“First Visit to Ontario”

Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I read the reviews for so many hotels in Thunder Bay and was so torn as to where we were to stay. When I registered for our room I put in a note to put us far from the pool. I asked for a King and got two queens, but the room was nice and clean and it was facing the back of the hotel. That was great as the hotel is on a busy main street. We were able to keep the window open through the night and heard nothing from outside. There is only one elevator and the room was quite a distance from the elevator. We were impressed with the waitstaff at Chicago Joe's, the hotels restaurant, but not the evening menu. The breakfast is included with the price of the room and was anything on the regular menu. Breakfast was great both mornings with very attentive waitperson. There are many restaurants within walking distance. It isn't close to tourist destinations and my husband got hoplessly lost in town several times. that said it is a clear shot to Ft William and the Kakabeca Falls. We went to the amethyset mines and got lost getting there and back.

Room Tip: There is a huge pool, waterslide etc. The inside rooms all face into this area, keep this in mind wh...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
OntarioRay74, General Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2011

Thank you very much for taking time to review our property. I apologize that you were not able to receive the room type that you originally selected however pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the Double Queen Room. We do have 26 King Rooms and are considering adding more as these are very well received and very much in demand. I am glad that the service staff in Chicago Joes added to your experience at the Victoria Inn. The menu has been revamped and will be in place in the coming weeks. We are very pleased with how it has turned out and are confident it will fill the voids from the last menu. I hope you are planning to return to Ontario and the Lake Superior Area. It is a beautiful area and hosts many great adventures. Please stop by the front desk as we have a few city and surrounding area maps and the staff love to offer their suggestions and favorite places to visit in the area.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed here for the second time, much better stay! Rooms have been somewhat updated and now have 42" LCD TV's. Very Clean! Service at front desk was good, and service in Chicago Joe's was outstanding.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for the kind review. At the Victoria Inn we try hard to ensure all guests are treated well and the staff truly takes pride in the personal service that is given. We are consistently working on the upgrades to our property and are please with the offerings we have for our guests. The rooms have seen bedding, linen, television, and bathroom renovations and we are continuing with carpets and wallpaper. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

First off, my wife and I have been to this hotel a few times in the past and never had any issues. The service and rooms were great, until recently.

When we entered our room we were given a pool side room. We quickly realized the vent going out to the pool. It was basically a window you couldn't close. My wife is pregnant and wanted to rest after our long drive, however the noise from the pool was disturbing her. My wife called the front desk to complain and ask for another room, she was told the vents were for "fire safety" and that it wasn't possible to move us.

We tried to make the best of it. The pool was packed with kids so the noise was pretty loud. If the vent wasn't there it wouldn't have been an issue... all the pool side rooms have these vents. I've stayed in many pool side rooms and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with this issue. Finally we called front desk again and asked to speak to the manager. I explained our problem and made sure to mention my wife was pregnant and within minutes a staff member was knocking on our door with a new room key. Apparently there was a room available.

The room in question had it's own pool, however it was more of a wading pool. When we opened the door to our new room I noticed how humid the room was. I quickly checked out the air conditioner where I quickly soaked my socks in the puddle of water that was around it. The room was quiet however and after a bit of febreeze the room was comfortable for the mother to be.

The room was paid for by my wife's work, if it was my own money I really would have made a fuss upon check out. Instead, when I return to Thunder Bay later this month I'll be staying at another hotel and will never return to the Victoria Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Victoria Inn. I am glad that you have enjoyed our services in the past and that you received good service. I apologize that on this recent stay we failed to meet your expectations. The vents you mentioned in the rooms are in fact for air circulation. Inside the vent is a fire damper that in the case of a fire would shut automatically to prevent the transfer of fire from one area to another. This is why we cannot fill the vents and although It is not the ideal system we are working on finding a solution for the noise issue. The pool area can be noisy at times as it is a very popular area for families and children to enjoy. We do enforce an 11:00 p.m. quiet time and are also considering a 10:00 adults only swim hour. I am glad the manager on duty was able to find you another room and hope that you were able to get adequate rest at that point. I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again when you return to Thunder Bay, Give us another try and see if we can’t meet the expectations that we have set on your previous stays with us in Thunder Bay.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a large family-friendly hotel, with a pool and two restaurants. Our first room was clean, but had a door that connected to the adjoining room, it was pool side, and there was a vent that lead out to the pool area. We could hear all the children playing, and we could clearly hear the family in the room next to ours. When we called the front desk at 11:30pm, they instantly offered to give us another room with no neighbours on a different floor. They brought the new key to us and the new room was clean and very quiet. One plus is that a good breakfast from the restaurant is included.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Victoria Inn. I am glad that the staff was able to resolve your concern quickly and that you continued to enjoy your stay with us. The breakfast program is a first in Thunder Bay. We provide our qualifying guests with any item off of our full restaurant menu including coffee and juice. This has been a very well received feature and increases the value of your stay at the Victoria Inn. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

This hotel has 3 floors, however only 1 elevator. Otherwise the room is good-sized and clean with 40" flatscreen, small fridge, coffee maker, free internet, comfy beds with lots of towels and toiletries. Hotel was quiet, there is a pool with slides and a restaurant on site, plus a 24-hour Metro Supermarket nearby which is convenient as the hotel is located far from the City centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Victoria Inn. Your comments do cover some of the great features of the hotel. We are away from the city center however in Thunder Bay this is only a 5 minute drive. As mentioned there is a 24 hour grocery store, and national drug store adjacent to the hotel. We are close to the airport and do offer a complimentary airport shuttle for those guests flying in. Thanks you for staying at the Victoria Inn and I hope you will again choose us next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night.The hotel is full of children and noisy.The so called
bar is in the pool area and while the food was okay it is overpriced.it was like eating
in a caferteria.Okay to stay there but there are better places to stay in Thunder Bay

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I took a trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario just to get away on a mini-vacation. It's not cheap to stay in Canada and this hotel was $130.00 per night, but this included breakfast for two in their restaurant and, best of all, a pool and water slide! This hotel is easy to find (on Arthur St.) and has a nice, large parking lot. The staff at the registration desk was very friendly and helpful. The place is huge and we had a bit of a walk to our room. We chose not to be poolside. We had a king sized bed which was extremely comfortable (very firm). There was also a sofa in the room, which my husband used. It faced the TV. I would rather have had the TV facing the bed, so I adjusted it a little bit. There was a nice little refrigerator in the room also. The bathroom was very small, but the shower was great and there was a separate area outside the bathroom with a mirror and counter space. The room was actually overly air conditioned and I had a bit of trouble getting it to warm up just a bit. There was water in the carpet by the air conditioner. I left a note for the staff the next morning. Not sure if there was actually a problem with the air conditioner or not. We got there late in the afternoon and there were still room service trays sitting outside of some rooms, which was kind of ugly looking. But the pool, hot tub and slide were FANTASTIC!! We had a great time. The pool was very warm and comfortable. No shock at all! The hot tub was broiling! The water slide was a blast and very well supervised by two life guards. Kids and adults alike were having a lot of fun. The food in the restaurant was generous and fairly good. Our second morning the electricity failed in parts of the hotel! We already had our breakfast, but some folks hadn't. Not sure what happened and we left shortly thereafter. All in all, we had a wonderful time. I'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple