“Average ! Hotel”
Review of Valhalla Inn

Valhalla Inn
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Seems like this is the hotel of choice in Thunder Bay, not really sure why but I guess because of its close proximity to the airport.

The rooms are dated(at least on the 3rd floor) that is! Couches in the rooms are uncomfortable, in about half he rooms I've had( I'm here often on business) have unappealing odour's, stained carpets and I've on more then one occasion had to call the front desk so they could come and change he sheets on the bed, as on my day of arrival I jumped into bed and notice that the sheets have odours of perfume from previous occupants.

Restaurants runway 25 very expensive and not good value for the money! I was disappointed as 3 of my group were ill that same night after eating there. However I was fine..... But again not good value for the money.

Timbers ....meh it's nothing special, it's a restaurant.

The staff at the hotel seem very nice, and helpful but I think the hotel needs to have a stronger leadership team and willingness to improve, as if another chain were to build as close to the airport I feel the Valhalla would certainly see and feel a sharp decline in customers.

Bottom line it's an average hotel with average amenities at an inflated price, shop around you may find a better value for your dollar within a 5 minute drive to the airport.

Room Tip: Any other floor hen the third!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Boomer79
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Medicman,

Thank you for your comments. The 3rd floor is being upgraded early in the new year. This will only leave one floor that is not renovated in the hotel. You can always ask for a specific room type when you make your reservation.
I think Runway25 Steaklounge is reasonably priced for the type of restraurant it is. It may be slightly higher than a chain restaurant, but if you consider the type of menu it is, it is a good value. I am sorry your friends were sick. I was sick last week as well.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times for work and it really is your best best in Thunder Bay. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and recently refurbished, large flat screen tv etc. They have a turn down service, which is not my thing, but is nice to get an extra bottle of water. The restaurants (yes plural) in the hotel are decent, and for short stays very convenient. Not sure if it's all hotels, but I also like the luggage tags they'll make for you with you business cards. Cute touch. If I had one suggestion, the in room coffee selection is poor. No decaf, no name brand.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for staying with us. I really don't think our hotel is decaying, we do have a few guestroons that are tired, but we are remedying that. Our hallways are all going to be completly renovated as of Dec. 20th, and they look great!
I do appologize for the way you were treated by the front desk. We have a saying in our hotel....NO, NO. That means we do not say no to a guest. THis is not our standard and I will bring your concerns to the Front Desk Manager.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Valhalla Inn is old and decaying in parts, but is undergoing renovation; if you are in a recently refurbished section, as I was, the rooms are pleasant and comfortable. I spent 8 nights there and would happily return, despite some issues mentioned below. The 2 restaurants are affordable and offer pleasantly different menus. The staff are friendly and the service is generally good, though the reception desk was not always very helpful in answering questions I had a few times in the absence of any information folder in my room; in one case the info was actually wrong (about the room phone which had no instructions or directory) and in another case, the receptionist seemed to have no interest in helping. I had another incident - an exception to the friendly staff - when I took laundry down to the front desk (having been told it would NOT be collected from my room!); I was told in a very exasperated and impatient tone that I should have sealed the list inside the bag, not attached it outside, and had to untie the bag to do just that on the counter at reception while the young man watched. The cleaning of the room was also not as thorough as it should have been. The conference facilities were generally satisfactory, though the WiFi was a bit slow. Warning: the hotel gets rather busy on weekends with weddings; it must be Thunder Bay's favorite wedding spot!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

When in Thunder Bay, there is only one place to stay and that is the Valhalla! Make sure you ask for one of the renovated rooms. The beds are comfortable and the amenities good. The restaurant serves a great breakfast. I am sure you will be comfortable here. It is locate close to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow, Thank you for the great feedback. We really try and impress every guest like we impressed you. Thank you very much.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Valhalla Inn for three days attending meetings at the hotel. The staff were very friendly starting with an efficient check-in and check-out. I ate at the hotel often (lunches and ordered in dinners) and found all of the food to be very good and reasonably priced. The room was large and overall very comfortable. The lounge area is very comfortable and offers a warm welcome when you enter.
On the down side, the fitness area needs improvements with only one treadmill, two stair climbers and free weights. I also found it puzzling that even though I checked in relatively early during the day, I ended up with a handicapped room right next to an elevator which made it relatively noisy.
Despite these minor things, I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the form of a square. Ask at the front desk which elevator to take to your room to...

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for staying with us. We have many room types and if you had a accessible room, I appologize. We are very busy, and we allocate rooms as per what is available. We presently have 3 out of 5 floor renovated and our reservations dept. can help you find avery comfortable room.
our selection of exercise equipment is limited. But we do have free use of The Athletic Club across the street for our guests to use. It is a fantastic facility.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

It has been many years since I stayed at the Valhalla, so it was a little bit of a let down. Rooms on the first floor are pretty run down. I could not get in the motel at night from the back and it is dark back there and ended up taking 10 minutes of walking in the dark to find an entrance that would let me in with my key.

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room with easy night time access.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

First , let me thank you for remebering the Valhalla and returning to stay with us. Over the last 2 years we have done extensive renovations in the hotel. 130 rooms are completley renovated and the rest of the rooms including the ground floor are scheduled for the next 2 years.
We have also discussed increased lighting for the parking lots, and we hope to have thisdone by next summer.
Thank you for your feedback, as this makes us better.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed on the newly renovated second floor! All new and very nice! Apparently the 2nd and 4th floors are now re-done.
I also liked the free pass to the gym across the street, which is so much better than in-house fitness facilities.
Restaurant food was great too.

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't interconnected. My room was quite noisy from the neighbours - the soun...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Hi Paula,

I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. The Athletic club is a service we have provided for our guests for the last 3 years. No hotel could offer a facility like that for their guests, and we are very lucky to have it across the street from the Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that the interconnected room was noisy. We have kept these types of rooms for family's, who find them very nice. All you have to do is ask at the front desk or mention it to reservations when you arrange your stay to give you a room without an adjoining room.