“Just stay away”

Travelodge Hotel Sudbury
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Hockey team trip, A 500$ worst weekend experience having to deal with staff, mouldy bathroom, uncomfortable bed, no lounge for adults to get together for drinks, kids were allowed in hallways until nine pm, cold shower unless you where first up which includes entire hotel, some staff were unhappy, power trip security was unreasonable, as a team of 15 parents we decided not to book any more travel lodges. But one thing impressed me was their cleaning staff where friendly, thorough and trustworthy, ex. I intentional left 20$ on the table to return to it. Props to the cleaning staff only. An experience of just stay away to save your self the headache.

Room Tip: Rooms of Just stay away
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

We host several sports teams here at The Travelodge Hotel Sudbury. It is a careful balance in providing our teams with what they need and ensuring our other guests are comfortable as well. This is the reason so many of our teams return to us time and time again. I am disappointed that you feel you and your team were not provided with the same quality of service. On a positive note, thank you for your comments regarding our housekeeping staff. I will certainly pass on the positive feedback.

There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Sudbury

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Needed to stay close to Sudbury hospital while my daughter was undergoing surgery. The staff were very accommodating and pleasant starting when I called to make the reservation and when I needed to extend my stay. Will definitely stay again. Great location and amenities

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cheryl D

Thanks for sharing your feedback and we are delighted we were able to accommodate you. I sincerely hope your daughter is on the mend. See you again soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel Was DISGUSTING! We entered with our baby to a lobby full of intoxicated guests. Bed Bugs were found in my fathers room (he was there receiving radiation for cancer) and my daughter and mother were both bitten by said vermin and the Executive House Keeper there told us my daughter was not bitten by a bed bug, she also said she should know she's from Mexico. There was a hair from down under found on the lamp shade in the room I was sleeping in with my infant and the shower we never used had hair in it. There were also intoxicated people staggering down the halls, elevators and stairwells. Not to mention they had "Security" patrolling and they did nothing of the inebriated guests swerving up and down the halls. I've read previous reviews and know the Staff will tell you TravelLodge doesn't always cater to everyones tastes or needs, but they should cater to someones especially people travelling with families. There was a hockey tournament going on and the hotel staff had no disregard for the children being subjected to the partying guest roaming around. The sheer fact that we were talked to like we knew nothing was disgraceful, they apparently know everything about bedbugs( seeing as they've been battling them for a while now). The Spiel that falls out of the staffs mouth about their being trained in bed bugs writhers into a dark corner like snakes. I would never ask anyone to stay here especially if you have children! Don't waste your money on the TravelLodge in Sudbury!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mezhakwat M
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Mezhakwat M. We take any bed bug complaint very seriously and take every step necessary to resolve the issue. As requested, I have sent you the report from Orkin Canada clearly stating that neither your room nor your father’s room presented with any signs of bed bugs. I have also sent you information on how to identify bed bugs so that you too can be informed. Should you have the doctor’s note that I requested, please send it to me. I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

From booking on I should have guessed to go elsewhere. Their group rate is more than I can book online for!
The staff at the front counter made me seem like I was bothering them by checking in.
The pool area should be marked as under construction!
The pool will leave you with a very strong chemical smell on you!
There was a certain ugly smell thru some of the hallways.
I then went up to my room with my kids and listened to security or whatever you might call a young person wearing a vest argue with parents in the hall about drinking in their rooms and not to bug other guest which I was. The people were not a problem until this security showed up as I already had two young kids in bed sleeping no problem.
Trust me when I say do not stay here when you are planning any type of team event nor want customer service based on what I heard in the hallway.
If I was not reminded twice about their 48 hour cancelation policy I would definitely go elsewhere as I do not lie giving money were it is not appreciated.
Please be aware that the staff have all of the token policy based lines at I swear read off cue cards and some was true while other comments were a young person under pressure cracking.

To the GM that likes to respond to these complaints I do not want a response nor will I respond to one as I feel your answers are very stock and robot like and generally not listening to the complaints.
I will choose to spend my hotel dollars elsewhere as I have in my previous visits to Sudbury.

Good luck if you book here and consider yourself warned.

Trust me when I say go to the next listing online.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Oh Warren – how can I not respond?? At the risk of sounding robot like, the reason I like to respond to comments is to show our guests that we appreciate all feedback, good or bad and to help our online community understand some of the workings of a hotel. So let’s start with the obvious. Hotel rates are based on the very basic economic principle of supply and demand. I can guarantee that you would not have been able to book your room type at a lesser price online. I can also guarantee that if you ever find a less expensive price online, we are more than happy to not only match that rate, but remove any of the online restrictions attached to reservation that way. The signs regarding renovations to the pool have been posted throughout the hotel since the beginning of December. The work is almost complete and it looks fabulous. Considering the amount of kids in the hotel while you were here, we didn’t think it wise to close it but rather ensure that the area was safe and that our guests could enjoy it. The person wearing the vest was indeed security. He is a licensed, experienced security guard. We do find it necessary to have security in the hotel to provide a safe, comfortable stay for all our guests. As I am sure you can appreciate, guests expect a quiet, restful night. There are times when we must take appropriate action to make sure that happens. Security was responding to several complaints from a room in your area. I am certain that if you had a complaint about a noisy guest, you would expect security to respond as well. After speaking with a number of our guests, including some of your team members, the security presence was appreciated and affective. I am disappointed Warren that your stay with us was not what it should have been. It is certainly not the experience we like to deliver. I trust this reply was not too stock for you. Should you wish to discuss, please contact me directly.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. I always get the king suite. Room is always clean, bed and pillows are comfortable, flat screen TV and free wifi allows me to hook up my Xbox 360 and enjoy one of my favourite hobbies. The pool and hot tub are as close to paradise you're going to get for their low prices and great deals. I always stay at this hotel for all my business and pleasure trips.

Room Tip: Ask for the Deluxe King Jacuzzi Suite. Epic room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hi Mark. If we had a favorite guest list, you’d be on it! Thank you for staying with us time and time again. Your repeat visits prove that we are doing something right. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and recommendation with our on-line community. We’re looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel numerous times and never been disappointed. They have tried to give us the room we ask for when possible. The substitute was also very good. Recent renos to units
have been excellent, especially the bathrooms. New carpeting is also very nice. We love the size of the pool and the hours are lovely. Having an onsite restaurant is a plus. Location of hotel is very convenient for us because of family. We will staying there again in the near future.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny, higher floors are better
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Harry and Jeannine! Thank you for coming back and thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and I am delighted that the renovations are to your liking. We do indeed do our best to accommodate all requests. If you’re happy – we’re happy! We’ll see you soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I have to admit I wasn't expecting a lot. Hotel rooms were hard to find as it was OFSAA weekend. I paid more for my room than I have for a night at the Weston Harbour Castle in Toronto, but the room was clean, warm and comfortable, and as I was traveling alone with three children, that was fine. What stood out for me was the service. It was a very busy night, and my request for an extra pillow and blanket was forgotten. Not a major deal in the grand scheme of things, but it did make my night with two small children in my bed restless. When I expressed my concern as I was checking out, my complaint was taken seriously and courteously. I really just wanted someone to hear me out, and they went above and beyond. Very nice and very kind to the weary travellor. Overall, I would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013

Hi there Cindapedia. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Although the OFSAA weekend was a busy one, I am sorry that your extra pillow and blanket were forgotten. Your comments have served as a training tool to ensure that all guests’ requests are delivered. I will certainly share your kind words regarding the service you received with our team. Thank you for your feedback and your recommendation. We hope to see you again soon.