home.

1  Thank Mel L
Reviewed October 1, 2018

We collected some stones with amethyst on them, a nice experience, picked our own rocks and paid for what we had in our pail, not too expensive.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

My 9 year old daughter and I drove out here today. We decided to go to Blue Point because it was on Trip Advisor even though Diamond Willow Mine’s signs were everywhere and looked more modern than Blue Point’s. I was happy with our decision because it was an authentic experience where we spent an hour wandering through piles of rock with lots of Amethyst to be found. My daughter said it was “an exciting adventure to find treasure”! We were very happy with our finds and brought back a bucket of our choices for $25 (bring cash!). Running shoes, jeans, gloves and a hammer and chisel are a must. Also bring protective eyewear if you plan on smashing rocks to get out the best pieces. We had sunglasses so that was ok. It was a cooler cloudy day in August with no bugs but once the clouds rolled away we got very hot and wanted to get going. (Bring your own water too!) It’s not a fancy place. There was no store and I think there was an outhouse but we didn’t use it. Rustic. But recommended as an authentic, fun, productive afternoon!

1  Thank SDe499259
Reviewed August 6, 2018

To reach the mine takes perhaps 20 minutes and some of the roads are in poor shape. It can be rather dusty. Upon reaching the mine (open pit) you will see building. Here you pay your admission. You can also buy snacks and drinks here. Amethyst related items are also for sale. There is a short tour by a knowledgeable staff member. Once completed you can search a large area for amethyst rocks. There is a fee per pound for rocks taken. Some may be disappointed.

8  Thank mark o
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We chose this amethyst mine based on the reviews that we read on Tripadvisor. When we pulled up, we saw the owner cleaning up some pieces of amethyst. He was friendly and told us $25 cash a bucket. We took the bucket and got plenty of pieces for the price. We spent about 45 minutes there and recommend it, if you want to visit a mine that is a good value without all the touristy gift shop stuff. There is an outhouse if you need to use the restroom.

1  Thank AleciaLester
Reviewed July 28, 2018

We come up to Thunder Bay just to get amethyst, so this trip we decided to hit both Blue Point and Panorama. I think if you know what to expect from both places, you will have an excellent time.

Blue point is the place to go if you want to get a lot of amethyst without breaking the bank. There's no fancy store front, no big fancy signs, or even employees. You go there, you meet the owner, and pay him a flat fee per bucket of amethyst. No admission fees, stay as long as you want. Super laid back, but bring cash since there's no credit card machine!

14  Thank Lee G
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Visited this mine with my geologist sister. We had the correct equipment (you must have hard hat, goggles, chisel, sledgehammer, and absolutely critical landscaping gloves, steel toed boots, and credentials that you are either a geologist or have had mine safety training) and were allowed to go down into the pit. We spent about 6 hours and had a great time! There is no charge to enter the mine. You are charged by what you extract. $25/bucket outside of the pit or $35/bucketful from inside the pit. Huge detail that we didn’t know about: You must pay with cash! There is no electricity at this site, so no credit cards are permitted and the owner refuses to do the exchange for US dollars, so bring Canadian. What I mean is this: the owner said our buckets cost $210 (we found a LOT!) and we asked Canadian? How much is that US? And he said $210 CAN or $210 US. I take either one but don’t do the exchange rate. That’s a BIG difference. We didn’t want to have to come back the next day, so we paid it. Other reviewers say how wonderful the owner is. That was not our experience. Communication was definitely lacking. This is a great mine! However to ensure a good experience, bring Canadian dollars and use the bathroom before you arrive or you will have to use the outhouse. And I do mean outhouse.

6  Thank Karen B
Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

Hi Lachlan,
He’s the nicest man that own the mine. This mine is a wonderful place to spend the afternoon looking for amethyst. I could spend days there. The signage was spot on for directions, my friends and I had so much fun. Hope you do too ✌

2  Thank xie420
Reviewed May 6, 2018

searching for what Thunder Bay has to offer...wonderful beautiful Amethyst before you. the staff friendly and helpful.

3  Thank skaszab2016
Reviewed January 21, 2018

Been there a few times especially when I get out of town visitors. Very good amethyst samples to get here, Friendly people.Not far from the City of Thunder Bay, actually a very nice ride to get there and if you are lucky you might get to see black bear and whitetail deer.

3  Thank Elio S