“So-so...”

Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed October 28, 2009

This hotel looks like something out of the 1950s. Needs some serious updating.

Room was clean, but not very soundproof - traffic noise, vacuum sweeper at 4:30 AM and a gap at least a quarter inch wide around the room door. No wireless or wired internet at the hotel. Was able to hit someone else's server nearby.

Good downtown location. On the waterfront.

I'd stay here again IF the price was right maybe.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Tony_S123, General Manager at Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Thunder Bay. Also, thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

There are plans to upgrade the hotel, in the new year.

We do have wireless internet available, we did have the access point on 5th floor not working, but has been replaced.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again .

Reviewed October 4, 2009

I stayed at The Prince Arthur Hotel and Suites for a girls getaway weekend we had a spacious clean suite at an affordable price. We walked to the Casino to the Bay Street Festival and also took in some Jazz right in the hotel all in one weekend. I would highly recommend this for a quick inexpensive getaway.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Congratulations to the Prince Authur Hotel In Thunder Bay Ontario, This is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, I travel all over Canada for business and stay at hotels 4-5 nights every week, so I am well seasoned, I am not a complainer, I can live with the odd defficiency when staying away, but this place well where would you start on the list, impossible to connect to FREE INTERNET, curtains falling down and ripped, spiders webs and spiders on ceilings, blocked sink, no staff to answer your requests, scalded by hot water in shower because someone happened to flush the toilet in the room next door, nothing in the room to let you know about the hotel and it's facilities, perhaps this was done on purpose as the facilities no doubt would suck anyway, the rooms are filthy dirty, what staff there were very unhelpful, save your money folks, sleep in your car, you will have far much fun and have change in your pocket, what a farce, reminds myself of the comedy John Cleese and Fawly Towers, rooms very similar.

2  Thank Stu1Ontario
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We are here on and off from now until the end of March 2010 (we don't have a choice about the location--it's a complicated work thing). Unfortunately, our first room was dark, a bit dusty and had a door that you really had to slam if you wanted it to shut, our window looked out onto other buildings, a busy street and had no view and no screen.
On the bright side, when we asked for a different room and got one, This one had a better view and generally was a better room. I didn't feel like I was staying in a room out of the movie-- The Shining, anymore.
The beds are uncomfortable and leave alot to be desired. Management told us that all the beds had recently been updated...I don't think so.. ours is like sleeping in a hard, lumpy hammock.
The bathroom is a surprise, nice, clean, roomy and bright. (I'm generally not one too complain) The size of the rooms are good too.
I know it's an old hotel and I have taken that into consideration..but it could do with some more reno's. It's a bit musty, it is old (1911), but that's part of it's charm..I guess. Also you can hear almost everything that goes on around you, takes a bit of getting used to--I thought someone was trying to get into my room last night, but it was a neighbour trying to enter their room--once again it's the door thing, lol.
The staff here are courteous, polite, and friendly and they sortof make up for the shortcomings of the hotel. Our check-in was fast and they are very accomodating with our needs. Room service is quick and the food arrives hot.
Would I recommend this hotel? I'd say yes and no..but for the review, I'd have to check no because it won't let me check both. It has it's good points and bad points. Would I stay here by choice? no.

1  Thank sophie667
Tony_S123, Manager at Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and we value your comments.

We will take a better look to ensure that all of our rooms have proper lighting.

The view, we can't fix, but I do recommend that you ask for a lake side room, on your next stay.

I am happy to read that may staff where helpful and gave you a room that was much better then the first.

We have done some upgrades to our guest rooms, over the past year and understand that more needs to be done. Most of our beds have been replaced, not all as of yet.

Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Prince Arthur is an old hotel with new attitude. The room that I stayed in was perhaps in need of some updating, but it certainly was clean and fresh. How nice it was to have a 2 room suite for less than the price of many big city places. The breakfast that was included was delicious and more than filling. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. And the view of the waterfront was absolutely beautiful!

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Old, dirty, noisy, dated, intimidating, rude. However, this is supposed to be the best hotel in the area. Go with the travelodge by the airport- apparently its a safer bet. or drive further out and go to a camp site

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank surrey83
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Rooms are outdated, sheets and bedding are stained. Carpet is old, stained and gross to walk on. You can hear a mouse fart in the hallway, I actually think I did. The elevator got stuck halfway up the floor and had to crawl out. From then on I used the stairs. That narrow, twisting piles of crap they call stairs. The emergency stairs look like they would crumble if you stepped on them.
They had free internet but the whole time this homeless person was using it.
It did have a lovely view of the lake, that I could see from a dirty, broken window of a [--] hole room!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank hockeychronic
Tony_S123, Manager at Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2009

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. Feedback from our guests is important to us, as it helps us improve our service and facilaties.

Your commets have been reviewed and corrective action has been taken.

Our goal is to ensure that our guests have a pleasent and memorable stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the future.