“Overpriced and outdated”

Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel is showing its age and big time. They really need to redo their small outdated and over priced rooms and soon. Very disappointed. The service at the front desk was great, very quick check-in. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and I must say again the staff very good, very friendly. Food was so-so ( mouldy bread) Felt bad for the waitress as she seemed so embarrassed by this. The view was great, so all in all I feel that the hotel needs to be revamped and if there not going to revamp the place lower the rate!!

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor and the room/bathroom very small.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Sallieeeeee TripAvisor Contributor,

I would like to thank you for your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay with us at Best Western Plus Nor'Wester Hotel & Conference Center. These comments help us to ensure every guest has a pleasant experience while visiting our hotel. I'm glad our staff went above and beyond to assist you and am pleased to hear you enjoyed the beautiful view.

I would love to hear from you as to your specific concerns with your room. All guest rooms (100%) have been newly renovated, including the addition of our new Business Center where guests are able to use one of our 2 new computers complimentary. In addition we just opened our new Cliff Hanger restaurant and bar.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the numbers below.

Kind regards,

(807) 473-2456

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel was very clean with great amenities. They had a fully equipped gym and pool. The hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay great. The front desk staff fulfilled all our requests. The restaurant staff was very helpful in meeting my dietary restrictions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Shireen78,

I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Best Western Plus NorWester Hotel and Conference Center. It brings me great joy that our kitchen staff were able to meet your dietary restrictions and that our front desk staff was so helpful to you. We are looking forward to seeing you again at our hotel....your home away from home!

(807) 473-2456

Reviewed April 8, 2013

From swimming to supper in the Cliff Hanger...it was great! My girls loved the clean, warm pool and with my daughters sore arm, the whirlpool did wonders! The room was facing the mountains and it was gorgeous. The staff was helpful and kind, especially with my children! Thank you for making our stayvaction a huge success!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear 155017Dlm TripAvisor Contributor,

We are extremely pleased and appreciate your review "My girls loved the clean, warm pool and with my daughters sore arm, the whirlpool did wonders! The room was facing the mountains and it was gorgeous. The staff was helpful and kind, especially with my children!" We look forward to providing another amazing experience to you and your family on your next Staycation.

Best Regards,

Business Development Manager

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself booked the cliff hanger suite to enjoy my birthday and a weekend without kids. The room was great, very clean and was stocked with the usual amenities. We love the suite as it has a large private balcony and a beautiful bathroom. On our second afternoon while trying to take an afternoon nap, we were awoken by an irritating little dog that barked for a good two hours. It was beyond annoying and it pretty much ruined the rest of our night. I called the front desk after about an hour and was told the second floor was pet free. I stated that there was clearly a dog up there and that they must stop the barking or we wanted a different suite or to check out. I ended up calling about 5 times and then about an hour later the barking stopped. My husband was told by an employee that whomever was in that suite was a friend of an employee. Did they allow the dog? Anyway, it was ridiculous and ruined our afternoon/evening. We didn't even receive and apology or a discount for the inconvenience. And at around $300 a night we were not impressed. I'm not sure if we will return now. We have been staying at this hotel for years and usually spend around $1000 for a weekend in this suite and feel as though we should have been treated better. Definitely not the service we expect as high paying guests. I'm actually getting angry writing this review. Anyways, the hotel itself is nice and peaceful (normally). Has a great pool area and gym. Also, the restaurant is ok, but way over priced for the quality of food you receive. Room Service is always fast and courteous. We were really disappointed with the service we received while there by the front desk. I can't even understand why the manager didn't even call to apologize.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank jcwlpc
emartineznw, Manager of Business Development at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear jcwlpc TripAvisor Contributor,

I would like to first start by wishing you a happy belated Birthday. Also I am happy to hear that you truly love the Cliffhanger Spa Suite as this is not the first time you experienced the taste of our hospitatilty in our Spa Suite.

Your business is very important to us and truly appreciate your loyalty. The events that took place were certainly unfortunate as it was mentioned by the Front Desk Manager when he apologized during a telephone conversation he had with your husband late in the afternoon of Friday March 29th. We embrace complaints with all of our heart in order to solve them as prompt as possible.
I sincerely apologies for the inconvenience and look forward to your return.

Please do not hesitate to call me so I can personally take care of booking your next reservation.

Best Regars,

807-473-9123

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Once the kids quit tramping through the hallways around 11pm, it is quiet. The pool and work out area's are good. During the afternoon, pretty much a gong show with unsupervised kids. Nice restaurant and great service. Good place if you are just passing through town. I had to phone for directions and the front desk did an amazing job getting us there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 10sAce52
emartineznw, Bussiness Development Manager at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear 10sAce52 Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your note, and we sincerely appreciate your feedback. I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your experience at our hotel, and your contact information would be most appreciated so that I am able to understand your specific "dated" findings or concerns so we can implement improvements.

In the event that there are any issues during your stay it is our wish that you contact our desk to give us the opportunity to make things better or to address the issues at hand. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the Cliffhanger Restaurant and that the front desk staff was so helpful!

It is feedback from our guests that enables us to continuously strive to deliver the service and experience that our Best Western guests know and love!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Business Development Manager

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Everything was awesome. Thanks NorWester. The Restuarant was great and the service was ok too. The Front desk staff were great and the view of the NorWester Mountains were something I have never seen before. It is only 10 minutes out of the city (8km South of the airport) and there is a lot to do. They offer free shuttle service and are very kind.. The pool and hottub were very relaxing and everything was clean. Thanks again NorWester, you were great.

Room Tip: The Business plus room was the best I liked.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
emartineznw, Business Development Manager at Best Western Plus Norwester Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Fredj

Thank you so much for your great review posted on TripAdvisor following your stay with us! I am happy to read that you enjoyed our great location and that the staff was friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thank you again for positive feedback!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was exceptionally accommodating. I had a few unusual requests for assistance and supplies, and the front office staff really went out of their way to be helpful. The room was pleasant and well-appointed, the view was lovely, and the hotel is exceptionally clean. I was there for meetings that included meals. The food was good and was served attractively. All in all, a very positive experience and a quite reasonable cost.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear: Gkq

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I was very pleased to read your comment " I had a few unusual requests for assistance and supplies, and the front office staff really went out of their way to be helpful". Our staff deserves the most recognition and our hats go off to them, I will share your feedback with them, so they can see how much it means to our guest when we care for them!

Thank you again for recommending our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.