“BEWARE of getting bumped from your room (Bait & Switch)”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked my room at this hotel for my self and 2 travel buddies (1 room with 3 separate beds) directly over the phone and receiving a confirmation # from the reservation agent 3 days before leaving for our road trip. The night before our arrival in Sudbury I received a call from the manager stating that the room is no longer available and they would need to move us to their sister hotel next door - "Whaaat?" I have a confirmation # and my VISA to hold it?

* This is where it gets SCAMMY! It turns out that the family that owns this hotel also owns the "Sudbury Fireside Imperial Inn" next door which is a super old motel with outdated fixtures and furniture - just Slummy

The manager offers us a room in that hotel with 2 beds and a pull out to compensate for the "mix-up" for no extra charge. Oh Really? Going from a room with 3 full beds at a somewhat renovated hotel to a crumby hotel with 2 beds and a pull out at no extra charge - WOW!!!

They now have my VISA and I cannot cancel the "reservation" because I am inside the 24 hours before we were to arrive at the hotel where they didn't book the room anyway????

Here is what my buddies and I figured happened. We booked one night for the 3 bed room and then the hotel gets someone who wants that room (they only have one) and will take it for 2 or 3 nights $$$. We get bumped to the crappy hotel and they give our room to the roadworkers that were in it.

Needless to say - we had a CRUMBY sleep and I was the one who got stuck on a pull out bed in a room directly above the main office that stunk of smoke and old chinese food.

STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Go to the other side of Sudbury - these people are SCAMMERS
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jay W
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Valued Customer, we are very much regret to write down that you are not happy with our hospitality and management. We are very sorry about that but we also like to draw your kind attention towards the whole situation mentioned as under;

A day (24 hours) before, we called you to make you familiar about the three beds room and your reservation of the same and left voice message (as we informed a room you booked is not available due to under some circumstances and @ that time you have right to cancel the room without any charges – which you could not..).

On the day of your reservation you called and we again told you the same story about your booked room and moving to another property of room with couch, YOU AGREED FOR THAT TRANSFER..

When you guys come to check in, first thing you did asked to check room and we SHOWED you room and then you checked inn, at this moment you can also refuse to check in with the same reasons you mentioned later in your review..

WHAT THE WAY YOU TRIED TO ANALYSE SOME ONE IS SOMETHING I CAN SAY BETTER FIRST WE SEE OURSELVES IN A MIRROR AND THEN POINTING SOMEONE, WHICH IS STILL NOT WORTH TO DO.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was a bit apprehensive after reading all the negative reviews. But took a chance with them...and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were huge! Reasonably well kept. And for the price of under 100$ a night, it was a steal!

I think if you want top class accommodation you should shell out thrice the amount and try the brand names. If you like me wanted to save some money to spend on the trip/restaurants and merely needed somewhere to sleep; this is an absolute delight.

A NOTE OF WARNING: I reserved my hotel via Sudbury tourism website (since I wanted to see Science North too). If you do that too make sure the hotel has received the PAYMENT and not only BOOKING information. It seems Sudbury Tourism and Sudbury Inn have some communication issues. Since even though I had paid full amount a month back to Subdury Tourism the hotel did not honor the payment and asked me to pay to be let in. They had information of my booking but no payment. I had no choice with whole family with me and it being Sunday. The reception at hotel was not too helpful either (they didn't even have information about Sudbury Tourism). This trouble was sorted right away next morning when I called Sudbury tourism and they refunded me the hotel portion of the payment. They explained the hotel is responsible to reach out to them and invoice the hotel amount (with Sudbury aparently didnt) and they will issue payment to them. I don't care whose fault it was, I just didn't want the drama and worry. (Plus shelling out LongDistance/Roaming charges on my phone to call Sudbury tourism).

Room Tip: Choose one with view of the Nickel at Dynamic earth (Room at the building at the end). They have mor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Looks like a school hallway in the hallways, but the room are spacious and the beds are comfortable. AC works great and the bathrooms were clean and stocked with all our needs. Only problem is the lack of unused power plugs (only one that wasn't being used by either the fridge, AC, lights or tv).

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you are not looking for a fancy place to stay and just need a place to lay your head and a quick breakfast, this hotel was fine. The rooms have been renovated and are clean and nicely appointed. Beds were comfortable. Some work still required in the bathrooms - a hook and a shelf to place toiletries on would be nice. Also, the hot water was a little iffy. Breakfast was typical. Service was polite and friendly. Had a surprise when lifted the blind and saw the big nickel on the hill behind the hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

On check-in, I had to repeat over and over to slow down the speed of their speech as their accent was thick and virtually illegible. The directions to the room were misunderstood because of this and we had to return to the desk twice and I said, "SEND SOMEONE WITH US. I TOLD you, I'm tired and very ill and need to lay down. They were generally polite but didn't follow my requests very well. The hallways in the back section where we stayed were filthy, not mopped, looked like there was piss and puke in the stairway and had an odor. The garbage can was jammed inside and outside. The room was much better and was clean and had four nice big pillows per bed. It stayed quiet throughout the night and the bed was comfortable. Service was fair overall.

Room Tip: Don't judge the rooms by the state of the hallways or you'll be leaving pronto. There are be...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Sudbury in and were pleased with the room. It had a flatscreen TV and the room was nice and clean. However, the bathroom was old. I believe it would better the motel if they decided on renovating them. That was our only issue there. We still recommend coming here for it gave us a nice rest.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a business trip, pretty much picked this one by random. A few things that needs improvement is kinda under renovation so there were some noise but not even close to unacceptable level. The place is a little old so yes water was leaking on the ceiling but so far only limited to hallway only. Only 1 real problem is that that place is like a maze, i think is because they are combining 2 buildings together. Other then that, price is fair, staff are nice, room is clean and I was in their regular room instead of the premium room so i would assume even better room if i picked premium. Honestly speaking the price that they are charging if you are expecting like comfort inn or holiday inn, you are an idiot but they ARE better then average motels.

• Stayed: May 2013
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for posting a review. We will be using the feedback given to implement improvements to ensure a better experience for guests in the future. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the building and others. We are so grateful for your kind words about our hotel and our staff member.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Sudbury.
With Hospitality,