“Not sure if the price is worth the amenities.”

Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

It is a typical hotel if you ignore the pool area; so that is why I think this was too expensive.
Our front desk clerk needs to be more friendly and smile at her clients. She is an ambassador for the city.

• Stayed: August 2013
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am sorry that we did not meet an acceptable level of service standard. We are working hard to get back on track and feel we are making great progress
Much like airlines our rates fluctuate with the occupancy level of the hotel. Your stay was during the summer leisure travel which in Thunder Bay fills our hotels quickly and rates are affected. We recommend reserving early to avoid the rate increases and allow you the opportunity to book the type of room that best suits your travel.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is an average hotel, I was surprised to be in a room that looked into the pool area - incredibly noisy ! All the noise ended around 23h00 ish - otherwise, it would have been a disaster - The room had a fridge - and the beds were average. For one night, it suited us well. Good location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am pleased that our accommodations met your expectations and that the staff was helpful. That is the service standard that we pride ourselves in at the Victoria Inn.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Victoria during a road trip across Canada in early July 2013. We booked it because of the pool facilities and we were traveling with young kids. The rate was comparable to other hotels in Thunder Bay so we thought it was a better value. On check-in we discovered our "rate" only covered 1 voucher for breakfast and the other 4 of us would have to pay. Not a huge inconvenience but the website said "complimentary breakfast," our assumption was it would be for everyone in the room. We were also a little disappointed with the room itself. It was very clean and a good size but had the smell of old air conditioning you sometimes find in older motels. The pool is a good size and they have a smaller wading pool for young kids but the water was freezing! Trying our best to ignore the temperatures, it was hard to ignore how the 5 life guards on duty did little more than stand in a circle and talk/flirt/giggle with each other. A note to families who chose this hotel for the pool, my 4 year old couldn't go down the waterside because he wasn't allowed to go with me. This really isn't a complaint at all, I understand, just an FYI for other parents with young kids. It was hard to explain to him that his older brother could go but not him when we've been in other water parks who allow younger kids to go with their parents. On our return trip we chose a different hotel, paid the same rate, and got breakfast for everyone; no pool but we didn't really mind and were much warmer. :)

Room Tip: The hotel is a large square with rooms around the pool area. They charge extra for a pool view room...
1  Thank crwalters

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I have addressed your concern with the manger over the guards and we will monitor the situation. Our breakfast program provides 2 complimentary certificates for items from our restaurant menu. this should have been comunicated correctly at check in and has aslo been addressed with the staff in that area.Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Very disappointing. we had booked a room for five - and had to ask for the cot (which was very uncomfortable to sleep on). The pool was salty, so that was odd, and the slide has very limited times that it is open. The room had a tiny fridge and no microwave. There is no complimentary breakfast. There is very little noise insulation in the rooms so between the planes and the other guests it was very noisy, and the thermostat didn't work - there was no air conditioning and the planes made it too loud to leave the window open. On the plus site, it was clean and accessible to lots of different restaurants, and easy to get to.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am pleased to say that we have started the replacement of our cots to a much more comfortable stand up bed. We do have fridges in all the rooms and microwaves are available by calling the front desk. Our slide hours are listed at the front desk and limited to the hours we have Lifeguards on site however the pool is open from 7:00 A.M to 11:00 P.M most days. We do have a complimentary breakfast for those booking at a qualifying rate however the program is not available with any of our previously discounted room rates.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Hotel was great for the dog and my children. Internet in the first room was spotty - had to open door to use them successfully - had 6 devices.

2nd room off the pool was very nice and the internet was stupendous. Restaurant downstairs was very good. Pool and slide were very good. Dog walk in the back was great for a leash on walk.

Staff were excellent and very helpful. They emailed me maps of sights to see, restaurants to visit.

I would recommend this Inn for family and pets. The first room was on the far, far left of the entrance facing 'Joey's'.

Room Tip: Try around the pool - noise until 10 pm but it is muffled. - has to do with the vents. Avoid the far...

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We arrived and went to our room and attempted to adjust the thermostat and it fell of the wall hanging by the wires. A quick call to the front desk assured us that someone would come by and take care of the issue. No one showed up and I had to turn off the air conditioner as it was set too cold. It was a miserable night to sleep. Upon check out all we were offered was 25.00 refund. On a 140 dollar room that was an insult to me................and we left never to return to this Victoria Inn.

1  Thank Michael O

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am sorry that we did not meet an acceptable level of service standard. We are working had to get back on track and feel we are making great progress. Your concern has now been discussed with our front line staff as a reminder of the importance of listening to our guests and addressing concerns in a professional manner.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

A room with a view also vents into your room so if you are planning on sleeping before 11pm do not get a pool view room. It's loud and noisy and impossible to sleep. Also ask if you have an adjoining room because you can hear your "neighbours" every sound, especially barking dogs and a crying baby. Also the "slide" is only child friendly if your child can ride it by themselves, so my three year old and I watched the 8 year old go down the slide b/c he couldn't ride by himself. After driving for 8 hours I thought the slide would be a treat but I was sadly mistaken. I wouldn't stay there again. After a horrible night sleep the front desk asked how everything was, I said the worst night ever and she didn't say anything, just took my key. What great customer service. Never again. I would also never use Hotels.com. Expedia much more reliable and credible.

Room Tip: definitely not pool view or adjoining

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I am sorry that we did not meet an acceptable level of service standard. We are working had to get back on track and feel we are making great progress. The Vents to the pool are a concern however needed for air circulation in the guestrooms. We continue to work towards a solution for the noise concern caused by these vents. The slide is governed by the amusement ride standards for Ontario and unfortunately does not permit two riders at a time for rider safety.