Super 8 Thunder Bay
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
Landmark Hotel(Thunder Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewsa ground floor roomstayed nightscomfortable bedswould stay againfront desk staffwinnipeghospital
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We were just passing through Thunder Bay looking for a place to stay for the night. The Super 8 worked well for us. The rooms are average, but the hotel was clean. The continental breakfast was appreciated but it was also average. The location worked well for us since we just wanted something on our way through the city. There were enough choices for places to eat that we found something within a five minute drive. If all you need is a place to rest for the evening that is cheap I'd go for the Super 8.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jasmin P
Reviewed January 31, 2012

When we first entered our room we were greeted with an unpleasant odor, that you would get used to while in the room, but would greet you again upon re-enter. The carpets, linens, furnishings are all very old and should be updated. The lightning in the bathroom is not adequate. The staff were very friendly and efficient, but the overall condition of this hotel needs to be updated.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have outdoor access.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnnGr
Reviewed December 1, 2011

over the last five or six years we have been staying at the super 8 motel in thunderbay we started staying there when my husband and i were battling cancer. we were always treated with the utmost respect and the staff were awsome to us. over the years they have been making improvements and changing things . the rooms have always been very clean and usually if there were any way of making things more comfortable they would do it . sometimes we had to go on short notice to the hospital and they would always try to fit us in . now it almost feels like my second home. my husband passed away three years ago but i still have health problems and i always stay there.the staff is most caring and it makes things easier to deal with when you have a welcoming place to stay. i just stayed there last night and they have put in new and very comfortable beds. i it is a relaxing place to stay and it is very close to almost everything.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The staff at the Thunder Bay Super 8 are very nice and helpful, sadly the hotel is old, old, old. The carpet in our room was newer, but the rest of the room is in need of updating. I think they are in the process, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done. The bathrooms need to be totally gutted. I was not impressed with the area around the hotel either. I am sorry to say I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Be careful when bidding off Priceline's name your own price. When they give you only the choice of a one star hotel, this is it! Won with a bid of $80 USD per night in June 2011.

Travelling from Calgary to Toronto and needed a pitstop in Thunder Bay.

Checked the bed for bed bugs and found none. Washroom was clean. Room was one-star quality so I can't complain. Fridge in the room was a bonus which meant I could refrigerate my soda cans! Wireless Internet was free but a tad slow. Forget about streaming YouTube on their network.

I did get a good night's rest. Ended up driving from Thunder Bay to Sudbury without any significant fatigue issues so I must have slept well.

There is surveillance in the parking but I still felt inclined to bring all my valuables into the room.

Short walk from a Boston Pizza. Lucky for us, it was a Tuesday and they had their Pasta Tuesday promotion.

Overall, I got what I paid for. It was better than I expected. No vacancy on the night I was staying so other people don't mind the quality given that it is probably the cheapest place to stay in town.

I'd recommend this to people on a budget and who are just passing through. Lower your expectations. This was still miles better than the supposed 4-star resort I stayed at in Cuba.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple