“Not just great coffee”
Review of Bean Fiend Cafe

Bean Fiend Cafe
Ranked #2 of 16 Coffee & Tea in Thunder Bay
Cuisines: Canadian
Description: The Bean Fiend Cafe is a fun and casual cafe and lunch spot that focuses on simple but premium fare for discerning tastes. All baking is done in-house and there is a wide selection daily. Soups are all gluten free and homemade. Two available daily from Fall to Spring. (one in summer) Grilled Sandwiches on offer for any palate. Limited kids' menu. Coffee supplier: Oso Negro Coffee, Nelson BC Tea Supplier: Silk Road Tea, Victoria BC Bread Supplier: City Bread Rye, Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed February 14, 2012

soup, sandwiches and salads. Oatmeal for breakfast anyone. What about Open Mic on Wed. The Zen Garden is a lovely place to sit, reflect and drink your coffee or tea. The Bean Fiend has a little of everything including wi-fi.

2  Thank wbw_11

Reviewed December 5, 2011

They offer locally baked gluten-free bread and bun alternatives to there creative sandwiches.

1  Thank Em7b5
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I love this coffee place! The decor inside consists of interesting wood carved furniture collected from around the world - some seats are elephants topped with cushions, others are large hands where the fingers act as a back rest and the palm provides the seat, still others are a stack of books lined up at a counter which looks out to the street... It is comfortable and interesting.

There is also a patio out the back like a zen garden with a water fountain. It was very peaceful - just what I'd like my patio to be like.

They serve excellent coffee in large pottery mugs with the usual options such as cappuccino, latte, etc. and use Oso Negro coffee beans which are roasted in Nelson, B.C. If you're in the mood for something a little different they offer drinks called "fizzlers", carbonated beverages made in house. Fizzler shakes are a creamy version - something interesting and different to try.

Snacks are purchased from other vendors and include cookies, muffins and brownies, none of which I tried on this visit. After 11am they also offer soups and sandwiches, which sounded fresh and delicious - something on my list to try next time.

If you're up for some shopping, check out the store next door called Red Earth Imports. They are both owned by Brian Hamilton, who has brought the Bohemian touch to Thunder Bay.

2  Thank beanmitchell
Reviewed October 7, 2011

As we entered the coffee shop I drew in a breath and immediately felt at home. It's rustic interior, and small garden tables with it's round chairs reminded me of mushrooms in a wooded fairy garden. It's deep burgundy walls gave it a bohemian flavour. I loved it and immediately felt 'at home.' "I have just come from the west coast', I told the girls who worked there,' and this reminds me very much of BC where I'm from'. 'It's funny you should say that', one of the girls said,' The owner is in BC right now'. She tapped her heart and continued.' It is a place that is very close to his heart. He owns the Red Earth Store next door as well.' My sister and I vowed to go there next. As we sat in our seats that seemed a cross between a garden bench and a church pew, my sister and I both commented on how much we enjoyed drinking from our beautiful mugs crafted from pottery. In a euphoric trance, we sipped our delicious coffee roasted in Nelson, BC while taking in the rest of the room where I imagined Johnny Depp's beloved character in 'Le Chocolat', would have hung out with his gypsy friends. As we opened the doors of the Red Earth Store, I once again immediately felt 'at home.' The store was filled with Tibetan and East Indian ware that I recognized from the stores I loved to shop in on the Gulf Islands. I was thrilled to find books published in BC and soaps I recognized from Salt Spring Island and Victoria. And then I knew. Yes. I was in the right place. And when I was heart sick, I could visit that part of town where I could be 'home'.

4  Thank ladyofwildrosecottag
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Great coffee...great food. The Bean Fiend's grilled cheese is a work of art. I could eat lunch at the Bean Fiend every day. The atmosphere is really nice as well. Their Zen Patio is a great place to enjoy coffee on a sunny day. I highly recommend the Bean Fiend. Oh, and they have fee WiFi that actually works.

2  Thank Walkersmoon