“Accused of Smoking”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a non-smoker but they tried to fine me for smoking. Owners are awful miserable people, tried to barge into my room when I was behind them. When i turned the sheets back I found sand and other debris there and thought there were bedbugs, but it turned out it was just filthy.
This was a room rented by my company for me, I will tell them to take their business elsewhere.
These people should be ashamed and give themselves a shake. Very disrespectful.
The only positive was that their housekeeping staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: never ever stay there
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michaela H
Jay M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

First of all what ever customer opinion was 100% aligation to us and our policy and here are the truth thing what we need to let others;

1, Room rented to him is newly 100% renovated Non-smoking and there are couple of signed mentioning it is non-smoking room
2, We found day after his complained of dust on bed, personally checked by the GM and found the dirt through his working boot every where in room and broomed by us personally. At the same time found a wax stick of air freshner in his room which is obviously not required in Non-smoking (2 month before 100% renovated room) room.
3, Same day evening we called him and come to us with a paper and started giving us explanation that I am on doctor prescription to take ......, which we have not asked for anything.
4, While we asked him about that airfreshner in his room, I never somke in room and smoking outside.
5, Next day morning at 11.15am (11.00 checkout time) knocked his room by our Housekeepr to as uslal to clean room and no one respond untill her 4-5 knocking, then after she opened the door and the guy was literally smoking around the room. She reported to the fornt desk manager right away and we went to inquire his room (suppose to checkout by 11.00 o'clock)
6, On our inquiery, have been proved and showed by my house keeper was smoking inside the room, instead of feeling guilty scraming on motel lady owner and started using bad waords and at this point his co-worker also tried to keep on telling his behave your self and this is not way to discuss with Lady Owner.
7, When my house keeper was doing his room as the left found CIGARETTE ASHES ALL AROUND IN THE WASHROOM.
8, We don't understand still what and how much we have to tolerate even after comitting mistake or violation of hotel / motel policy.
9, It is strictly not allow to smoke in non-smoking room and now we have to initiate legal action with all our PROOF and let such a kind people understand or to realise that it is not necessary that waht they want at where at however is possible to do. Absolutley not.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Usually, I drive all over the Ontario IN RESPECT TO NATURE OF MY BUSINESS. Due to this, frequently staying in flag or non-flag hotel/motel. During my last visit of Sudbury, I booked a room with Sudbury inn and quite impressed with their complete renovated modern room as it shown on Internet. I was very pleased through out to check inn up to checkout. Room is very well furnished known as "premium Room" and comfortable bedding too. I was little worried about recent review but i could not have such problem. Thanks for having me such a nice room with great hospitality and back again on my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for one night. The room was very nice and had recently been remodelled. The biggest problem with this place is the stairs. If you have any mobility problems would not recommend this place. There are several steps to get to the rooms if you are on the main floor and entry (with card) can only be done at one door regardless of where your room is. They need to provide additional entry points (with card). The hallways were like a steam room. Luckily the AC in the room worked fine. Have stayed at much better places.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

THERE ARE BED BUGS IN THE ROOM I STAYED IN> AND TO TOP IT IFF THEY DENIED IT TO ME AND NEVER INFORMED ME WHILE I STAYED THERE> NEVER GO TO SUDBURY INN....willbe staying at anoth motel next time i am in sudbury....was clean for housekeeping and very friendly housekeepers but the rooms seriousley need to be done or it will just get worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank ohya2012
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Found most hotels in Sudbury to be kind of expensive for a Sunday night. Initially called the Imperial Fireside inn next door but they were full. As luck would have it the Sudbury Inn have the same owners so the lady at Imperial Fireside just booked me and my party at their property next door and even gave us an extra $10 off each room. Rooms were pretty spacious and beds were clean and comfy and had lots of pillows. AC worked great, flat screen TV. Internet was good speed too. Would likely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

I wound up here because my normal haunt. The Best Western downtown was fully booked( as were most of the properties that are newer). It looks like this place was purchased by the same folks who own the fireside. They are in the process of overhauling it. I stayed in a newly renovated room which was complete with new laminate flooring, new bathroom, new bed, desk and flat panel tv. In short, a total surprise. New owners seem very eager to please. They explained that they are trying to get the whole hotel renovated. That also means that there are some old rooms at the back that need to be avoided. If you can get a renovated room it's pretty hard to find better for the money. As word gets out about this place I'm sure it will start to fill up as it's much cleaner and nicer inside the rooms than the national discount chains in Sudbury.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The room had 2 double beds with comfy pillow and a fluffy comforter. They were only about 15 minutes away from the hospital. Quiet, although we were there on a Monday night.
Free internet.
Coffee maker, fridge and microwave.
Air conditioner

Room Tip: Industrial by day, quiet at night. Makes for a nice nights sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo