“Fairly Priced but Aging”

Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Airlane has been a long established hotel in Thunder Bay with a reputation, a few years back, as one of THE places to eat and stay in Thunder Bay. My, how times have changed. The hotel is showing signs of age and in need of attention and upgrading. I stayed on the Executive Floor and the room was certainly comfortable - nice bed, decent amenities but strangely enough, no glasses - I had to use the coffee mugs to have a glass of water. I had to switch rooms at 2:30 a.m. as the guys in the room beside me decided this was the night to stay up and talk, loudly! The second room didn't have glasses either. "Security" was a young lad whose reserved request for quiet was ignored by the guests next door. I think I'd have enjoyed my stay considerably more if they had dealt with the rowdies more quickly and decisively.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We truly appreciate your time to write a review on your recent stay at the Airlane hotel and thank you for the positive feedback. We are sorry to hear that some amenities from your guest room were missing and that there was a noisy neighbor. We have a new General Manager in place, and is addressing the comments you have raised.

The hotel has undergone some recent updates, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses, bed frames; and new bedding in 2012.We appreciate your feedback and business and hope that you will return to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband & I booked the jacuzzi suite. I had a previous horrible experience at the Airlane over a yr ago in a reg room (cracked bthrm vanity, burned out light bulbs no one came to change after several requests, dirty& stained carpets, bandaid in sheets, cobwebs- didn’t stay thru night cuz it was so gross), but read the management reviews online saying they're under new management, have improved & updated the rms, plus a few people told us they heard the jacuzzi suites were at least good, so thought we’d give it a try. First when we called asking for prices for the silver (just a jacuzzi suite), gold (jacuzzi suite plus champagne, fruit & truffles, & in rm breakfast) & platinum romance pkgs (same as gold package but w/dinner for 2), the person tells us the gold & platinum prices ($346 & $458) & that the silver was sold out (but those are basically just a silver pkg w/ added services!. For just a 1 night stay, we found these prices ridiculous (especially compared to other hotels in Thunder Bay & Duluth), so we went online & was able to book a jacuzzi suite w/ AAA discount for $225! For the state of the rm I am disappointed I even paid $225- but I would of been furious if I paid for the gold or platinum pkg & got that rm! The rm is outdated- old carpets, paint-chipped trim, cheap looking decor (pictures, lamps, counter tops). Rm was filthy- stains in jacuzzi, top shelf of closet had tons of previous guests garbage (left over food pkging, crumpled receipts, papers & grocery bags) the toilet paper looked like it had unraveled off the roll & re-rolled back up, the shampoo/condition/shower gel/lotion were 1/2 used bottles, & there was only 1 robe given. The steam shower is very small & king size bed was brutally hard- I like a firm mattress, but this was like sleeping on plywood & very painful! When the fireplace is on, makes loud constant clicking sound- actually had to turn off so we could hear the tv. There are 2 tvs- the 1 in the “living rm” area cannot have movies ordered & can only be viewed if sitting on couches. The 2nd tv can only be watched when in the bed- none of the tvs can be viewed from the jacuzzi & several basic cable channels were missing. The rms have no sound barrier, since located near the airport- so not only did we have to hear (and feel) planes taking off/landing until very late at night & early morning, but we even heard another guest’s alarm clock go off @5:30am! Obviously this new management & “updates” have still not helped the Airlane improve- the cleaning crew obviously needs to be re-trained & for the prices, the rms should at least be in decent condition. I will never stay there again & not only would I never recommend the Airlane, but I will specifically warn people to avoid it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller0405
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

We truly appreciate your time to write a review on your recent stay at the Airlane hotel and are sorry to hear that you found the price too high and the rooms being out-dated.The hotel has undergone some recent updates, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses, bed frames; and new bedding in 2012. We have a new General Manager in place, and is addressing the comments you have raised. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope that you will return to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A friend and I stayed here when an emergency took us off our planned route and thru Thunder Bay. With no reservation and in search of a motel right on our way, we ended up at the Airlane because all other close-by placed were full. Now we know why.

On the plus side, food at the restaurant was good....although strangely we were the only people eating there. If you're en route to the US, it's a good location. And the front desk ladies were friendly and helpful.

On the minus side, the walk-in rate was ridiculously high for the quality of the place...and breakfast isn't even included. The room was not quite clean and a bit shabby. Also, the door locks were pretty if-y. Although I had asked for an upstairs room, we got a first floor room right on the parking lot, and we didn't feel especially safe. The rooms open onto the parking area at one end and into a interior corridor on the other.end. But if you decide to use the interior corridor to get to the restaurant, leave bread crumbs or you may not find your way back.

Given a choice, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We truly appreciate your time to write a review on your recent stay at the Airlane hotel and are sorry to hear that you found the price too high.The hotel has undergone some recent updates, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses, bed frames; and new bedding in 2012. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your meal, as we have just rolled out a new menu and new specials. We have a new General Manager in place, and is addressing the comments you have raised. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope that you will return to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went to Thunder Bay because our sister passed away that day. Tried to get into Days Inn or Valhalla, but they were full. Got rooms at the Airlane. There was hair on the floor of the bathroom,mold between the tile and tub, burn marks on the floor, wet spot on the ceiling, the sink was cracked, had to ask for toilet paper, wallpaper coming off wall at ceiling, found a blown up balloon behind the ironing board, my husband had to fix a chair so he sit in it. All and all, one of the worst places we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank linda r
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We truly appreciate your time to write a review on your recent stay at the Airlane hotel and are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. We have a new General Manager in place, and is addressing the comments you have raised. The hotel has undergone some renovations, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses, bed frames; and new bedding in 2012, and we are currently working on the bathrooms to address the mildew around the bathtubs. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope that you will return to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had heard that all these wonderful renovations had been done ...so relented and booked a room ...much to my dismay. I had asked for a room that was fairly accessible as my travel companion was on crutches .... only to be sent through this maze of corridors to access the room ..the room had what seems to be a part of the decor ...black mold in the bathroom ... the room smelled musty ... the sheets and blankets appeared dingy and the phone did not work ...if we hadn't just driven through a snow storm and I didn't have to catch a 630 plane I would have moved to another hotel....return ....no ... especially at those prices ... I did not get even an offer of a "perk" for the inconveniences. there was also a great deal of partying late into the night.

Room Tip: don't know if it is worth asking for anything as I didn't get what I had requested
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Airlane hotel and so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. Our team will accomodate room requests where possible and initiate a room move if a guest feels the room provided doesn't meet with their expectation. We thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you experienced with your stay, and please be assured that we are committed to taking the necessary steps to correct these issues.The hotel has undergone some renovations, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses, bed frames; and new bedding in 2012, and we are currently working on the bathrooms to address the mildew around the bathtubs. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope that you will return to give us another try in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our first time in Thunder Bay and we really had no clue where everything was in relationship to downtown, so we chose Airlane because I got a nice non-refundable rate for 4 nights. Upon arrival and getting our room we noticed there was a loud and annoying (washing machine like) sound coming from upstairs (the roof). We mentioned it to the front desk and the lady kindly upgraded us to a room on the first floor with a bigger bed.

The hotel is located very close to the airport. So much so, in fact, that you can catch planes landing right over your roof. It's pretty neat if you're not annoyed by the noice.

The beds were nice and comfy, everything worked great. WiFi seems to be slow here and there, and we got kicked out quite a few times, but nothing major.

As we went out to explore the town on our very first night, we discovered that pretty much everything is located in downtown which is about 10 minutes away. If you want to do a pub crawl or something like that, make sure you grab a cab back or find an alternative way of getting back safely. You can't just walk.

We also checked out their restaurant and were very surprised to find an exceptional breakfast selection. Everything we ordered came out perfect and tasted great. Prices are very reasonable.

Melanie from the front desk was super-nice and helpful. We didn't know what was there to do in Thunder Bay during Christmas Holiday, so she helped us as best she could.

All in all, this was a very pleasant stay at a very reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Rooms do, in fact, look different. We stayed at 104 and it was very conveniently located next to the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Airlane Hotel over the holidays. We truly appreciate your business and the feedback provided will assist us in monitoring our performance. Our staff are dedicated to guest service and willing to assist and offer suggestions that can enhance your stay. I will share your comments with our team. We wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to seeing you at the Airlane again soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We booked this hotel because of the convenience of travelling to the airport. Well on our first day of arrival ( before we flew out) service and check in we're great. The young lady was extremely helpful and courteous . We proceeded to our room which was rm.113 I believe. A charming room and very much worth the rate we were quoted. We left our vehicle there to be picked up after our return from holidays. So here we are on the 15th returned check in was quick, and were directed to rm. 106........don't even go there. The room was horrible. Both locks on the door were damaged. So damaged in fact that I went to the front desk to inform the young lady that I want it on record that I did not damage these locks. She said she would record it, but I found out thenext day apparently there was no record found. I should have asked to be moved,but our flight was delayed for over an hour we were tired, well you get the idea. I went back to the room and took pictures of the locks, so i would have proof in case there were any questions. Well once I got back into the room, I discovered holes in the wall where screws once were but never fixed, dried food in the "blue box", mascara on the hand towel (1), dirt on the bathroom floor. Not at all like the room we were in the previous week, and definitely not worth the rate I paid.
Now when I mentioned to the gal the next morning the lady told me and I quote " the rooms are all the same". I dare anyone to go down to each of those rooms and say they are both the same. I told the lady perhaps she should take a walk and view both rooms. Now I will give her credit, she did give me 25% off the room was kind of her. But I can only suggest you ask for room on the front side as those in the back are horrible. I will add here that the bed was small but comfortable but that is where the quality ended in that room. When I told her about the locks she did send maintenance down IMMEDIATELY. Why this wasn't done sooner, well I don't know. I will stay here again, only because of the convenience to the airport, BUT I will be sure to ask for a better room then what I had on my return. Advise, be sure to ASK to SEE the room first.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see the room. Just because they tell you ALL the rooms are same , look at the r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sally_travel57
General Manager A, General Manager at Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our property. It is always appreciated to hear feed back from our guests and allow us the opportunity to see our hotel in our customers eyes. We thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you experienced with your stay, and please be assured that we are committed to taking the necessary steps to correct these issues.
I am pleased to share with you that our property is currently undergoing renovations, including new carpets in guest rooms and corridors; new mattresses and bed frames; new bedding and new curtains. As we head into a new year we are committed to continuing with our improvements to ensure that all our rooms meet the expectation of our guests.
We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you return again soon.