“Very Friendly Staff, but Little Else”

Travelodge Hotel Sudbury
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Penetang
“Very Friendly Staff, but Little Else”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

First and foremost I must say that the only thing that made this place tolerable was the super friendly and helpful staff at the hotel and in the attached Perkin's Restaurant. The rooms are dated. The gold bedspread had a cigarette burn in it, in a non-smoking room. The once white tile grout in the bathtub/shower was black and resembled mold. In various spots repairs were attempted with yellow filler. The deadbolt on the door was busted right off. The dog barking next door kept me awake most of the night and the hard bed and "dollar store" pillows contributed to my restless night. The pool was a nice temperature but the hot tub was cold. Overall, not a good bang for your buck. there are cheaper and more modern facitlities to be had in Subbury and beware that this hotel allows dogs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ontario
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We were travelling with our FOUR teenagers, so we booked two rooms online, but I forgot to request that the rooms be either attached or at least beside each other. I emailed the hotel immediately after booking to explain our needs, but didn't receive a reply, so we were a little concerned when we got to the hotel that the kids' room might not be near ours.

No worries! The staff immediately told us that they did get the email but because it was forwarded to them through Travelodge's email system, they didn't have a reply address for us. Staff were friendly and very helpful for our entire stay.

The rooms were fine, everything worked and the beds were comfortable. My only complaint (and it's minor) is that the doors tend to slam shut, and the noise echoes down the halls.'

Having a Perkins Restaurant attached to the hotel was convenient, the food was ample and quite good for being a chain place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
New York NY
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I was visiting Sudbury for a conference and was recommended this hotel by a colleague. I was pleasantly surprised with the spacious rooms and amenities received. Coming from New York, I had a very large room with a king sized bed, which looked to be newly renovated. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with any requests I had. I ate at the on-site restaurant, Perkins, which I frequent at home, and found the quality of the food and ambience to be similar to the great experience I'm used to. I was enchanted with the local attractions - I was able to visit both Science North and Dynamic Earth. I would visit this area again in the future with my family - and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank NewYorker4273
Fort Frances, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2009

This hotel is not value for money, outdated, flowered carpet, yellow walls, 70's lighting, coffee maker and ice bucket in the bathroom?? (where people do private bodily business) maintenance work sub standard, pool and whirlpool stinks cloudy, had to keep blackout curtain closed as there was no secondary curtain so to keep people from looking into room. A Perkins restaurant not part of the hotel food was not good. The so called (falsely advertised) high speed internet is actually snail speed internet.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank onechef

Travelers are raving about these Sudbury hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2009

I booked and then cancelled a room at Sudbury Travelodge for March 27, 28, 2009. I was told by a rude gentleman named Mike that he could not guarantee a non pet room. He said "People are always yelling at him about allowing pets or not allowing pets... and I would get what I get". I phoned back again this afternoon, explained the situation to a different gentleman and received the same attitude. I find it hard to believe that a major hotel chain has not emerged from the 1970's and does not cater to persons with allergies. I have just talked to the staff at Holiday Inn Sudbury and they can accommodate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KandKOntario
Ottawa
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed at the Travelodge Sudbury for 4 consecutive nights and received a total of approximately 20 hours sleep! The walls of the room appeared to be paper thin allowing every little sound both inside and outside to be heard. As luck would have it, my room was located directly across from one of the stairwells and the traffic through the stairwell door was unbelievable!! A steady stream that continued until about 12:30am and began again around 5:30am! Slam....slam....slam!!!! I contacted the staff on the first night in an effort to change rooms. However, this apparently could not be accommodated. To top it off, this hotel allows pets on the first floor so you can expect also to hear barking dogs! I will never stay here again and am going home to rest!

• Disliked — paper thin walls and banging stairwell doors ALL night long!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Linda22222
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Drove into Sudbury without reservations, after dark, in the pouring rain and as this was the first accommodation we encountered, we took it. Decided to have dinner at the attached Perkins before going up to the room as it was approaching 9 p.m. and we didn't know how long the restaurant would remain open. That proved to be a wise decision as we were the next to last customers seated and the staff started sweeping up by the time our food came. (I won't go into how I feel about this practice here, but needless to say it did not add to the dining experience.) When the check came, we were able to put the bill on the room tab which was appreciated.

Our king room was more than satisfactory with a chair & ottoman, a great desk, room fridge, iron & ironing board, hair dryer, and coffee maker. My only complaint would be that with only two table lamps and a small desk lamp, the room was fairly dark. The bed was comfy and the pillows fluffy.

Although I realize that Sudbury is an oasis in the middle of the northwoods, I still believe that their rooms are priced a bit high when one considers that this facility offers no complementary breakfast option. Got off to an early start the next morning, stopping for breakfast a couple of miles down the road before heading out to Trans Canadian Route 17.

• Liked — The comfy bed
  • Disliked — Priced rather high with no complimentary/reduced fare breakfast option
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple