“Look for somewhere else”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed for one night on August 17 my husband, two children and I. It was easy to find. Upon check in which was fast we received a voucher for the continental breakfast and had to lug our luggage up two flights of stairs. The hotel lobby and hallways are not air conditioned just the rooms which made for a hot walk with the luggage. Our room key did not work after a half a dozen tries and we had to go and get it corrected. Even after that the room key worked sporadically which was extremely annoying. The room is basic and very sparse. The air conditioner in the room is very loud. The hotel is in kind of a sketchy location. It is beside a bowling alley and people are always just hanging around the hotel and at a picnic table across the parking lot. I wasn't sure it they were staying there or just loitering. Which made me feel uncomfortable as I had to bring in everything from the car. It would have been nice if there was a security guard. The continental breakfast is very very basic. Toast, package muffins and no-name oatmeal (which doesn't cook in the lukewarm water provided) and coffee and tea. The staff here are fantastic and friendly but I would not stay here again due to the location and atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank PenelopeKtravels

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Not too much to say about this place except that it was clean and a great price. The free breakfast and Wifi made it an even better value. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

It was ok. Didn't stay for the breakfast. Not in the most exciting part of town, but with all due respect to Thunder Bay is there an exciting part of town?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bobalbin
Reviewed June 29, 2011

After travelling 15 hours over night on Greyhound we were greeted by the friendly front desk staff. The motel reception area was clean and modern. The hallways to the rooms were slightly dated but this added a cosy charm to the place. Our room was on the first floor, a good size, very clean throughout including the bathroom. The room included tea/coffee facilities, a big wardrobe, drawers, tv and wifi. Internet connection was good. Breakfast consisted of English muffins, bagels, toast, selection of cereals, teas, coffee and juices. I would highly recommend this motel to other long distance travellers (also only 10 min walk to Greyhound depot)

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Stayed at Days Inn for 2 nights in Feb. 2011 and had to book the third night elsewhere. Booked Comfort Inn but they told us they oversold and bumped us to Econo Lodge. The place (Econo Lodge) is shabby, old, dark and dingy. And there was NO elevator and we had to drag out luggage up and down the stairs ourselves.

The room was small and old and not polished at all, although it is relatively clean. I got itchy quickly and was concerned there might be bugs. The bed was old, screechy and you can feel the springs. The internet was painfully slow and I had to give up on working.

But the best thing is that around 9 p.m., a huge snow plougher showed up and began to scrape the parking lot below our window (actually, all of our windows). The noise was deafening. I was hoping he would finish quickly but this lasted for three hours and he finally finished after midnight. We had an early flight and were hoping to get some sleep early and in the end I did not sleep at all that night.

This place should be torn down. Worst place stayed ever.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TorontoGirl0
Reviewed June 24, 2010

As I said above, the staff are wonderful. Very happy to help in all ways! Every question I had, they gave me suggestions (eg, what to do/see/eat since I was only there 1 night!)
We brought our dog with us as we are currently moving across the country, and they were so friendly with my dog - I appreciate that!
The rooms are basic, but clean and come with what you expect.
The internet is easy to use and fairly quick. Just down the road is a huge shopping district area! A definite plus!
I would give them 3 stars out of 5, because it's so basic (which the cost promises) but because the staff go the extra mile, I'll give it a 4/5!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Arrived late at night. Entrance off the highway could be better lit as I almost buried the nose of my car in a depression coming off the highway and had to crab it over the transition/edge. Staff was friendly enough. Room was basic, but clean (for what I could tell). Walls were thin as paper as I heard the people talking rather loudly in the room next door. (Good thing I fell asleep quickly.) They had complementary coffee, etc. the next morning in the lobby, but there was sparse anything else...went to a McDonald's to actually eat something. Wasn't the worst hotel in over a month of being on the road, but the next time I'm in Thunder Bay, I'm staying someplace else.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo