Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites
$95
$80
Travelocity
$106
Thunder Bay Inn(Thunder Bay)
$86
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssleeping gianta lake view roomold railwaywater frontan older hotelhot tub and saunaflat screenindoor poolcomfortable bedsfront desk staffparksidebightthunderlodgingmuffins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We should have believed the reviews. I called the hotel and booked a suite for one night. I was very candid and said I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor. They assured me that the hotel has been refurbished. Well, first the lobby. It is not luxurious at all. the front desk is tacky and the front desk staff is not at all courteous. There is one rickety old elevator to service the whole hotel. When we arrived with our bags, it took us 10 minutes for the elevator to arrive. When we got to our room I was shocked. Old, worn out, scraped and scarred furniture - an old, droopy couch, etc. The bath was very tiny with a pedestal sink and no room for toothbrush, etc. The bedroom was OK, there was a beautiful jacuzzi, but there was only one dim lamp, two office type chairs, and the bed and TV cabinet were scratched and old. The "view" is marred because the windows have a big piece of plywood with a window air conditioner in it. The living room was old, frumpy couch, scarred and marred coffee table and TV cabinet. There was a refrigerator and microwave standing in the middle of the living room. I felt that the people at the hotel were not honest with us when we called to make the reservation. The hotel was in a good location, however. If you can ignore the rest of the problems, you might enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rose-Grows
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I don't believe that these reviews are accurate. from my experience many people complain because they want a free room. I travel on a daily basis and see many hotel rooms, and overall the prince is not a four star, but certainly passes for a three star.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 24, 2008

we thought this hotel sounded lovely but from when we walked through the doors it was obvious we were wrong.the service was awful-they couldn't care less and our room was appalling.it was so dusty that within minutes I was having an asthma attack.we opened the one window that did open but when night temparatures are in the minus zone it's not practical.the bathroom was poor but not horrifically dirty.the bad service continued until we made an earlier than planned exit!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cozartKentEngland
Reviewed April 5, 2008

The rooms are terrible! Everything was very dated, smelly, and dirty. This place needed major updates! I didn't even want to take a shower in the bathroom...I had "Psycho" flashbacks! After 1 night, my husband and I checked out and checked in to the Super 8! It was much better!

Stayed: December 2004
2  Thank JillRyanWelch
Reviewed February 25, 2008

After years of staying at other Hotels in Thunder Bay, we decided to give the Prince Arthur a chance--after all, it was the Hotel of choice of our parents,when we were just wee folk.
I wasn't sure what to expect,upon arrival at the facility--I had thought,for the asking price of 79$, it would be a steal.
The Staff was very helpul---that wasn't the problem.
We've stayed on numerous occasions, and provided you book a "standard room",meaning 2 double beds,etc., it's no big deal--you get what you pay for,right? Somewhere to sleep,get cleaned-up,grab a bite to eat.......however,don't make our mistake,by booking a suite.We booked a suite (in the middle of the Winter),and I will NEVER do that again.
The place is in dire need, and I do mean dire, of upgrades. To the Management's credit-they've tried--but they will never attract the type of return visitor they're hoping for. The place is hopelessly stuck in the 50's.
We stayed up on the 5th floor. It was nice and quiet-no loud party animals,or slamming doors at 4 a.m. on the floor. Our "suite" looked like 2 rooms had been smashed together to create the suite.Bathroom had horrible lighting,even though it had been redone.The furniture was old,and scratched,and looked like it came from the Sally Ann---NO thermostat in the room.We were pretty much at the mercy of the front desk people---it felt like it was 75 deg.,with no relief in sight for the entire stay.I finally left the sliders (located at the bottom of each window) open all night--it was the only way to cool the place down.Horrible,simply horrible.Our whirlpool tub had a cigarette burn in the exterior,and one of the "jets" came off it's housing.Our Suite was clean,and otherwise comfortable--the housekeeping staff very nice,and when we asked for more towels,and pillows,they were more than happy to accomodate. I could have forgiven everything that was wrong with our stay, if not for the pigeon droppings all over the window ledge. The droppings had to be at least an inch thick in some spots.They were frozen to the window,and ledge,and we wondered if the management ever bothered to clean the areas in the past 10 years or so.One family member refused to even touch the windows,because of the bird "dirt".I finally grabbed some toliet paper,wrapped my hand a half dozen times,then opened the window---after which I promptly washed my hands.If it had been a professional traveller reviewer type of person staying in that room, I have no doubt they would have asked for their money back.Unacceptable,by most people's standards.
To their credit--the view was lovely--we enjoyed it during the summer months,and Fall. This is the Prince Arthur's strong point,and they should be capitilizing on it.Pigeon poop does not make a visitor to the Hotel feel welcome---CLEAN IT UP, it's nauseating.There's no plug-in's,for your vehicle,in the Winter months.Guests should remember that,when it's -20 F.
The Dining room was nice,smallish, comfortable, and the food reasonably good.Again--a part of the Hotel, that's "trying" to improve.I give them thumbs up for that. The swimming pool was a major dissapointment.It resembled something out of a Stephen King novel---dingy,uninviting,and almost scary.Not somewhere I'd want to take the kiddies to.Even a couple of fake palm trees would be a vast improvment
I would stay at the Prince Arthur again, but I certainly wouldn't make it a "destination" location, from anywhere.If I was from the States, I'd choose another Hotel, the Vahalla Inn,or the Day's Inn.They've got a long way to go,to make the Prince Arthur the Hotel "to stay at", when visiting the city.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank snowy62