“Hidden gem”
Review of Strathcona Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thunder Bay
Strathcona Motel
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Regina, Canada
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Strathcona Motel is a hidden gem among the plethora of motels in Thunder Bay. After reading the unanimously positive reviews on tripadvisor, I was both excited to see what the fuss was about yet apprehensively expecting to be disappointed. After staying in the charming mini-apartment, I can't imagine anyone leaving less than pleased. The owners, Ken and Janice, were lovely people who made you feel like a guest, not a customer. There was a separate bedroom with a bed so comfortable that it lulled away my chronic insomnia (no small feat by any means). Even the hide-a-bed was of impressive quality. The best part for me, by far, was how personal the space felt. Pictures and stories of the family were the magical touch that made it feel like home. As a child of hard-working immigrants who also ran a family business, I felt a particular fondness for not only the motel, but the family who created it. If I ever pass through Thunder Bay again, I will certainly stay at the Strathcona Motel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Suzy Y
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Hello and thanks for writing - we are very glad that you found the accommodations comfortable and enjoyed some of the personal touches offered at the motel - certainly a labour of love over a couple of generations! We would be very happy to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Late October, I had to zip across the country for work in Barrie, Ontario and needed a fun little place to stay with my family. We've already been to the brand hotel chains with the waterslides and pools and wanted something to remember. We heard about the Strathcona motel through the great online reviews it received. I must tell anyone who reads the reviews that this place is the best I have ever been in. If and when I have to go back and forth again, I will always call Ken at the motel first before anywhere else. This is a new "must" on my list.
I was running very late during our check in as my wife couldn't get off work earlier. I called Ken to let him know that we couldn't leave Winnipeg till after 5pm. We got to T-Bay around 3 in the morning and Ken, the owner was working hard at the desk in the room making sure we made it alright. When we arrived with a vanload of kids and stuff, he took the time to tell us about the local attractions and a great place for breakfast. The K-cup machine in the room was the icing on the cake. Loved every inch of that place! Even the flowers were awesome.
When I was making the return trip with just my daughter and myself, we made sure to stop by again. Thankfully a room was available and we had a great stay. Even gave a discount to the military folks. God love ya Ken, and thanks for a wonderful experience (x2!).
The Hardy family

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JoeHard
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for this truly wonderful review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay; please come again!
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here on my drive across Canada. Was very tired and just ready to relax, and this place was everything I needed. Being on a tight budget, the place was surprisingly reasonable. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, this place was like a small apartment. Very cozy, very friendly, very clean, it was everything we needed. Loved it, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brando K
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; please come again. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a very nice family owned motel that brings back memories of the 60s. The kitchen is a nice addition which you do not normally expect in a motel. The room was very clean and the owner is friendly and knows the area well as his family built the hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Only one channel on the tv.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ichabod322
Thank you for the kind words and review - it is greatly appreciated. Please come again.
Southern, Ontario
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This neat as a pin motel has all the warmth of years gone by, but the amenities needed today. I would highly recommend this motel. Ken and Janice, the last sentence of your motel's history says that the Strathcona is a small motel with a big heart. I could not agree more.
Regards. Richard and Edna Kelly

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Reviews like yours are very gratifying for a small business owner - thank you for this very kind review. We hope to serve you again in the future.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was on a road trip with my bro from Manitoba to sleeping giant and decided to sleep here after a long day of driving. We were told to be there before 11 pm but forgot about the time zone difference and arrived after midnight. We were welcomed in and had a fantastic sleep! He was very understanding and made sure we were comfortable and well rested. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write this positive review. We hope to see you again soon and anytime before midnight! :o)
London, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

:This place is truly a hidden gem, it is clean well maintained and QUIET. The price is riculously low I paid for seven days what would cost me one night in a major hotel chain. The kitchen had everything I needed, there is a friendly Donut Shop within walking distance plus a pizza place, grocery store drug store etc. The Golf course is accross the road and the beach is around the corner. Nice spot, relaxing stay and the owner made sure I had everything I needed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ejp139
Rusnak1956, Owner at Strathcona Motel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review of the motel and its surrounding area - we think it is a pretty nice and friendly neighbourhood too! Please come again.