“Not a good experience”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Sudbury
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel was freezing cold!!! There was no hot water unless you ran it for 5 minutes prior to using it. The bathroom was decent but the floor was ceramic tile and freezing as well. I wasn't that comfortable with the level of cleanliness in the room overall. Don't take any restaurant recommendations from the desk! They must have an inner circle who tries to promote one and other. Nibblers Pizza was the best he said and the food was so bad it made my son sick!!! It was terrible! There is a lot of Indian food being prepared in this pizza place because all the food tasted like stale air from an Indian restaurant! I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick one elsewhere!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DeannaGe
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thanks for your time to share your PERSONAL experience for staying with us. In respect to your personal opinion we are here to make some proper justification from our end to make it more crystal clear.
1, Hotel walkway might be you feel cold (Now a day temperature in Sudbury is around -25 to -30 ‘C) but not room because it is our policy to turn on the heater prior to customer check in. (Check in time after 3.00 pm).

2, It is understood that to get hot water @ temperature -25 to -30 will take a while and it is only in such severe cold weather.

3, We proud to say that our cleanliness quality is very good and we take care our property very personally as we are just like customer. We have no complaint or any reason from your end at the time of your stay about cleanliness.

4, We always give suggestions or information to our valued customers in reference to other customer’s own personal experience. It does not mean we have some kind of affiliation with any kind of business. We just try to help customer what we know and other customer shared their view of experience with local restaurant during their stay.

5, It is clearly showed that what you trying to pointing on particular restaurant or nationality is seems like very personal opinion by any reason from your end.

We are the new management at this property and trying our level best to make customer stay satisfied by having our continuous effort for better quality of cleanliness, environment and reputation.
We once again thanks for your PERSONAL opinion and wish next time you are in Sudbury, come and stay at our motel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Windsor ON
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was my second stay here and my stay was for 3 weeks. I like this place because of the value and the quietness. It is not the cheapest place in Sudbury but you are getting a nicely furnished room that is kept quiet clean, cheaper then other deluxe accommodations. For the most part, with the temperature conditioner fan on, the room was quiet; some banging from the other room doors but no street noise. The Sudbury Inn is owned and run by the same people who own the Imperial Fireside Inn ( Jay and his wife), who have built up a reputation of taking care of their customers. They are trying to do the same with this inn but sometimes his front desk staff don't understand their philosophy; therefore I recommend dealing with Jay if you have any problems or requests.
P.S. During my lengthy stay I had no problems with bedbugs or any other type of bugs.

Room Tip: Rooms beside the stairwell way be noisier then other rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TropicalSerenity
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review on our property. We appreciate, to share your wonderful experience with our hotels. We are so glad that you enjoyed your another stay with us and look forward from you to stay again. We are trying our best (newly purchased – “Sudbury Inn”) to bring @ same reputation as of “Imperial Fireside Inn” and are pretty sure a day will come very soon. We sincerely apology for little misunderstanding with our front desk operator but we have no doubt about the way of taking care of our valued customer like you.
We wish to see you again and make you experience the best hospitality moments.
Jay
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2012

You can obviously tell this place was renovated. Looks like all non-smoking rooms have been updated with modern colours, very clean, smelled great.

All in all, nice place to stay for the price, nicer rooms then most larger hotel chains, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I don't think the "smoking" rooms have been renovated. I could be wrong though.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at our hotel. It is our pleasure to have you always as our valued guest.
Jay
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our second stay at this motel. Both times the rooms were clean and nicely renovated. Check in and out was easy and the owner was friendly. I do agree with another visitor's comments about the entry points from the parking lot - there should be some additional access points. We'll be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you so much!! We are very glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at "Sudbury Inn" and hope you travel again Sudbury soon and be sure to call ahead to reserve a room for you.
Once again, Thank you for writing a review for our motel!
With Hospitality,
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a non-smoker but they tried to fine me for smoking. Owners are awful miserable people, tried to barge into my room when I was behind them. When i turned the sheets back I found sand and other debris there and thought there were bedbugs, but it turned out it was just filthy.
This was a room rented by my company for me, I will tell them to take their business elsewhere.
These people should be ashamed and give themselves a shake. Very disrespectful.
The only positive was that their housekeeping staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: never ever stay there
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michaela H
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
First of all what ever customer opinion was 100% aligation to us and our policy and here are the truth thing what we need to let others;

1, Room rented to him is newly 100% renovated Non-smoking and there are couple of signed mentioning it is non-smoking room
2, We found day after his complained of dust on bed, personally checked by the GM and found the dirt through his working boot every where in room and broomed by us personally. At the same time found a wax stick of air freshner in his room which is obviously not required in Non-smoking (2 month before 100% renovated room) room.
3, Same day evening we called him and come to us with a paper and started giving us explanation that I am on doctor prescription to take ......, which we have not asked for anything.
4, While we asked him about that airfreshner in his room, I never somke in room and smoking outside.
5, Next day morning at 11.15am (11.00 checkout time) knocked his room by our Housekeepr to as uslal to clean room and no one respond untill her 4-5 knocking, then after she opened the door and the guy was literally smoking around the room. She reported to the fornt desk manager right away and we went to inquire his room (suppose to checkout by 11.00 o'clock)
6, On our inquiery, have been proved and showed by my house keeper was smoking inside the room, instead of feeling guilty scraming on motel lady owner and started using bad waords and at this point his co-worker also tried to keep on telling his behave your self and this is not way to discuss with Lady Owner.
7, When my house keeper was doing his room as the left found CIGARETTE ASHES ALL AROUND IN THE WASHROOM.
8, We don't understand still what and how much we have to tolerate even after comitting mistake or violation of hotel / motel policy.
9, It is strictly not allow to smoke in non-smoking room and now we have to initiate legal action with all our PROOF and let such a kind people understand or to realise that it is not necessary that waht they want at where at however is possible to do. Absolutley not.
Georgetown
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Usually, I drive all over the Ontario IN RESPECT TO NATURE OF MY BUSINESS. Due to this, frequently staying in flag or non-flag hotel/motel. During my last visit of Sudbury, I booked a room with Sudbury inn and quite impressed with their complete renovated modern room as it shown on Internet. I was very pleased through out to check inn up to checkout. Room is very well furnished known as "premium Room" and comfortable bedding too. I was little worried about recent review but i could not have such problem. Thanks for having me such a nice room with great hospitality and back again on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for one night. The room was very nice and had recently been remodelled. The biggest problem with this place is the stairs. If you have any mobility problems would not recommend this place. There are several steps to get to the rooms if you are on the main floor and entry (with card) can only be done at one door regardless of where your room is. They need to provide additional entry points (with card). The hallways were like a steam room. Luckily the AC in the room worked fine. Have stayed at much better places.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family