“Beware” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Sudbury
Hamilton, ON
“Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2007

We are well seasoned travelers, and we were pretty disappointed with this hotel.

First, those "sleep number" beds they charge a slight premium for are terrible. Yes, you can control the "firmness," but for me it was like adding or subtracting air from an air mattress. We really needed good sleep on this trip to sudbury and didnt get it. Maybe a regular mattress woulda been better?

Also, for $124.99 a nite i'd expect to find 2 ply tissue in the bathroom I expect to find one ply in a $60 a nite motel. Cheap.

The mall this hotel is attached to is pretty lame. Really just discount stores.

Hotel cleaning staff were friendlier than the front desk. When we checked out there's wasnt even a "how was your stay?"

The pool was the only highlight of this place. It was big, with a deep end. As well there was a hot tub. Jets were a little weak, but it was hot and cleaned every morning.

Stay elsewhere.

[I'd suggest Fairfield Suites (Marriott) or Ambassador Hotel.]

• Disliked — almost everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Corey_M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Syracuse,NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

Would not be my first choice of accomodations. Picked a busy time to be in Sudbury , so took a room here. Hotel is downtown with tight parking situation. In asking for senior rate ( AARP) ,we got a room in the lower level with pool/laundry facilities, etc. Attached to downtown shopping mall that one day may be a destination ( not now).

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JOSATCS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect at this Radisson. I'd stay in the mid-90s when it was an appallingly-awful Ramada. The 2 reviews on this site didn't help much.

This hotel is part of a downtown mall which clearly has some struggles. Not much for national chains. However, there is a food court and the fitness club in the mall is available to Radisson guests.

The hotel has clearly had much money invested. So much is new ... hallway carpets, Sleep Number beds, fresh and tasteful hall wallpaper. New furniture and wood panels in the lobby. There's a small Italian restaurant onsite, with more food options in the attached mall. Soft drink/pop and ice machines are on more than one floor.

I stayed for five nights. My room was 2 doubles on the 3rd floor. Tasteful gold and white thin-striped wallpaper throughout. Two very large classic-type pictures on the walls. Bed linen is all white, with a green throw. Wood furniture is definitely good quality, the desk is larger than norm. Two telephones, a 27" tv, and a tall bar fridge came in handy; there's a small grocery store in the mall. Bathroom is average size, and has a new counter and large mirror.

One disappointment. My room had a private balcony with the door sealed shut. There's no window to open. At least the heating/air conditioning has a thermostat.

The pool is open until 11pm. It has a shallow end of 2', and a very deep end. There's a small raised hot-tub in that area. A fitness room had mostly non-working equipment; it's better to go to the mall fitness club. The pool is how you access the courtyard, which has grass, flowers, and several mature trees. My guess is this property was built as a Holiday Inn, then downgrade to a Ramada, before upgrading to Radisson.

There's a free lobby computer with a request to be on it for no more than 15 minutes.

I was especially impressed with maintenance/cleaning staff. They initiated conversations with me. Very pleasant and helpful.

I'd agree that Sudbury downtown does feel a little 'dodgy', but nothing serious. Free parking.

• Liked — Quality furnishings
  • Disliked — No window that opens
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ABtraveller
North London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

We went to Sudbury to visit friends in the area, and the only hotel our travel agent was able to offer us was the Radisson. We were therefore a little concerned as to what we might be getting, however it proved to be pleasant surprise and more than fulfilled our needs.

The room was clean and well appointed, with all the usual features, plus a fridge, and unusual beds which allowed you to set the mattress hardness. A feature that gave us some of the best nights sleep of the whole trip. the hotel has many sports and fitness facilities but we did not use these.

Parking was free but was shared with the attached shopping mall which made it difficult on occasion to park in the main car park due to shoppers using it. the staff were polite and helpful when asked, but did not go out there way for you.

The biggest negative was the hotel restaurant which while not bad was unremarkable, we only had one breakfast out of five there as we found we got better and cheaper at the many local diners and similar in the town center.

So the Radisson did all we want and more but did offer minor disappointments in a couple of areas. I would however happily stay there again the good far exceeded the bad.

• Liked — Fridge in room, specially adjustable beds
  • Disliked — Very average restaurant
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Dagdabear
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2007

I've stayed in other Radissons before, and the hotel suites and rooms
are amazing, however I was not at all impressed with the Sudbury Radisson.

You might want to have a backup planned. I booked a room online on the hotel website five days in advance. I called to double check immediately after, and all was a go. However, when I went to check in, I was told that my reservation had not made it through, and that it had been cancelled. The front desk remained rudely adamant that I had been given forewarning, and so I had to scramble last minute to find another hotel in which to spend the night.

(I commend the staff at Travelway; they will save your trip if ever you are in trouble!)

I received no phone call warning me of the cancellation. When I returned home and checked my email, I found the warning in the form of an email, sent to me THE DAY OF my reservation. I booked for the night of May the 18th, and I was sent an email informing me of a cancellation problem on the afternoon of May the 18th.

It was rather insulting. Be careful. If you stay at the Sudbury Radisson, you might want to confirm your reservations more than once.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank noirecat
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

We spent one night at the Radisson as we were passing through Sudbury (after 3 nights of camping, we were looking mainly for a shower and a bed!). The hotel was a good value for the price. It was clean and well-maintained, though our room had an unsightly stain on the carpet. Our room was located on the 4th floor in the business area. It was secluded and felt dodgy, but we really didn't encounter problems with it. The adjoining shopping mall was convenient.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple