“Good Price and room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Liverpool, England
“Good Price and room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our room in the Prince Arthur was huge, clean, comfy yet dated (maybe classic), but for the price it was a good stay and a good deal.

In the immediate vicinity there are a few bars, restaurants as well as fast food establishments.
The reception staff were very friendly, cracking jokes when checking in and advising on the best room for our family's needs.

We found our stay enjoyable and restful after a long days driving and so would stay again when next passing through Thunder Bay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BarryBarnstable

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Prince Arthur while on a business trip and couldn't have been more pleased. My refurbished room on the 5th floor was extremely clean and comfortable and came with a decent-sized fridge and microwave, not to mention a fantastic view of the sleeping giant and the harbour. Sunrises were spectacular. And the room was so quiet! I had 5 great sleeps, even with the trains running below. My only quibble was the low wattage light bulbs — but since I always travel with brighter bulbs, it wasn't a problem.
The common areas of the hotel (lobby, restaurant, corridors) were clean and well-maintained. The stairs (which I used for exercise) were a little beat-up, and the elevator somewhat creaky, but considering it's a 100-year-old hotel I didn't mind. It all adds to the character of the place. I didn't use the pool so can't comment on that. The food in the restaurant was great. Service throughout my stay was friendly, helpful and informative, beginning with the manager who booked my reservation to the security guard who drove me to the airport at 4:30 a.m. for my return flight.
The location is terrific — within walking distance of the public library, several good restaurants, and the lovely waterfront walk across the street. I would certainly recommend the Prince Arthur to other travellers, whether they're in Thunder Bay for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor overlooking the harbour. My room, 505, was very large and bright, wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a regular room with a queen bed and a fantastic view of the sleeping giant and the harbor.
The linens were great and we both slept really well. The room had a small refrigerator and coffee maker and coffee. We had coffee in our room and looked at the harbor and the sleeping giant. We were on the fifth floor so our view was great. The front desk was excellent when we checked in and there is free parking. Did not use the pool or even looked at the pool. We drove to the hotel from the airport but they have shuttle service. We ate an excellent breakfast in the dining room. There are good historical facts and pictures about the hotel in the lobby and dining room. The shower and towels were great.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside view and high floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smokedogaz
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel is over 100 years old, but has great character. Our room was huge, we were on the water side and had a great view of the marina and freighters coming in. We stayed in a pet friendly room and were able to go for walks close by. The restaurant food was great, and my son loved the pool. Liquor store and McDonalds are a five minute walk.

Room Tip: Waterview is great, sun was beaming in the morning, could almost smell the water!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

What a nice stay! The hotel rooms are normal size, and are a bit older, but obviously have been well kept. The bathrooms, door knobs, TVs, are all older, however everything was very clean, and very well taken care of, almost 'antiquey'. The beds were comfortable, and we had a small (but old) refrigerator along with little drawers under the TV stand. The staircase is beautiful with the original marble, along with old paintings on the ceilings and on the walls. The Wifi worked great, as we were right next to the router.

But, the best thing about our stay was the customer service. The people at the front desk were PHENOMENAL! We had a special request to put our canoe in their facility somewhere, and they accommodated it so kindly! They also directed us to some great local places to eat, things to do, and answered all of our questions, and said, "Keep it comin!" You can tell they really enjoy their job! I didn't catch his name, but thank you tall skinny guy with glasses!

Hotel location is great, right on the main strip in Prince Arthur, with stunning views over looking the harbour, so be sure to ask for a lake-view room by the wireless router. This older, well kept hotel was nice, and I would recommend giving it a try.

Room Tip: Choose a top level lake-view room, next to the wireless router.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

All the staff -- from the moment I made my reservation by phone to the time I checked out -- were wonderfully friendly and helpful.

The old elevator was charming, the room comfortable and the breakfast fine.

On the other hand, the pool was so bone-chilling that I could not swim and all the towels were paper thin.

Room Tip: Lake view is the way to go.
Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lakefield, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I always try to stay at the Prince Arthur when I am in Thunder Bay on business. I stayed last year in August and I am going again in December. Beautiful view of the Sleeping Giant and the full moon view is spectacular. The dining room is great for sunrise and a hot breakfast. The park across the walkway is lovely. The pool is splendid. Look at the picture! And a nice little sauna. The price is definitely right. I have no complaints. I find hotels like the Days Inn very boring.

Room Tip: book well in advance and ask for a corner room ( 2 windows).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business