“Absolutely NOT worth the price, TERRIBLE place to stay, MOUSE in the resturant.”

Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

#1 while we were eating in the resturant, that just had average food the was not worth the price. We had to ask to be moved because there was a MOUSE under our tables. YIKES!!
#2 the hotel is defiantly not worth the $175 for the night that I paid, and then I was informed that I do not get to receive the continental breakfast because this was the CAA discounted rate, the rooms are very small and cramped,the whirlpool jets were out of order and the water had a green ting to it. Room was very loud since we were pool side, tons of noise coming from hallways and rooms next door.

Overall not a very good experience DEFINATELY will NEVER STAY here again, I did not even want to finish the stay that I did have.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Neon_zebra
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for the time you took to review the Victoria Inn. It sounds Chicago Joes features a casual family style menu, nothing to fancy but we do pride ourselves in the menu selections from pizza to Certified Angus Beef. We have generous portions and complementary bruschetta to start. The mouse however is not included. Your February date suggests we may have had a mouse enter from the cold. I assure you that we work with a credited pest control company and that this type of matter would be dealt with swiftly. Our rates do fluctuate with occupancy levels however our standard rate with breakfast included is $131.99. it does sound like there were a few concerns during your stay so please feel free to contact me if you do plan to return. My e-mail is listed on our web page.
R.N.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Sudbury, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Recently stayed at the Victoria Inn with colleagues for a training event. The hotel's event planning staff were very accommodating and helpful. The only drawback was the lack of creativity in the lunch they offered for our attendees. Perhaps if I had been able to make the selection myself I could have made more palatable choices. All in all though, we were very satisfied with our stay.

Room tip:
Ask for an "outer room" or you may end up with a room facing the pool which is very loud. The vents lead directly to the pool area and since the vents are permanently open, you also smell the chlorine and have to deal with humidity.

• Stayed January 2013
OntarioRay74, Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for the time you took to review the Victoria Inn. I am pleased that the Sales Team were to your expectations and that your stay was pleasant. I do apologise for the lack of creativity in your lunch, when planning a convention there are many options listed in our catering guide however some do tend to stick with the basics when serving a large group. Hopefully you were able to try some of the favorites in our restaurant after your meetings or enjoy the great sushi just across the street at Wasabi. With regards to the pool vents we are continuing to work towards a solution to the concerns you mentioned. At this time the vents are needed to circulate air throughout the hotel and guestrooms. I am confident we will have a solution soon. I look forward to your next stay with us.
quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were in Thunder Bay for a wedding that was held at the Victoria Inn, so we decided to take advantage of the special group rate and stay at the hotel.

Upon arrival, we were a little apprehensive of the outdated look. The signs and the lobby could use some refurbishing. However, the staff at the front desk were very welcoming and we even received a phone call to our room to make sure everything was to our liking. The ONE elevator going up to the rooms was very small and could barely fit two people with two large suitcases.

The room was not a 5-star by any means, but it was comfortable and clean. The decor seems (again) outdated, but there was a flat screen TV and DVD player. The beds were cozy enough, despite some of the pillows being a bit lumpy. The usual amenities were provided--hair dryer, iron, coffee maker, mini-fridge... so there really was not much to complain about. The only thing was that the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything going on in the next room and in the hallway. We had particularly noisy neighbors one night, so we did not appreciate that.

The pool was okay, but constantly full of children. This makes sense, considering the water slide. We tended to stick to the hot tub, but could not really relax because of the noise and excitement coming from the kids in the pool. Contrary to what some others have said, we liked that it was open until 11pm (granted we did not have a room by the pool). We could go for a late-night hot tub session and there would be fewer kids around.

The gym was disappointing. If you are a person who likes to workout, don't expect to find much. There were a few treadmills and that's about it. Furthermore, the gym was often locked.

Other than that, the hotel did a fabulous job with the wedding and making sure everything ran smoothly (from what I could tell). I don't think I would pay full price to stay here again, but it was definitely adequate considering the special rate we paid.

Room Tip: Not near the pool! Too much noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tiinskies
OntarioRay74, Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Victoria Inn Thunder Bay. I am glad that your first experience was a positive one. We pride ourselves in the level of service we strive to provide all our guests. I do apologise that some of the amenities were less than expected however we do review with guest comments and feedback and make adjustments as needed. With the waterslide we do tend to attract families on the weekends considerations are being made for an adult hour so that there is less traffic in the pool at later times. I am also very pleased that the wedding was enjoyed and please do not hesitate to visit our Facebook page for special offers on rates and promotions.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed over for new years in the jacuzzi suite. The room was nice and clean although the tub and curtains really need to be replaced. There is an air vent to the pool so it is extremely noisy. Pool opens at 10am and is filled with screaming children, and doesn't close till 11pm. Which is a bit late if your planning on going to bed early.They really should do something to limit the noise in the rooms that overlook the pool. Bed was comfy, but the pillows were not the best. Very lumpy and clumpy. The bathroom was very small, and the wallpaper in it looked to be about 1000 years old. But it was clean. The staff are rude and less then helpful. We received a very ignorant phone call from the front desk which was entirely inappropriate. Could have been avoided if the staff member had simply communicated with the other front desk employees. The restaurant food is great! We ordered room service for breakfast and lunch and both came quickly, were hot and delicious! The lobby and restaurant could really use some renovations though. The lobby is actually very ugly and the check in counter is messy and unorganized. Overall it is an ok place to stay although the valhalla is a MUCH better choice.

Room Tip: rooms along outside of building are much quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcwlpc
Thank you for taking the time to review the Victoria Inn Thunder Bay. It has been some time since your stay and I am happy to report that we have made some upgrades. All of our guestroom carpets have now been replaced. The suites have all received new wall paper, new paint, new artwork and fresh bedding. In addition we are now working to improve the bathrooms in our guestrooms which completely transform the space. I am glad your experiences were positive in the restaurant, Chicago Joes is a very popular restaurant and we do receive many compliments. Some changes to come throughout the property and corridor carpet replacement; the restaurant is due to receive an overhaul this summer and the front desk area will be redone next spring. Please consider us on your future travel to Thunder Bay; I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great place to stay but the rooms on the pool side are noisy at times. Great for family getaways! It has it all, good service, great food and location. They supply an airport shuttle service, which is great because Thunder Bay Taxis are the most expensive in all of Canada.

Room Tip: If you want quiet don't get a pool side room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hungrybears
Thank you for taking the time to review the Victoria Inn Thunder Bay. I appreciate your kind comments and look forward to hosting you again when back in Thunder Bay.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was in Thunder Bay for business and couldn't get into the Valhalla where my meeting was being held so the Victoria Inn was my second choice. I was not disappointed. It's proximity to other services was great. There was a Metro on one side, a TD Canada Trust on the other and a Shopper's across the street along with a ton of restaurants. I got in late and opted for snacks from Metro so didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant in the hotel.

The hotel itself was clean and contempary. The lobby was not fancy but attractive, done up with black marble touches and black leather furniture. Staff was friendly. My room was clean and over looking the pool. I understand on the weekends it can get quite nosy but this was during the week and it was fine. There were the standard amenities (shampoo, conditioner, makeup remover etc) in the room, with a coffee maker and small fridge. The best part of the room was the bed, OMG it was super comfortable, it was hard to get out in the morning.

All in all I was quite satisfied with this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

My agency held a three day conference at this hotel. I stayed overnight and found the accommodations to be excellent. What was most striking to me though was the service. On day one the staff showed up in the banquet hall to review the days orders and to see if he could be any help setting up. He was there within 5 minutes when we called for assistance and our event went off without a hitch. When I checked into the hotel that evening the staff were pleasant and helpful and throughout the three days the staff were available when we needed them. We will definitely be back there next year!

PS. Check out the great pool with the giant slide.

• Stayed October 2012