“Not informed of 50% off Second Night”

Travelodge Hotel Sudbury
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Sudbury
Carling Township RR 1 Nobel ON CA
“Not informed of 50% off Second Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed 2 nights recently. Upon checking out I saw a brochure for a second night at 50% off. I was told I did not qualify as I had booked on-line. The deal had to be booked on a different on-line site. Very concerned that I was not told on the hotel website or at registration that I qualified for the deal. Felt this was an oversight regarding full disclosure and a lack of transparency. No adjustment offered.
Very nice place to stay nevertheless.

Room Tip: If you book on-line, phone and ask if it was the best deal available.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi there Paddler14 – thanks for sharing your feedback. I can certainly understand your frustration. With all the different ways to reserve a hotel room and all the various “deals” that are offered, it can be very confusing. Some sites have various conditions, while others require advance payment with strict restrictions. I can share with you that calling the hotel directly is often the most convenient and reliable way to make reservations. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Gynette Cousineau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived at the Travelodge exhausted after an 8 hour drive. We were given a room that had nothing going for it- stained couch and carpet, big wet spot on the carpet around the mini-fridge (that was sitting right on the carpet with a microwave right on top of it!), very banged up furniture. There were cobwebs on the window and dust on the side table. Honestly it looked like bedbug heaven and my gut reaction was to leave and go elsewhere, but we were exhausted and had to get ready for a funeral the next day. I told my child to leave their shoes on, covered the couch in towels, didn't let any luggage touch the floor and slept fully clothed. Despite this he still got bites that were diagnosed as bedbugs. When this was brought to the attention of the staff they seemed to have absolutely no idea what bedbugs were or how to manage it.

To add insult to injury when we were leaving we actually got to peak into another room, that looked just fine! I am not sure what we did on check in to get this grungy room. It definitely made a sad weekend even more depressing. Since returning home my child has told everyone that this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in (which is true and we travel a lot!).

The only thing that earned this hotel one star was the pool which was quite nice (despite that you could not access it by stairs as they were "under construction, and their were no towels provided in the pool area).

Having generally found Travelodge a good reliable basic hotel over the years, this one fell way below the mark. Of note there were signs all over advertising for people staying in town for medical care since the hospital is across the street- this is the last place on earth I would want to stay if not feeling well!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tierrasierra
Hello again TierraSierra. I am disappointed to hear about your experience with us, especially during such a difficult time. That is certainly not the quality of service we like to provide. Like all hotels, we take any claim of bed bugs very seriously. We have a number of staff who are trained and certified on how to identify signs of bed bugs. We are very well versed on what they are and how to manage them. As explained to you, your room was thoroughly inspected by a professional pest control service and no evidence of bed bugs was found. The condition of the carpet was indeed unpleasant and I am happy to say that all guest room carpets are currently being replaced. Thank you for sharing your comments and allowing us the opportunity to inform our on-line community that we are bed bug free and that we are excited about our fresh new look.
Gynette Cousineau

Travelers are raving about these Sudbury hotels

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

During our stay, the staff was excellent. They were very friendly, and helpful.
The room was very clean, although it could use a bit of an update, which I understand, is in the works.
This was our second visit and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gynette_Cousineau-GM, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sudbury, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello Renee P – I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s wonderful that you received excellent service. Great staff certainly makes for a great experience. You will be absolutely delighted with our “new look” on your next stay. On behalf of all the Travelodge Team, we are looking forward to having you back.
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were recently in Sudbury for several days to attend a friend's wedding. One of the hotels suggested to out-of-town guests was the Travelodge on Paris Street. We figured Travelodge is a well-known hotel brand and, though likely not fancy, it would be clean and comfortable. Unfortunately that was not the case. Our first night there, we were put in a room beside the Electrical Room. The buzzing noise was loud enough to prevent me from falling asleep, so I called the front desk to ask whether the noise would eventually stop. The front desk clerk said that some people aren't able to hear the frequency of the buzzing (??) but people have complained in the past about the sound. She said her manager is looking into ways to insulate the room better to buffer against the sound. She offered to move me to an identical room that night. If people have complained about the noise in this room before, and there is another identical room available away from the noise, why on earth assign people to this room? It should be the last room given to people. My boyfriend was out for a wedding function that night so I said we would have to change rooms in the morning, to which the clerk suggested I sleep on the sofa-bed in our room. The two couches in the living room part of our suite were so grimy and flattened that I wouldn't even sit on them, let alone sleep on them! We were moved down the hall first thing the next morning, to a much brighter room away from the electrical room. The couch was just as grimy, and the bathtub had mould in the corners and long strands of hair stuck all over the wall. Gross.
The ONE thing this hotel has going for it is its staff. Justin checked us out on our final morning and was an absolute star with regards to customer service and satisfaction. I encountered several cleaning and maintenance staff over the course of our stay and they were all very friendly and helpful, too.
Because of how well-known and marketed the Travelodge chain is, I was really surprised to encounter such overall poor quality of building, cleanliness, and modernity. The place needs a complete overhaul. Don't spend your hard-earned money here. If you do have to stay here because there isn't a room anywhere else in the city, don't accept rooms 130, 230, 330, or 430 - they are all beside an electrical room and the noise will drive you nuts - unless, of course, you can't hear that frequency...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TONomadicTendencies
Hi there TONomadicTende - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our online community. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your time spent with us. Based on the valuable feedback you provided, we thoroughly inspected all of our guestrooms and have remedied the humming sound. We are also starting some long overdue renovations and are very excited about it. Your experience will be a fresh, new one on your next stay. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. They are truly exceptional and provide outstanding service. It’s wonderful that you received excellent care.
Gynettte Cousineau
Timmins, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a wonderful family weekend planned in Sudbury and incorporated the Travelodge as our hotel. Boy were we disappointed.

From the time we got there the room stunk. There were some functions going on that were using the hotel accommodations and there seemed to be little to no planning on grouping these people together. This lead to all the groups being throughout the hallway at all times, and keeping myself and my family awake until all hours of the night. I have stayed at other hotels in the area where there could be people in the hallway, however once we closed our doors we could no longer hear them. Both nights we stayed in the hotel, we could have been a part of the conversations that were going on 4 rooms down the hall. Some investment into sound proofing would benefit the stay at this hotel tremendously.
The beds were terrible. Top to bottom! The linens were very scarce and the pillows midgrade hopsital type pillows. I woke up both mornings with the sun as I could not handle the back pain it was giving me any longer. It was either the terrible beds or the air conditioning, that was absolutely necessary, that was louder than a transport truck driving beside my bed. (just wondering, who has heat on in mid-July?)
The cleanliness of the room was absolutely disgusting. The bathroom was in desperate need of a major clean, the carpets appeared to not be vaccuumed for some time and on our last night there I was checking under beds for my children's toys and found someone elses garbage under the bedskirt.

Upon checkout, when telling the front desk of my issues she advised that I should've called the front desk and told them because if I didn't tell them, they wouldn't know about it. I'm pretty sure I'm more concerned about getting the disgusting garbage off the floor so my kids don't get into, not about getting permission for them to clean it. Secondly, I believe me telling you now is letting you know. When I proceeded to tell this girl that it was disgusting she agreed, no apology nothing.

Whenever we travel, we have always been very satisfied and happy with our stay at Travelodge hotels, in this case we will NEVER stay at this hotel again. The staff was snotty, the rooms were dirty, loud and uncomfortable. The only positive aspects about this hotel was we were there for Science North, which was close to the hotel and the Perkins was phenomenal!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Alicia C – Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We appreciate all of our guests' feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the challenges you had at our hotel during your stay. Although we endeavor to have groups together, this is not always possible for a number of reasons (room type, pet friendly, etc…). I was surprised to hear about the comfort of your bed. Perhaps because they are new, the firmness was more evident. We are currently installing new carpets in all our guests’ rooms along with other upgrades. I would love to invite you back to experience our fresh new look! Please connect with me the next time you spend a night in Sudbury so I may personally make this last visit up to you.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed April 12, 2013 to April 14, 2013. When we checked in we were offered an upgrade to a king suite because the hotel had over booked the 2 queen bed sofa room that we booked. We accepted and put our things in our room and were not back until it was bed time for our children. While unpacking and bathing and getting the children to bed we found a few things wrong like the window would not close completely, we got it closed to the point that it was fine for the night, the cover to the heat/ac unit was also broken. Then the bath tub wouldn't drain, it took over 20 minutes for it to slowly drain 3-4 inches of water. I went to use the bedroom phone and the cord connection was horrible and I had to hold it in place for it to work properly.
The next morning I told the front desk about our issues and they advised they would have maintenance address the issues when housekeeping went in. Again we were out for the majority of the day and came back in time to wash up and put the kids to bed. again the bath tub wouldn't drain! We also found that instead of making the sofa bed back up the dirty linen was just folded back into the sofa with a towel as well. Having a sleeping baby I obviously couldn't have staff come in to resolve it so decided to deal with it and address it in the morning. On the second day we had also put our baby's milk in the fridge. The milk froze, so when he woke up we couldn't give it to him until my husband either went to the store or it melted.
When speaking with the desk clerk she advised that the bathtub was fixed the day before- I told her it was not... she apologized. She apologized for the milk and gave directions to the nearest store and said she would have maintenance adjust the settings on the fridge. She advised there was no manager on site but she would have the manager get back in touch with me to provide compensation because the only compensation she could provide was a $10 coupon to the on site restaurant and the upgrade option for our next visit. I advised I doubted we would ever come back so the upgrade was not acceptable and I would like to speak to the manager. She advised that the manager would have to call me later that day to discuss it. There was no call from the manager, I called a couple of days later and left a message, still no returned call. I called again and got the manager on the phone but she advised that she wasn't able to speak at the time but had the note on her desk and would address it as soon as possible. Three weeks later I chose to contact head office because I didn't even receive a call back let alone compensation for our dissatisfactory stay. We were not offered a room change or anything that would resolve the issues we had.
Head office addressed it and the Manager finally called back with an offer of a 50% off stay and a promise for their best accommodations and service... so we chose to book for another trip on June 22nd-24th.

First of all the daytime staff that checked us in were very pleasant and courteous. They even called after we got to our room to check if the room was sufficient, I advised that everything seems to be good. We were out shopping till after supper.... and when we returned- my baby was ready for bed....
There were four rooms booked by a large group next to us who were very loud and partying, drinking alcohol and yelling frequently... also exiting via the exit right beside our room and allowing the door to slam behind them, so they could go outside to smoke. After ordering room service I went to the desk to pay at 9pm, and kindly asked the clerk on duty to deal with the noise so my baby would go to sleep. It was very loud and my husband could even hear it over the phone as I sat at the desk on the opposite side of the room from the door.
By 1030 pm I was calling the desk again to advise that they were still very noisy. She advised that they were quiet when she walked down the hall- I invited her to come and sit in my room and listen for a while because at no point in time had they been quiet since we got back after dinner... they were now also drinking and smoking right outside my window... my son still not asleep.
By 11 pm I was in tears... it was still very loud and I told the clerk that if she didn't deal with it I would call the police and have them deal with it- because it wasn't just a noise complaint it was illegal activity as well. She advised me at that time that I could contact head office, and she did offer to move me rooms (right after my baby finally fell asleep after screaming his head off from pure exhaustion)... I told her she should move them and that I shouldn't have to pack up and move- I wasn't the one causing problems, but I would move in the morning.... in fact I insisted on a better quieter room.
Through the night I was having sinus and respiratory issues- I needed to take Benadryl to cope with the symptoms. I had decided to let it slide because we were moving.
We packed up and were ready to go but I decided to give my baby a quick bath so we could move our things then go straight to breakfast (which we never got the $10 off voucher at Perkins- as noted in the email from the manager Gynette)
While giving him a bath I saw the black mold/mildew around and behind the toilet. I immediately got my son out of there, went up to the new room 430 (which my daughter had retrieved the keys for) and took just enough time in that room to search for a new hotel.... I was even more put off by the lack of warning of renovations right by the new room we were given... the bed in that room was also very old and dated.
I took just enough time to call around to find accommodations at another local hotel, then demanded a refund and checked out.

I contacted the Sudbury Health department and they planned an inspection.
I also emailed the manager and head office and never heard a response.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Melpc12
Dear MelPC12 – You and I have had several conversations and we can both agree that the Travelodge Hotel does not cater to your taste. That being said, we strive to make sure ALL guests are comfortable and that the highest level of service is provided. We have addressed your concerns and appropriate action has been taken. The Health Unit has contacted you directly to inform you that no issues were found. I am disappointed that you did not experience what the majority of our guests enjoy every day and why they choose to return to us time and time again.
Knox, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'm always pleased when the staff bends over backwards to be helpful. Everyone was great. The room was nice and clean and good size. It was conveniently located to Science North (which was well worth the $). Altho there was no continental breakfast, having Perkins Restaurant attached was certainly a plus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda46534
Hi there Linda46534 – hearing that our staff was helpful is one of the best compliments we can get. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to visit Science North – it is certainly a lot of fun! We look forward to having you back again soon.