“Deep fried deliciousness!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Sudbury, Canada
“Deep fried deliciousness!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have a slight seafood allergy and am not a fan of nori (seaweed) so I can't comment on the sushi, but the deep fried food at Osaka is fantastic.

The Japanese curry chicken, cheese wontons, tempura everything (mushrooms, sweet potato and my husband loves the shrimp), udon noodle bowls, etc. is fantastic.

I've been a number of times and the service is improving significantly. They now have cards to fill out to order your food which prevents orders being misplaced, etc. And the last time we went the servers were amazing (although it wasn't overly crowded). They picked up our dishes as we finished them, filled up our glasses when they were low (before running out of beverage) and were not pestering us either.

Every time I feel like eating deep fried food this is the place we go.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank KTRWAnderson

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kitchen closed?”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was in Sudbury for business and I am a huge fan of ayce sushi restaurants. I travel the whole province and try one in each town. The food at Osaka I found was very good. The sashimi was fresh the beef teriyaki was great. However, here is my problem.... I entered the restaurant at 9:10 and they close at 10:00. At 9:30 I was told the kitchen was closing at it was last call for food. I completely understood I knownthisnhappens when you get to a place late.
At 9:35 I asked if I could get one more plate of beef teriyaki but was told I couldn't because the kitchen was closed. At 9:45 a table of 4 and at 9:50 a table of 2 came in to eat and miraculously the kitchen had reopened. I guess since it was only going to cost money on me I would no longer be served but for the new people it was no problem.
Will not eat here again. I don't spend my hard earned money to be treated like a second class citizen.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ontbusinesstraveller
Sudbury
“Sushi is good atmosphere is nice. It's a nice place”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I have only been here for lunch. However there was lots to choose from the staff was very nice and the place was clean.

• Visited April 2013
Lively
“Won't Be Back..!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I ate here and won't ever be back. Someone commented on the waitresses being rude. I think their rudeness comes from not understanding the English language all that well. We asked 3 different times what the entree was. The first 2 times she didn't know and the 3rd time made a wrong guess.

Mostly what you get is rice with a miniscule piece of fish. The rice costs only pennies so they're making a big killing on their customers. Oh, and the place was filthy. First thing we noticed was how slippery the floor was from oil or something. Felt like I needed a long, hot shower after leaving.

I was suspicious so decided to do a "google" search on them. Holy $hit did they ever have a lot of health violations in the past year. I think the Public Health Agency needs to have an agent there 24/7 to keep an eye on them as it appears the Osaka staff goes right back to violating as soon as they leave. Remember; e coli is tasteless so you won't know you're getting food poisoned while your dining.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank dann390
Sudbury, Canada
“Big improvement! Good sushi dig!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Well we have not been here for a while and dropped in recently to see a nicely renovated restaurant with Asian modern ambience and better service. The menu is about the same with a large variety but there is real sushi rice with good delicious rolls except for their Dynamite roll which needs more salmon and less if those terrible crumbs... Spicy salmon roll is also not too tasty with too little fish and flavour! Otherwise most items were good and tasty! Prices too high for dinner buffets unless you have a big appetite.