“New renovations make a difference!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Valhalla Inn
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Kenora
“New renovations make a difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed on the newly renovated second floor! All new and very nice! Apparently the 2nd and 4th floors are now re-done.
I also liked the free pass to the gym across the street, which is so much better than in-house fitness facilities.
Restaurant food was great too.

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't interconnected. My room was quite noisy from the neighbours - the soun...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ValhallaThunderBay, Director of Sales at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hi Paula,

I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us. The Athletic club is a service we have provided for our guests for the last 3 years. No hotel could offer a facility like that for their guests, and we are very lucky to have it across the street from the Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that the interconnected room was noisy. We have kept these types of rooms for family's, who find them very nice. All you have to do is ask at the front desk or mention it to reservations when you arrange your stay to give you a room without an adjoining room.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel is one minute away from the airport and is impressive from the moment you set foot inside. It feels really cozy and captures the northern feel of the area. There is a perfect combination of rustic and high tech (fireplaces, artwork and large LCD screens displaying conference information. The hotel has a really cool bar restaurant which is candle lit (AWESOME!) Theres also a cool breakfast restaurant. The rooms were newly renovated and perfectly clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was large by any standard. There was a large LCD TV, a desk , leather chair, lots of electrical outlets and computer hookups FREE internet and a good view (from the 4th floor). THe bathroom was spotless and the shower and tub worked very well. Soap, shampoo and conditioner were above average for the hotel variety and towels were soft and numerous. If you wanna be picky the curtains only had the veil...the dark drape only went halfway so sun would not be blocked in the morning. The rooms were relatively sound proof but you can also hear the planes take off and land in the morning because of the proximity to the airport. None of these things bothered me. The vending machines are expensive but you can cross the street if you wanna save a dollar (I chose to shell out two dollars for a Kit Kat rather than go out in the cold LOL). The food in the conference rooms was delicious. This place exceeds expectations.

Room Tip: Fourth Floor is renovated and has a good view If you wanna save a couple of bucks cross the street...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. What can I say, this is what we all strive for at the Valhalla. We are 30 years young, and we are just what you say. We love the scandinavian design of our hotel and the modern rooms always meet our guests expectations. Thank you very much for staying with us.

Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I just spent the last two nights at the Valhalla Inn in Thunder Bay. I was there for business and needed to spend time writing reports while I was there. The room was suitable, the staff were helpful and most friendly. However, due to the fact I had to stay in my room writing reports I ordered room service both evenings and mornings. The first night I ordered the special of the evening which was Basa. Horrible, greasy with a corn flake type crumb crust and rice. I asked for vegetables which were provided at extra cost. This was such a bad meal. The next night I ordered steak medium rare. The steak was cooked to order yet it was grainy, tough and tasteless. The omelet I ordered for breakfast was so rubbery I couldn't finish it. If my stay extended beyond the two nights I would have ordered take out pizza.
Also, I needed to meet with a client in the fireplace lobby. I know the hotel is undergoing renovations but the furniture we sat in were threadbare. Very shabby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Wow, I guess we really dropped the ball for you. We did have some issues last summer, and we have made many changes in the food and beverage areas. On a daily basis we are discussing our victory's and challenges that our guests are commenting on. Because of this I think we are getting better. I hope you will try us again, we strive every day to meet every guests expectations.

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband & I stayed here during our move across the country along with our 2 cats & 2 dogs. While the room was certainly a good size, it had very out dated decor. I did like the patio doors for easy access to take the dogs out to do their business, but did not like the dirt patch right outside of the doors as it was all but impossible not to track dirt & mud (raining the whole time) into the completely carpeted room - made for a nice mess at the patio doors.

After a long day of travel, we decided to "treat" ourselves to room service, rather then going out to try to find somewhere to eat at 8:00 at night. That was a mistake - first of all, we placed our order at 8:00 pm, at 9:05 pm we had to call to see what the heck was taking so long?!?! We were told "It's coming now". About 5 minutes later it finally arrived ... and they had sent the wrong wine after a discussioin with the person that took the order about the wine specifically! Took about another 10 minutes just to get the correct glass of wine. I had ordered the battered pickeral and was looking forward to it ... it sucked! I think they used corn flakes to batter it, and my husband said the same. Needless to say, our "treat" was not such a treat after all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ValhallaThunderBay, Manager at Valhalla Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments Robin. I do apologize for the lack of attention to detail on your recent stay. The levels of business in Room Service can fluxuate rapidly and sometimes without notice. We usually like to give our guests time limits of about half an hour to 45 minutes or sometimes a bit longer depending on the high volumn of orders being placed in a hotel of our size. If the attendant did not give you an estimated time for delivery, I am sorry. I am also sad to hear that you did not enjoy the Pickerel Fish Fry. This is one of the biggest selling items on our menu and does indeed come with a corn crusted breading. We have had this item on our menu for years and has proven to be an item that guests come back for. I hope we can better serve you on your next visit.

Phoenix Schweitz
(Outlets Manager)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We are fussy people -- not extravagant, but particular about the rooms in which we stay. We have stayed at the Valhalla Inn, Thunder Bay, 4 times in the past 2 years. This location is convenient to the airport (and has a shuttle), the major highways, and most amenities. We travel through Thunder Bay almost yearly, and this has been our hotel of choice.

The rooms are more expensive than most in the area, and renovations are underway. The rooms on the first floor (the only area they allow dogs) are "tired", but they're big rooms, and they're by all means not objectionable. In our opinion, they're pricey, given the "tired" condition of the rooms; however, they're quiet, and the patio-door access to the car is highly convenient for unloading/loading luggage, and for taking the dog out for walks. The rooms have been clean, comfortable, and sufficiently supplied with towels. The wireless internet works like a charm, and there are ironing boards/irons, blow dryers, and complimentary coffee/tea (including the 1 cup coffee maker). There have been no fridges or microwaves in the rooms in which we've stayed.

On every occasion, the staff has been very friendly and helpful, and they've given us absolutely no grief over our well-behaved and quiet Newfoundland dog. We were happy with this hotel, and we'll quite likely stay again next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hillary S
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Located close by the Airport the Valhalla Inn has been known to be one of the best hotels in Thunder Bay - We stayed there 3 nights over the August long weekend Aug 4,5,and 6th. We arrived at 2:00pm and we were told our room would not be ready for another half hour. We came back at 3:30pm and then we were told that they had no clean rooms available yet. Normally we are pretty loose when we travel but we had plans to meet friends at 4:00pm and did not get into our room until 4:15pm. The manager noticed our frustration and offered us 4 breakfast vouchers for our trouble which was a nice touch. We stayed in room 126 on the first floor, we had been warned that the first floor has not been renovated but because we were travelling as a family of four and cots are not allowed on the upper floors we stayed on the main floor by choice. The room was dated but clean and comfortable. My kids enjoyed the pool, I believe its a salt water pool nice not to be smelling like chlorine coming out. I remember the restaurant "Timbers" from years ago as pricey with lacking service and it has not changed. For a family of 4 expect to spend $40+ for breakfast and you'd better allow at least an hour. In the lobby they sell coffee and danish for $3 if your in a hurry. There are many wonderful breakfast places in Thunder Bay so I would simply suggest going to an alternate choice. The hotel is undergoing renovations so I suspect it will only improve as they are completed. Overall a good comfortable choice located next to the airport was nice for our early morning flight.

Room Tip: The first floor has not yet been renovated but I understand that the third and fourth floor renovati...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pwr1019
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is very convenient to the airport in Thunder Bay. The hotels near the airport are all over 25 years old I would say and all about the same price based on my internet hunting. I have stayed at the Valhalla 4 times now since April, and the service is consistently good. The desk staff are friendly and efficient and staff you meet in the halls greet you with a smile.

This hotel is actively upgrading it's rooms and I have enjoyed the new rooms the last 2 visits. The beds were comfortable with a number of pillow choices. The rooms had a sitting area and a working desk with a port for wired internet if you prefer that over the wireless (important if you are far from the elevator/reception area). I have experience poor wireless reception before and always travel with a cable.
The TV was great! It was a 32" LG with a USB port at the back. I was able to review photos I took with that port using an SD card USB adapter. What a difference in HD! I must get a new monitor at home!
There was no noise in the room associated with the airport next door so sleeping was no problem.

The last couple of times I stayed, I did not have my laptop so I used the business centre. There are 2 old computers and 1 was not working. The place was not busy, though and the working computer had good internet speed and there was a printer available. I did not try to send anything to it so I don't know how well it worked.

The only negatives I have experienced here are:
1) The wireless signal is weak in the rooms and the front desk could only recommend the business centre as an alternative. You could use your laptop in the lobby.
2) The Timbers restaurant is fairly plain and the service average but adequate. The high end restaurant (runway 25) seems pricey based on the promotions and menus. I must say, though, that I have not actually eaten there.
3) The distance to some of the back rooms is far from the lobby. A guest can, however, use their room key to access other doors which may be closer to their room.

Overall a comfortable stay with good staff. The airport shuttle is efficient but you have to leave time if you plan to use it. It only runs on the hour and half hour.

Room Tip: To get a room near the elevator, lobby and business centre, get one that ends in x02 to about x12 (t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business