“Just OK - The View Isn't Worth It”

Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Here are the good things, first. The service was excellent - the desk staff were funny, friendly, and very helpful. The room was clean, parking was free, and the lobby/mezzanine was interesting and artful (what I'd expect from a historic hotel). But... the furnishings were old and dated, the hallways smelled strongly of chemicals and set off my asthma, and the worst part was there was no hot water in the morning - we could only get 1 min of hot then nothing but cold. Yes, it's true, the view of Sleeping Giant is absolutely beautiful. But for me, neither the view nor the room were worth the money we paid. Next time I'd stay elsewhere then take a walk along the waterfront instead.

There are newer reviews for Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Not sure where else you can stay in Thunderbay that has such a great view of the Sleeping Giant and walking distance to the new Marina Park. The parking is free, take the skywalk to the Marina Park for the free Wednesday evening concerts. Enjoy all the action in the harbor. The hotel is old but maintained. With an on site restaurant/bar and friendly staff we found the hotel more than adequate for our two day stay. This was our second trip to Thunder Bay, first stay at the Prince Arthur and we will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We reserved early for lake side view.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A historic property in a fantastic location in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The hotel doesn't have all the fixings of a modern 4 star hotel but it has been updated and the beds are modern and comfortable (the pillows are a bit too cushy for my liking though). I stayed one evening with my dog and enjoyed a lovely walk along the waterfront that evening (live music and food) which was just out front of the hotel.

Given its location and compared to other hotels in the area, the value for the hotel was very good. As well, you get to stay in a bit of Thunder Bay history.....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Big room with wonderful view overlooking the water, but there were only two lamps in this big space, no overhead lights at all. Thanks goodness we were here in mid-summer when the sun sets around 10:00 PM.

The towels were definitely bargain basement, but the bed linens were okay -- 200 count?

Would probably stay here again given cost and location.

Room Tip: request room overlooking water. Simply stunning.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was hesitant to book the hotel based on other reviews, but my husband loves rooms with a jacuzzi tub. I was very pleasantly surprised. Our room was very nice, comfortable bed, nice jacuzzi. Sure there are some flaws in wallpaper and paint, but it's an old building. I've lived in plenty of old houses; it goes with the territory. The staff is very friendly. Our only complaint was that the little room air conditioners couldn't really keep the room cool enough for pleasant sleeping. It wasn't that warm outside, so that was one disappointment. The location is great with lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The majestic Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel and Suites. We came across this hotel by chance. We could not find a place to stay in Thunder Bay and the only available rooms were here. A very pleasant surprise. The newly renovated and majestic building was fabulous overlooking the Thunder Bay harbour. The beds were comfortable and the rooms are very large and tastefully decorated of the period. The convenience of being in the centre of town where you can walk and enjoy the harbour. We will always book here as it is convenient to the airport, medical appointments and a weekend destination to the Thunder Bay area. Both dinner and breakfast served at the hotel is excellent as well as the exceptional service. Thank you to our server Randy for his skills and making us feel so relaxed and comfortable.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was not sure what to expect when I booked this room. I knew it was an old hotel, but it had a view of the water. When I got there I didn't want to park my motorcycle there. The hotel has seen better days, but the staff was very friendly. The furniture in the rooms is old as well as in the dinning room. The hall smelled like some sort of cleaning fluid, but not the room. The food at the restaurant was good. My biggest complaint was the air conditioner. Traveling by motorcycle I am in the heat all day and I like a cool room when I check in. The rooms are conditioned by window units and ours just could not keep up in the suite we were in. I had to go outside to cool off. The room did have a great view and I could have handled the age, but not the AC. We moved to another place for the following night.

Room Tip: Get a waterfront view. The street views are bad.