“Choose a different hotel!”

Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Deer Lake, Canada
“Choose a different hotel!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find but that is all the good I can say about this hotel. The front desk staff was not very nice or friendly. The room had a funny smell like it used to be a smoking room. The room had a sign that said 110% guaranteed clean but there was a piece of dried up food under the table and chip crumbs in the drawer. Breakfast was included but was only fair at best I think the chef needs to go to a restaurant and sample someone else's scrambled eggs mine were a gloppy mess! If you have kids and are only coming to this hotel for the water slide it will be great for you otherwise stay away overpriced and dirty.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Parsons76
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Your comments have been shared with our magement team and we will work hard to correct these concerns for future guests.
I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again when back in Thunder Bay.
R.N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stopped at Thunder Bay after a long day of sight seeing. We drove around looking at different hotels and decided to stop at the Victoria Inn. We had wanted to stay near the water but there weren't a lot of hotels there and things looked dicey. The Victoria Inn was very nice. It was busy and we got one of the last rooms. We stayed on the third floor. The clerk told us the room had just been redone. There were two recliners- nice and an awesome shower with sliding glass doors. I also really liked the double sinks. The bed was comfortable. The entire room was exceptionally clean. If we hadn't met people in the hallways it would have seemed like we were the only ones in the hotel- that's how quiet it was. Not a great view and the restaurant was only okay but other than that great place to stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that we met your expectations. we strive to deliver a quality product and it is nioce to se that it all came together during your stay. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again when back in Thunder Bay.
Goderich, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We booked two nights here but were unable to get to the hotel from Sault Ste. Marie because the TransCanada highway was closed. We had booked the 2 nights through Expedia (don't do this...call the front desk and ask if they will match Expedia rate and book through the hotel!). The hotel marked us as a no-show so we lost the first night's fee when we couldn't arrive until the second day. The manager was wonderful though and even though we had booked through Expedia he gave us a full refund due to the circumstances! The room was large, clean and comfortable. The pool and waterslide were a welcome place to play for my kids who had been stuck in a car for 2 days. We loved our experience here! Would definitely stay here again if we ever travel back to Thunder Bay.

The lady at the front desk was kind enough to call the Victoria Inn in Winnipeg for the night after we stayed here to make sure we were able to get the Expedia rate!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Due to the conditions surrounding your travel i am glad we were able to take away some of the stress. I am glad that you have enjoyed us and I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again when back in Thunder Bay.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just checked in for one nite; hotel is located nicely to several eateries and restaurants and just a few miles away from Fort Williams and Port Arthur. Nice comfortable bed and internet was free. Overall, highly recommended!!

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ok, well, this didn't work out as well as we hoped. We decided to stay here on Aug 23 as in the past, the kids really liked coming here to use the water park. I liked it because there is a washer and dryer I could make use of.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I originally thought I had booked a poolside room but it turns out it was a poolview on the second floor. Apparently the poolside rooms aren't available by booking through Expedia, you need to book those rooms from the hotel directly.

We got to the room and the first thing I noticed was there were no large towels in the bathroom. I called the front desk and they delivered us 4 of them almost right away which was great. The other problem that we didn't notice until later on in the evening was there was also no shower curtain which took even longer to arrive, at least 30 minutes. I had called at 11:15pm so see what the delay was as my daughter really wanted to go to bed. Finally the curtain arrived. I guess they take down the curtains for cleaning but forgot to replace everything.

They apologized, and said their walkie talkies had all died at the same time but honestly, at this point, it would have been nice of them to offer some sort of discount or coupon for free breakfast for our inconvenience. I can forgive them for the towel inconvenience but the curtain kerfuffle so late in the evening was just annoying.

With so many other choices in the area I doubt we'll stay here again since the kids are really past water park age. We did like the location though because we were dropping off our daughter at the airport the next day which was nice and close.

Room Tip: Don't book through the online hotel websites if you want to be in a room that opens up to the po...
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Your comments have been shared with our housekeeping and front desk managers.
I am glad that you have enjoyed us in the past and I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again when back in Thunder Bay.
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Room was old looking and dated. Black mould around the tub, enough that we did not use it. Garbage in the hallways, major stains on the hallway carpets. Breakfast was just ok. Staff in the restaurant were very nice.

After speaking with management I was not charged for the room.

Observed man (staff) pouring something into the pool with kids right beside him in the water and standing over his shoulder watching him. When I questioned the manager as to why this was done with children right there instead of night cleaning when the pool was closed, he stated it was just baking soda. Has anyone heard of baking soda being added to hotel pools?

Words of Wisdom... Always check your room before you decide to stay.

Room Tip: Always ask to check the room before you stay.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am sorry that we did not meet an acceptable level of service standard. We are working hard to get back on track and feel we are making great progress. The item placed in the pool was indeed baking soda and is used to regulate the PH in the pool. This is very safe and common practice. The pool was not closed because the levels were well within acceptable levels and this was merely for extended control. I do invite any who would like to see a room before check-in to ask at the desk. We are proud of our offerings and stand by our product. We will happily show our guests their rooms in advance.

R.N.