“Over the Top - Beyond my Expectations”

Artisan Upstairs Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 15 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed at this lovely B & B on June 2nd and 3rd while visiting my daughter in Sudbury. It was my first time staying at a B & B and while I may not be an afficinado I can tell you that I am extremely fussy.

We had the Terra Room with the large 4-poster bed, private bath, private sitting room, and use of a fantastic mini-kitchen and a beautiful deck overlooking the backyard.

What stands out for me was the cleanliness, the fact that each room had brand new windows that let in lots of FRESH AIR, the towells smelled nice as if they were hung on the line, the spaciousness, the amazing Zen-like decorating with real potted plants everywhere including a little sprig of Lilly of the Valley on my bathroom windowskill, and amazing attention to detail with the furnishings, and decorating.

What was way beyond my expectations was the breakfast. My first breakfast included coffee, orange juice, fresh bowl of fruit, platter of cheese, prosciutto, and veggies, homemade banana bread, boiled eggs, warmed croissants, yogurt.........FANTASTIC....and always decorated with edible flowers and sprigs of mint. The second breakfast surpassed the first.

This was an OASIS and the host and hostess were very kind and helpful giving us ideas and directions for seeing the city. Thank you Peter and Linda for inspiring me to perhaps have my own B & B one day.

Room Tip: Terra Room has bonus sitting room 4 extra guest
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Our three night stay was absolutely perfect!

Surrounded by tastefully handcrafted decore, exceptionally clean, bright and spacious. Lovely large room with comfy king size four poster bed, perfect sitting area with sofa, table, clock radio, built in TV and VCR, cupboards and closet for clothes and a large window you clould open. Beautiful bathroom with great shower, fresh towels and bedding daily. A great equipped kitchen. All the amenities and more we needed to be very comfortable during our stay. Breakfast time was decided on our arrival and absolutley amazing (a variety of fresh fruits, cheeses, veggies, breads, eggs served boiled, omlett style, meats, breads, jams,coffee, juices, with tastefully added garnishes from the very gardens you overlook from the quaint private balcony.

Pete was very pleasant and informative about sites to see and places to eat.

Pete and Linda, you both helped to make our weekend a lovely one and we have shared our experiences about our stay at your home with many. We will certainly be back.

Thank you. Jenn Love

Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I would recommend this B & B to everyone visiting Sudbury. The rooms are super clean; your own private bathroom; TV; king size bed; good size private balcony overlooking a very nice backyard that is quite private. If you want to sit out in the evening, bring musquito repellent or Citronella candles as there was none in the shared kitchen! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The Artisan Upstairs Guesthouse is as good as B&B gets. My work has taken me to over 20 B&Bs across Canada. Most of them are very good, but Pete and Linda's place sets the standard.

On previous trips to Sudbury I stayed at the Auberge du Villages, which is attached to a downtown bakery. It's nice, but very expensive, and breakfast is served in a commercial bakery, which means early-risers are stuck. I'm glad I decided to try the Artisan this time, and I'll definitely be coming back.

The rooms are spacious, clean, beautifully furnished, and located on their own secluded floor. Downtown is only a short walk away from this well-priced B&B. The delicious breakfasts are varied and prepared with care. I had to get to work at 6.30 a.m. most mornings, but the hosts had food and coffee laid out for me — and even offered to pack it up to go. I was also given free use of a barbecue and kitchen if I didn't want to eat out. Touches like these really make this place stand out.

Pete and Linda are respectful hosts who will leave you alone to enjoy your stay if you wish. But equally, if you like to socialize, you're made to feel very welcome. I was taken swimming in a nearby lake, offered rides to town, and invited to share meals. These are decent people who can take a joke and are naturally hospitable.

Ignore the sole negative review of this superior B&B. Travelers looking for a sterile hotel with fake hospitality are welcome to check into a chain-hotel. Fans of B&Bs that offer comfort, quality hosting, and hosts who are real people, will find the best right here.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I read with disbelief the reviewer that thought this B&B was bad. The hosts are very friendly, the back garden is lovely, backing onto a forest. You have a small deck at the second floor level to enjoy the backyard. The breakfast is among our favourites - quality all the way with fresh fruit, multiple cheeses, tea & coffee & fresh bread & baked good, plus a boiled egg. There is a train line nearby, so if you're a light sleeper that may be a consideration. Lovely room and a MOST comfortable bed. How anyone could give this place a bad rap is beyond me. Can't please all the people, all the time, I suppose.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed at The Artisan Upstairs for two weeks while I was taking a course. The breakfasts were lovely and timely, giving me the best start on an intense day of school. The accommodations were impeccable, warm and inviting.
It was the little extras that made my stay so incredible. The home make goodies, flowers on the table when I got home, sheets hung on the line for that fabulous spring freshness.
It was a perfect stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Where the house is located is in a non eye appealing neighborhood. The front yard consisted of gravel where you park your car. As you enter the house you are entering into a small area that was full of shoes laying on the floor and coats handing on the wall. Very uninviting. Right in front of you is the steep stairs leading to the room. No offer to help carry bags up. The room we stayed in was the Terra Room. Decorated beautiful and clean. The chairs were very uncomfortable. The king size bed was hard. Absolutely nothing in the refrig. Nothing in the Kitchen. Could not find any bottled water, soda, tea, ect. Can't remember seeing any DVD, ect. in room except T.V. The view in the back yard over looking the gardens, Some flower planted with rock around does not constitue garden. The back yard was very unappealing. As for amenities, no tissue, no bar soa, just a plastic soup dispenser in the shower. Now for breakfast, The coffe did not arrive until 8:30, We sure wanted a cup before then. A hard boild egg, fresh fruit, some chesse, and 1/2 cucumber sliced up with 2 tiny Tim tomatoes. 1/2 apple cut up. As for the bread, it was French bread with poppy seeds on. ? home made....Ya right. As for a relaxing breakfast the ower stayed with us and discussed his view on how America should be run and all the problems we are having and how America has missed up the world.
No offer to help carried bags down. We wished we would have not spent our night there. Way over rated. We have stayed at B&B all over the world. This by far was our worst experence. Sorry I had to write this but the reviews in here are not what you get.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ravelaround
Artisanupstairs, Owner at Artisan Upstairs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2011

I would like to respond to this American guest buy point. As for our neighborhood it is not the most affluent area in Sudbury but it is safe and conveniently located by the lake and many things in Sudbury. Yes we have a gravel driveway. So? As for entering the hallway, we are a family and yes our shoes and jackets are in the hallway, but once you are upstairs you are in your own area that I take great pride in keeping clean. The steep steps came with this house that was built 60 years ago. My wife greeted these guests and most times we offer help with baggage if help is needed. The chairs are wicker chairs. This is the first complaint of the chairs in 9 years. We have been told on many, many occasions that we have comfortable beds. We were out of bottled water that day but we did have cold Brita water available in the fridge. Tea was available if they just looked around and if they would have asked we would have found them some. As for the DVD player it is in the adjoining room and if they actually had a movie to watch they could of sat there or again we would have gladly moved it into their room. As for or back yard garden in mid October after a few frosts our Northern Ontario Gardens do look somewhat sad. I do like bar soap but have found for our business that for cost and sanitary reasons soap dispensers work best. They asked for breakfast at 8:30 am and we brought breakfast at 8:30 am. We have on many occasions brought coffee up earlier if requested. We have received many compliments for our breakfasts through the years. So much so that some of our past customers have taken pictures and posted them on Trip advisor. And yes it sure was home made bread baked fresh that mourning. I have had many wonderful conversations with guests in the mourning threw the years. I guess my view on health care was not shared by my guest. We do try our best to make everyone fell special but I guess you can’t please them all.