“I'm Conflicted”

TownePlace Suites Sudbury
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed June 14, 2011

New. Clean. Friendly people. Next to a great restaurant that offered a 10% discount. But...the internet kept crashing, they blew the wakeup call two days in a row and the free breakfast was positively spartan. Also, if you get an even numbered room, you deal with mining trucks down-shifting outside starting EARLY.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Layover

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We arrived in Sudbury for the OFSAA Track and Field Championships in early June, 2011. Warm welcome from front desk staff, with fast and courteous check-in. Room was very clean and kitchenette well equipped for snack and simple meal preparation. Excellent shower with large showerhead high enough that tall people can shower comfortably!!! Quiet hotel - we all had a restful night. Complimentary breakfast in the breakfast/lounge area was well stocked with sufficient seating.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The hotel features well equipped suites with well equipped kitchen. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our swim team travelled to Sudbury in the past weekend to attend a swim meet hosted in Laurentian University. I am so glad that we had selected this hotel to stay.

Our room was spacious and modern. The beds were very comfortable. The fully equipped kitchen was so convenient as I could prepare dinners right there. It not only saved me some money but also times , so that my kids could have more time to rest. The internet connection is fast (just like at home).

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. They made special arrangement to start the breakfast an hour earlier so that our swimmers could have enough time to eat before heading to the pool. Towneplace will definitely be our first choice of hotels for next time we travel to Sudbury.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JY_Happy_Traveler
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I travel to Sudbury on business every month or so.  Normally I stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites.  Unfortunately I booked at the last minute on my most recent visit and could not get into the Fairfield Inn.

Due to my excellent experiences at the Fairfield Inn and Suites I decided to try the Towneplace Suites assuming that all Marriott’s would offer a similar experience.  Boy was I wrong!

I checked in fairly late in the evening and I carried my laptop and luggage in with me because I had to park far away from the door and did not want to make two trips.  When I got to the door it was locked. I looked in and saw nobody at the desk.  After looking around I realized that the unmarked button at the door was a doorbell.  Only after I pressed it and waited a few moments was I greeted by an employee.  Once checked in, I boarded the elevator and experienced a jerky ride up to the fifth floor.  I have to admit that I was actually quite relieved to exit the elevator.

When I finally got to my room the key card would not work in my door.
Slightly deflated I got back in the “scary” elevator, with all my belongings and went back down to the desk to be greeted with "Your key didn't work?, I didn't think it would." from the employee at the desk.

The employee made me another key and let me know he would gladly help me if my key card didn't work this time by making yet another one.  I once again loaded up all my gear and humped my way back up to the room.  Fortunately the key worked this time.  When I entered the room it was pitch black, I fumbled around to find a light switch.  I almost wished I hadn't found it.  On the left there was a kitchen type area with some grungy looking pot holder thing with a coffee stain on it.  I went into the bathroom, lifted the lid to the commode and discovered a hair of the short and curly variety on the seat and it looked like the toilet had not been cleaned.

Next I pulled the sheets back in the bed and was relieved that they appeared clean.  When I got into bed I felt something rough against my foot. I got out of the bed and pulled the blankets back from the bottom and discovered that they had a queen size mattress pad on a king sized bed.

In the morning I decided to take the stairs down to unload my gear because I was less tired and a little more clear headed, and there was no way I was getting back on that elevator. I was going to try the breakfast, however it looked picked over so I grabbed a coffee and got on the road.

Lesson learned. The next time I am in Sudbury I will book in enough time to stay at the Fairfield Inn.

1  Thank Saultcrew
AbhayBhargava, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sudbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your most recent stay at TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Sudbury, ON. As the General Manager, guest comments are invaluable to me.
I would like to offer my apologies for your accommodations experience. Exceptional service is what we strive for here at TownePlace Suites Sudbury and it is always my priority to ensure our guests’ needs are met and satisfied. Your valuable information has been communicated to our concerned team members to ensure that this is prevented in the future.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to display to you our usually high service and not allow this occurrence to deter you from returning to TownePlace Suites on your next visit to Sudbury. Once again thank you for taking the time to articulate details of your stay.

Abhay Bhargava
TownePlace Suites by Marriott, Sudbury,ON

Reviewed April 2, 2011

I travel to Sudbury two or three times a month for business. I have stayed at at both of the Hilton properties on the South end and they do not touch this hotel on any factor. (Granted, I am loyal to Marriott 'til the bitter end...) I have stayed in nearly 100 Marriott hotels in the last 2 years and this is one of my favourite select-service hotels.

The rooms are gorgeous, very modern and chic with granite countertops in the full kitchens and bathrooms. Very modern technology including the in room TV and telephone and a very neat guest room directory which makes it very easy to find local restaurants. (Try MIC -Made in Canada, right next door, you can also order from the restaurant in the hotels lobby lounge bar) Free high-speed wireless in the entire hotel.

The staff, especially Brandi at the bar and the Front Desk Agents are consistently some of the finest staff I have come across. Very relaxed and make you feel like you're right where you belong- you can tell it isn't fake and they haven't yet been worn down by negative customers.

The Fairfield Inn by Marriott down the street is also a good choice although almost always at full capacity. I am sure this hotel will be soon once word gets out on it. There is also a two story waterslide and pool for families.

If you are looking for a great, consistent hotel in Sudbury, look no further.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

I occasionally travel to Sudbury on business and usually stay at the Fairfield Inn Marriott but now that I tried Towneplace (also a Marriott property), I don't think I'll be going back. This place is beautifully decorated.. everything is sleek and modern. The rooms are spacious with gorgeous new kitchens and granite counters. I was only staying a few days and did not use the kitchen but it was certainly pretty to look at.
The complimentary breakfast is the typical free breakfast you usually get at the chain "express" hotels. For such a nice hotel, I do wish that it had a full-service restaurant with more breakfast options.