“Great location and value near waterfront!”

Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Minnesota
“Great location and value near waterfront!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I brought our three kids to Thunder Bay for two nights. I had researched other hotels in the area but after arriving in turn was so grateful we picked this spot! It's less than a block to the beautiful waterfront with fountains, park, playground, skatepark, food, harbor tours, etc. The hotel itself is old, yes- but our room was big with refrigerator and coffee maker. Beds were comfortable. We also ended up with discounted room rate by picking up flier at visitor center entering Canada from Minnesota. Ask about 89 dollar room which included hot delicious breakfast!
The indoor pool was a bit chilly but the kids didn't mind. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful too! We are at famed Finnish cafeteria- Hoitos, and were not disappointed! This is also walking distance from hotel! Fort William is only 20 minutes away and Kakabeka Falls less than 30 minute drive!

So, take my word, I did lots of research and was very happy with the location of this hotel for our two day tour of Thunder Bay!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jotravlers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I had to make a last minute booking for (unfortunately) a Memorial Service for a good friend. Thunder Bay was in the middle of the Canadian Lakehead Exhibition, rooms in town were hard to find. My good friends at Prince Arthur Hotel found me a room, all be it a suite which was more than I could afford. They offered me a great rate considering my circumstances.

I had been to TB in March 2011 when my sons played in the Ontario Provincial High School Championships for Curling. They got to stay at PA, I didn't. But this time I did ! It was a tremendous experience. They were able to accommodate my unique requirements. I even got a view of the Sleeping Giant. In the course of 24 hours, I met at least 12 of the staff, including manager Tony Scarcello, The inhouse restaurant/bar (Portside) was excellent !

I'll be back and will definitely use Prince Arthur Hotel as my home base for my next visit.

Room Tip: For a +/- family of 5, book the suite with twin queens, ask for a Lake Superior / Sleeping Giant vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had a large room overlooking the harbour. The room was clean and relatively tidy. The hotel is within walking distance of some good downtown restaurants. I am, admittedly, a light sleeper and the trains through the night and the gulls at dawn woke me with regularity. Plenty of hall noise until midnight or so. I might have given this hotel a 4 [not their fault that I am a light sleeper], but with the water in the bathroom hooked up backwards...3.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here in the middle of a road trip after it was recommended by the staff at the Terry Fox Memorial.
It is an older hotel, one of the CPR hotels built to support the railway system. We upgraded to the 2 queen suite. Wow, let me tell you this room was huge by modern hotel standards, the room was huge.
We only stayed the one night but it was a very relaxing time.

Room Tip: The suite was huge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Owatonna, Minnesota
Reviewed August 8, 2013

A previous reviewer said the hotel, like the town, in rundown and dreary and that is exactly right. The hotel is old, and from previous reviews I didn't expect anything grand, so I wasn't really disappointed. The outside looks pretty bad and the elevator is small, slow and beat-up, but the room (we had an end unit with two windows on the top floor) was clean, bright and had great views of the harbor, which made up for a lot. In general, Thunder Bay is just not a very pretty or exciting town. They are making some changes, so ten years from now that might all be different. For now, if you have to stay here, the Price Arthur is at least well situated. Some of the newer hotels are out on a more commercialized strip where there is really nothing interesting or unique. If you stay here, you have several good restaurants within walking distance. Be sure to eat at Silver Birch across the street.

Room Tip: Top floor has a great view. End rooms have windows on two sides.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Room was clean and nice , WIFI was a bit spotty at times but I was not in my room enough to really care. Restaurant and bar is open from breakfast till 11pm and the food was good.
Location was right by the harbour and close to lots of restaurants .

Room Tip: I would not pay the extra to have a water front room as the windows are not that big
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The staff was friendly. Our room was very spacious and comfortable and clean. It was old fashioned but being built in 1911 that's to be expected. I was hoping for charm but didn't find it. In general the hotel seems tired and a bit dreary. Clean, but dreary. (The pool was indefinitely unavailable which doesn't influence my rating since I would not have used it anyway! I was disappointed to not get a lake view room but obviously not every guest gets a lake view room. That's not the hotel's fault.) The city of Thunder Bay is more disappointing than the hotel. It, too, is dreary. It's an old city and it shows. So in a way the hotel fits right in!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple