“Beautiful Motel”

and 1 more site!
Lakehead Motel
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Thunder Bay
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This sept, 2013 was my first trip to visit Thunder Bay. When I arrived at Thunder Bay it was late evening. I found this motel and when I asked owner for the key to see the room I was amazed the way I found the room. Owner is from portugal. He kept this room like European beauty. Every thing was nice and clean. Owner was very friendly.I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lakehead Motel

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were looking for a cheap place to stay for a few nights as we dropped off our son for Lakehead University. After reading the reviews on TA, we went ahead and booked this hotel. It is just like the reviews state, nothing fancy but very clean and the owners were always available it you needed something, for example there was no can openner in our kitchen so they bought us one right away. The owners are in the process of replacing/renovating so you get a bit of an old/new combination. Our little kitchen was newer with an old stove, but it worked so who cares. The bathroom had been recently renovated. Some of the furniture is old and rather beat up, but for the price and cleanliness, again who cares. There are some comments on this being a bad part of town, well Thunder Bay is basically a blue collar town and the area is industrial/transportation oriented but at no time did we feel it was a bad area. If you need cheap and clean accomodations, this is your place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I travelled to Thunder Bay late in September, and needed 4 nights accomodation. Being self-employed I was trying to keep the expenses down. With the Valhalla being $150 a night, I managed to stay 4 nights for just about the price of one at the Valhalla. I took what I thought was a chance on the Lakehead, and was happy with virtually everything. New bathroom was nice, room was temperate (it was about 15 celcius during the day outside, and not cold at night), and the owners were happy to point me in the right direction for dinners etc. The wireless was weak, but then again, at $50 a night, I wasn't too concerned. The fridge helped with morning breakfasts. My neighbours were always courteous and friendly. I've recommended this motel to many friends, and although they too seem skeptical, it certainly worked for me!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CubaKids2010
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Needs a complete overhaul ... Room clean, but!Not the best place in city to stay. Quoted one price and confirmed room with visa but on arrival, motel mgmt. advised that room was taken and they had to put us in another room at higher rate. Certainly not a full house that particular night ... and we had arrived before 5 pm ... felt it was an excuse to get more $$$. Would never stay there again and do not recommend the Lakehead Motel.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Wayne G
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Some aspects of dealing with this establishment were a little strange. We tried to make a reservation about a month in advanced, and a very confused sounding woman told us to call back a week before we would arrive. We did, and had a hard time communicating with a clerk whose English was obviously limited, but we managed to confirm a room. They didn't want a credit card to guarantee the room, but asked what time we would arrive. The motel is not in the best part of town, but it was convenient to where we needed to be. The free wireless internet worked well. Our room was tiny but though this is an older motel, it was recently renovated and in good shape. There was a little noise from adjoining rooms, but nothing serious. If all you need is a place to sleep, this is a fine place, and the $50 rate is only half that normally charged by the chain motels in Thunder Bay.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank kimpete8
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Our room was bright, clean, and recently renovated. It was a pretty small room, but that was perfect for us. It was very cozy and warm, even with temperatures of -20C outside. The bathroom was rather spacious, with nice flooring and a new tub. There was plenty of hot water. With the new windows, we couldn't hear any noise from the road. The mini-fridge and microwave were great to have. We had no problems with the wireless internet. Motel owners were very friendly and pleasant.

The motel is located close to fast food and coffee shops. It is about 2 km from downtown, which was perfect for us. It was quite a bit further from the mall, but the mall was still very easy to get to from there; just a straight drive.

Last year, we stayed at the Voyageur Motel, just up the road.This motel is comparably priced, at about $50 a night, for a single queen bed. The Lakehead motel seemed like a better value for the same price. If you like the Voyageur, you will also like this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Masaryk3
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Very very clean...Quiet and the owners are very friendly and will make sure you have everything to make your stay pleasant...Beds are so comfortable and the bathtub is immaculate...Not bad at all for a motel!!! Great weekly rates...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo