“Nice hotel”

Valhalla Inn
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here many times with work. It's located less than 5 mins to the airport.
The food onsite is nice.
The rooms are very standard. The beds are comfortable. I've had 2 occasions where I've found stains on my sheets (brown and black ones). That was a bit alarming. Ive also found several hairs in my bed.
Overall the hotel is nice. Just need to speak with the staff about putting stained sheets on beds and cleaning more thoroughly.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Canadawj
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi Canadawj,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am glad you enjoyed our hotel. I appologise for the sheets. We have brought this to the attention of our housekeepers, and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Valhalla for business. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times in the past, but not recently, so I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my door to see the room had been completely renovated since my last visit. Great job!
Spacious tastefully decorated room with a functional work station with very good lighting. The king size bed was comfortable, temperature control was not an issue, the room had a good size tv on a swivel, and while there was a large conference at the hotel (I wasn't a participant), it was amazingly quiet. I ordered room service once, the food was very good and the service fast.
In short, the Valhalla had everything I was looking to make my business stay comfortable. I do have one recommendation...the only mirror is in the bathroom, so it would have been nice to have a full size wall mirror...minor issue.
All in all, it was a great stay and I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi IMA204,

Thanks for the visit, yes we have made a lot of changes in the guest rooms, and I am glad you like them. The mirrors are comming. it was a slipup in our last reno, but we do have them onsite, and are installing them now. We look forward to your next visit.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the Valhalla during a work trip for a few days. They are very close to the airport but I didn't have any issues with takeoff/landing noise. The room was what I expect out of a hotel in this price range, but nothing overly memorable about it. I was in an Amethyst class so I got a free breakfast voucher for the continental breakfast. The continental breakfast doesn't have all that much on it though.

The staff was mostly friendly but the restaurant staff was hit or miss. One of the bartender's was great (can't remember his name, middle-aged guy). But then another night I had a different bartender and I couldn't hardly put in an order. I didn't go back to the restaurant again after that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Rambling Man;

Thank you for your Comments. I will give Mark the bartender you kind comments. We do have expectations that everyone in our hotel would be as great as Mark, and I thank you for bringing the service issues to my attention.
We do give have a free continental breakfast available for our Amyethyst Guests. If you do not want the continental breakfast, you can use the coupon for a discount on the breakfast of your choice. I appologise if this was not made clear to you.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

So I just stayed at the Valhalla... The room was clean and spacious.. The supposedly "upgraded my room". I'm not sure where I was staying before the " upgrade ". Because there was nothing special about the room. They did this because the it took forever to check me in because the printer continued to jam about 3 times. So I was exhausted from my travelling all weekend and decided I would go to bed early and was reading a book before I fell asleep. Well they must of had a late check in or my neighbour was gone all day... I could her their phone straight through my adjoining door. Also when she answered the phone and talked and giggled for about 1/2 hour. I was frustrated but how can I complain about people talking in their room?... The heater did not work until I fiddled with all the buttons... The next morning I brushed my teeth and the sink would not drain.... Never mind the night before I took a shower and there are no anti slip ANTHING in the tub... They must enjoy a good lawsuit here. I really don't usually complain about anything because I understand the whole customer service ... But really this was really horrible ... It just seemed like one thing after another. As for the managers comment on the cement business between the walls. That does not account for the doors... And you really calling your guests liars ...

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Melvin86340
Dear Melvin,

Thank you for your comments, We do have a fewe types of upgraded rooms, and we think that they are the finest rooms in the city. I do appologise for the events that left you with bad feelings about our hotel.
I did check with housekeeping, and they informed me that we do have rubber tub mats in some rooms for the bathtubs, and all other rooms have no sl;ip strips in the bottom. Househeeping is checking all rooms today for this. Thank you for the heads up.
I do not think I called somebody a liar. I think everyone has an opinion and deserves to be heard.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the Valhalla Inn for my second time in a year. This Inn is conveniently a 5 minute drive from the airport. Upon landing at the airport, I called the shuttle service and it was there very quickly. The front desk staff were most helpful and accommodating when the hairdryer in our room wasn't working and supplied toiletries that I had forgotten to bring along. The inn is under construction as they are adding more rooms and they had some problems in the main foyer with leaks in the ceilings but overall the hotel was clean, the service was good and the beds were very comfortable.....best sleep in a long time! I might add that the construction was not bothersome at all and the workers were very polite to move for guests when we had to go past their work area. This inn is conveniently located if you have a car to travel around Thunder Bay. If not, there are a few stores and Enterprise car rental within walking distance. (i.e. grocery, Walmart, Tim Hortons) I did some comparative shopping and this hotel was reasonably priced compared to some of the others in the area and it wasn't in the 'heart' of the traffic area. I would return to this hotel in the future as I felt it was of good value for the money.

Room Tip: The third floor was much quieter than the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jjden
THank you for your kind comments about our hotel. We are now finnished renovating in the guest room area until later this year, I think around November, I am glad this was not an issue for you. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed here while visiting my boyfriend before we move to Thunder Bay. The hotel shuttle was waiting when I arrived at the airport, which was nice. I understand that most of the newly renovated rooms are being offered to airline crew and pilots for their stays in Thunder Bay.

When I arrived at the hotel, the front desk staff was not going to let me into the room as my name was not on the reservation, but eventually made me a key anyway.

The hotel is quite large, but lobby looks renovated and there are computers available for your use. There is a bus stop right outside so you can travel into the city if you'd like. Very convenient if you do not have a car. There is an Enterprise car rental next door that will give you a discount as a Valhalla guest. Walmart and Fitness Club across the street.

The room itself was pretty old, but comfortable and we were not in there much, so it worked alright. There was a parking spot right outside the room, but we couldn't use that door as it was broken so we had to exit out the side of the hotel. The bathroom was small, but fully functional and had good amenities. Very clean as well. I never felt like the room wasn't clean and there were a ton of blankets and pillows which was awesome. I was also NEVER disturbed by ANY construction of any kind, day or night, although they are doing many changes around the hotel.

The room service here is fast and hot, which is exactly what I like when I'm trying to relax. There was a huge TV in the room as well, so if you're someone who can't live without TV, you'd be happy! It is kind of on a weird angle in relation to the bed, but it can be turned.

We also ate at the restaurant here and it was excellent service both times! The waiters were honest and quick to take your orders. Food again was fast. They are currently trying to have 2 restaurants in one as they recently had a fire and are renovated the other one.

There is a courtyard at the hotel that looks like it will be a great place to enjoy the outdoors in the summer time. Also, the hotel has a large pool, hot tub, and sauna. There were actually not as over crowded as I thought they would be and both nights we were alone in the pool. The hot tub jets are not very strong so it is kind of like having a bath. There is limited fitness equipment as they advertise the large Fitness Club across the street (which has female only work out areas).

I would stay here again as I know they are working hard to renovate and keep everyone happy at the same time. I would like to see what it looks like when it is all done. Overall, I was exceptionally pleased with my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your kind comments. Yes our hot tub jets are a little weak, and we have been trying to remedy that. I am very glad that you went to the Athletic Club, our patnership with this great facility is a great feature for our guests.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on two seperate occasions for a period of one month each. I work at a Railway and have very random hours and despite that, this hotel never fails to meet and exceed expectations. The food is very well priced, filling, cooked properly (omelettes especially :D) and the wait staff is very friendly. In the two months I spent there the only problem in either of the two rooms was someone brought some yappy dog with them and the walls did little for that, but I never had any other trouble sleeping. Second floor I highly recommend although all rooms have very simple heaters/AC and you can use them according to your own preference. All in all easily the best hotel I've stayed at and I know where I'm headig everytime I'm in Thunder Bay.

• Stayed May 2012