“Not recommending this Super 8” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Sudbury ON

Super 8 Sudbury ON
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Sudbury
St. Catharines, Canada
“Not recommending this Super 8”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a family funeral. My male friend and I had to request a change of room right off the bat, as it was clearly a smoking room and I had requested "non-smoking". The tired but helpful woman at the front desk did give us an alternate room. Smelled better, but not very clean. There was dust on the guest book on the night stand, carpets not too good.
Worst thing was the shower and drainage. I was looking forward to a nice hot soak in the tub at the end of a long day of driving. My friend had his shower, but the dirty water wouldn't drain. It just sat there. Plus the tub was really dirty, dust was floating in the soapy water! I gave up my thoughts of cleanliness until morning, and complained at the front desk about this condition of the room. The same tired woman at the front desk said the hotel is old and needs work, so this was clearly not her first time hearing my complaint. The tub was cleaned but the drainage was never resolved for our two night stay.
Not staying at another Super 8, I think spending a few extra dollars somewhere else would be a better move.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
gms8sudbury, General Manager at Super 8 Sudbury ON, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest
I want to thank you for your feedback on your stay with us back in the fall 2011. I am truly sorry for what had happen during your stay with us. I have taken your comments and reviewed them with our Department Managers to see how we can improve on.
I know its too late to correct what had happen, but the Team here is truely sorry for what had happen.
Thanks
Steve McCulloch - GM, Super 8 Sudbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Not very friendly staff, late arrival and was quoted $100 wth? there isn't a pool.. but we were dead tired..the hotel was PACKED with construction crew..we got one of the last 3 rooms and three of us had to cram into a queen..not their fault, we didn't book ahead..the tv didn't work, the room STANK like smoke, the breakfast area was tiny considering the size of the hotel! We almost always stay at Super 8's but we won't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I want to thank you for providing our hotel with feedback. We use guest's feedback to learn from what had happen so we can improve on. We are sorry for what had happen during your stay with us, and do hope you try us again.
Thanks
Steve McCulloch - GM, Super 8 Sudbury

Travelers are raving about these Sudbury hotels

LITTLE CURRENT, ONTARIO, CANADA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

Last October, I attended a business conference and stayed at the Super 8 Sudbury Hotel for two nights. From the outside, the building looks fairly nice, as does the lobby and breakfast area. Upon arrival, there was no front desk staff available or in sight and I had to wait for about 5 minutes. It appeared to me that the front desk employee was performing some sort of other duty down the hall resulting in the lobby and front desk area not being attended to. When the front desk employee arrived, she was very pleasant and assigned me a room on the second floor.

I walked up the stairs and when I entered the second floor hallway, the smell of stale cigarette smoke permeated the hallway. As a seasoned traveller which spends approximately 150 days per year in different hotels across North America, I was not impressed. The hallway had marks on the walls and it was evident that the facility required a thorough cleaning, painting and possible upgrade.

Upon entering the hotel room, it was immediately evident that the carpets required replacement as did the outdated bed spread and curtains. The furniture was old but functional and the washroom was roomy, but required updating, re-grouting and it would not have hurt them to purchase a better quality functional shower head! All in all, I did find the bed comfortable and did not find any bugs. The hotel room also required updating, but most of all; it required a thorough cleaning, painting and vacuuming. One does not have to have great eye vision to see that around the woodwork there was a substantial accumulation of dust and dirt as the vacuum cleaner did not do a good job or the room maids never used the wand attachment. It would probably also not hurt the hotel to purchase a better quality functional vacuum cleaner for the room maids to vacuum the halls and hotel rooms.

The breakfast area was clean and the muffin and coffee was nothing to write home about. I have stayed at many Super 8 Hotels and found them to be very good but, the Super 8 Sudbury is truly outdated, has passed its prime, needs a major cleaning, painting, renovation and new breakfast menu! The parking lot appeared to be too small for the number of guests, as I was unable to find a parking spot after returning to the hotel from dinner, thus I parked outside of a Pizza Store in a strip plaza located and adjoining or next to the Super 8 Hotel. The free Internet was operational and I did not experience any problems with the connection, but the guest computer located at the bottom of the stairs was not functional and at best was long overdue for the hardware grave yard!

I cannot vision myself staying at the Super 8 Sudbury during next year’s conference unless of course, in the mean time, it undergoes a major overhaul!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MICHAELSCRIBE
Arthur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Was here in twice in last month...Last visit Bathtub leaks at faucets....and mould around tub. This time HOT water faucet leaks bad and i open all the way to quell leak...It will not shut off. Then to make matters worst drain does not drain fast enough to take water away. Will never stay there again will be calling super 8 to report this DUMP

Hayabusa1967@hotmail.com

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Wow! I have stayed in many "Pet Friendly" motels and they all put you in their smoking rooms. I booked this Motel because the Super 8 in Thunder Bay was GREAT.....this one smelled so bad I couldn't breathe! My cat's litter box does not smell this bad!!
Thanks anyway Super 8. It showed me how fast I could check in and out holding my breath!!

Stayed September 2010
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We booked our stay for numerous Super 8's over the 1-800 through out canada as we are moving from Edmonton to Ottawa. When we arrived into sudbury and located the Super 8, from the outside the hotel looked ok. My husband checked up in, now we are travelling with out 2 year old son and our small dog. When we opened the door the STINK of smoke almost knocked us down!! We made our way to our room and opened the door, it was ABSOULTLY DISCUSTING!!! Dog or no dog there was no way in this world I was allowing my family to sleep in such conditions.. Someone shoudl close this place down. When I made my way to the front desk, I requested a new room in a non smoking area, I was declined, when I offered an extra &100 the young man said no. I said that we would be leaving. I told my husband we would be leaving and returned the room keys back to the front desk. I asked if I needed to sign anything he said no but did you touch anything? I said no only the door. He SMIRKED and said wellll Okkkk then...and laughed the older man behind man (employee)started to laugh. We are now comfortaly staying in the Holiday Inn down the road where we can actually breath..

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank coty970
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed one night, and were quite disappointed. The front desk staff person was surly, one of our keys never worked, our room was not very clean (someone had obviously thrown something liquid at the wall recently) and the bathroom was very dingy. But the beds were comfortable, and despite being busy it was very quiet at night. There is a smoking wing which is separated by fire doors, but the smell of smoke is quiet pervasive. NOTE: there is no elevator to the second floor and no luggage carts. This was VERY annoying. The breakfast was pretty awful: very little room to sit, and very limited selections of cereal and toast. Kind of a bummer. We would stay here again in a pinch, but we wouldn't jump up and down at the prospect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple