My wife and I recently stayed in Thunder Bay to attend the wedding of a family friend's son. Coming from Boston, we knew little about this part of Canada, located at the western end of Lake Superior. The name Thunder Bay was chosen, by ballot, as part of the amalgamation of two cities - Port Arthur and Fort Williams, Ontario. These cities have a rich history in fur trading, mining, grain trade and transport. More recently, Thunder Bay has been reinventing itself with a focus on University education (Lakehead University), medical training and technology and other areas of higher technology.
The city of 109,000 is spread over a huge area, but has no really high end hotel. The Valhalla Inn, located close to the airport is well run, maintained and sufficiently large to easily handle large family events, and smaller conferences and business meetings. Staff were very helpful and friendly and offered many suggestions for things to do in the area. The downtown area is struggling a bit, but the lake, areas of the waterfront, waterfalls, beautiful canyons and amethyst mines are worth visiting.
My only complaints about the Inn (resulting in a four rather than five rating are: (1)rather barren grounds resulting from being so close to the airport and (2a rather strong odor of chlorine on the first floor coming from the pool. In all other respects, it is the place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are Northern Ontario’s full service hotel and convention center of choice that shares true Northern hospitality through its Scandanavian-inspired architecture, modern-rustic charm, and true northern hospitality. Set against the timeless backdrop of Thunder Bay, the Valhalla Inn has set the standard for business travelers and groups alike. Friendly and helpful associates take pride in the hotel and their community. Full service amenities offer a range of choice for dining, relaxing, and for hosting events. Located minutes from the airport and easy access to downtown as well as Thunder Bay attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Valhalla Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valhalla Hotel Thunder Bay
- Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay, Ontario