“Power Outage”

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Toronto, Canada
“Power Outage”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've stayed at this location on numerous occasions while on business in the Sudbury area but this past stay made me re-think my lodging options. As someone who is brand loyal, as well as a Platinum member, I usually expect a certain level of service. Was never even greeted as a Choice Privileges® member. Not sure why other locations can do this? Not too positive of an experience and I haven't even checked in yet.

The main reason for this is the way they handled (or lack of) a power outage. Obviously there is no control over what the weather will do, whether a power grid will hold up during a storm but there is control over how a hotel can handle a situation.
There was never anything offered in terms of lights, flashlights etc... the entire hotel and surrounding area was out and when I checked out the next morning, power was still out to the area. It was quite cold during the evening but what can one do? You're basically stuck in a situation that you have no control over. However, it's also a hotel brands and managements responsibility to ensure guests as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. How about a flashlight? An extra blanket, anything? Never offered, never asked.

Funny, I had a receipt under my door in the morning (power came back for an hour in the middle of the night) so I can see where priorities lie with this hotel.
The gentleman behind the counter in the morning didn't even know if there was coffee or hot water for tea. He's 10feet away from the breakfast are, WTF? Well there was so I'll give them that based on the circumstances.

The carpet in my room was dirty based on previous guests not giving a damn about the new renos. There was a 'wet dog' odor as well considering I booked a ground floor/no pet King room. I mentioned this to the girl during check-in and she suggested a room change but I mentioned some freshener (spray) would be ok as well. And the one thing I can’t stand is hair in the bathroom (not mine!).
It’s unfortunate but I think the one thing that many hotels don’t realise is that travelers have options. If you want to be known for accommodating blue collar workers in mud soaked boots and white pickup trucks, then so be it.

Not sure if I’d stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MichelleWolfe, General Manager at Comfort Inn East, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We value your patronage and certainly want to know if you are dissatisfied in any way.
How disappointing for us to read that we did not live up to your expectations. As we cannot control bad weather and everything else that comes with it, we can however control how guests are treated in the hotel. I have taken your comments and brought them up in a recent staff meeting. We have made some changes to our emergency procedures and have come up with a more detailed plan. On behalf of my staff, i would like to extend to you my deepest apologize. I hope you will return to our establishment and i will assure that this was an isolated incident.
Yours in hospitality,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Good: Free parking, free WiFi, the rooms have been recently updated and are modern and clean, good flat-panel TV sets, and the staff try very hard to provide a great experience.

The Bad: Sound travels between rooms. You can hear your neighbour's phone ring, then listen to their conversation.

The Ugly: This hotel seems to get a bunch of kid's sports teams staying there - each room has a copy of their policy to handle noise complaints on the back of the room door (you think they have a recurring problem?). During my stay they had kids playing ball hockey in the hall, moving from room to room (lots of door-slamming), and running around and knocking on doors, trying to find friends. The parents were standing in the hallway, drinking and socializing, ignoring the problems their kids were causing. Phone calls to the front desk brought sympathy but no results - probably because the parents were not in their rooms and did not respond to phone calls from the front desk, and at that hour (11:30pm) the hotel has only one staff member at the desk - they cannot leave. I changed rooms , and the next morning they fully refunded my room cost. Appreciated, but I still lost a night's sleep.

Breakfast is the usual bread/cereal/sweets/juice/coffee/yogurt, with a waffle-maker. They also had some sort of mystery-meat sausage patties.

There is no pool or exercise room. I thought the hotel to be over-priced in relation to the distance from downtown and restaurants, and the lack of amenities.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk where they put the sports teams - and then select a room elsewhere. In another ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jasmantle
MichelleWolfe, General Manager at Comfort Inn East, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Regarding the noise issues you encountered, Sudbury has many hockey arenas that host various hockey tournaments in town. Over the end of fall and winter, hockey tournaments run almost every weekend. Each team member must sign a "code of Conduct" and generally groups are respectful, however, occasionally it takes only a few to ruin it for many. The reason the code of Conduct is on the back of the room door, is to simply advise guests of what is expected to retain the level of comfort for all guests. We do not have many noise incidents.
We also appreciate the good from your review. We have a good front line at the hotel and i am very pleased when it is noticed by our guests.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback, we hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you again and reinstate your confidence with us.

Travelers are raving about these Sudbury hotels

Timmins
Reviewed October 18, 2013

First I would like to say the room upgrades are amazing (what a difference with a few changes).
I was happily surprised by the breakfast offered, I have stayed in MANY motels and this breakfast was one of the very best.
I unfortinately left my Harley Jean jacket in the closet in my room. I contacted Comfort Inn as soon as I realized, Too my surprise, I received a call a couple of days later that they had found my jacket. I didn't think I had chance of having it returned, BUT it was Purolated to me. THANKS AGAIN to all involved. There are still Honest people and They All work at Comfort Inn on Second Avenue!!! Loretta

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for your gracious review of our property. We are happy that you also enjoyed our new fresh look and our wonderful full hot breakfast. I will also pass on this review to all staff that we involved in retreiving your jacket. They will be delighted by the kind words.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The room was clean, comfortable and the staff was helpful and friendly....We had ground floor and parked right outside our patio door... easy to unload and load... very quiet. The access for the laptop was easy and very good.

Room Tip: There is a small fridge in the room which was helpful. we travel with a cooler of travel eats. even...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your night stay at the Comfort Inn East. Should you return to Sudbury, we hope to be your hotel of choice.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms are all redone. The breakfast area is now huge and updated. The food selection is waffles, cereal and eggs.
The rooms on the lower floors are snapped up quickly so the smokers can smoke outside their sliding doors.
The hotel is used a lot by working crews from out of town. The typical door slammers really show off their skills early in the AM while on their way to work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MichelleWolfe, General Manager at Comfort Inn East, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your comments and feedback. We are always striving to do our best for our guests and your experience will ensure we do just that.
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the comfort inn east simply because it was one of the only pet friendly hotels in the area. The hotel is undergoing Renos but it really wasn't a big deal - I think they are almost done anyway. Check in went smooth - the clerk was very friendly and we chatted for quiet some time about tattoos. We went to our room which was very clean and comfortable. Our bed was nice and made for a good night sleep. We will defiantly stay at this location again and we plan to stay at other choice hotels.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor in regards to your stay. I have forwarded your comments to the staff so they can appreciate the comment as well. Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn East and we hope you visit again soon.
SHANLY ONT CANADA
Reviewed August 1, 2013

a little disappointed when we first got here under renovations but all was not bad the staff tries hard to make you feel comfortable. I am sure it will be very nice when done but for now I would recommend to stay some where else until completed. ask when you call if done because they wont tell you

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MichelleWolfe, General Manager at Comfort Inn East, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is with comments like this that we can showcase our property and give compliments where we see fit. I have posted your review in our staff room so my front desk staff can see that you appreciated their efforts. It has been a long process and everyone needed to adapt to the changes.
I am pleased to advise you that we have been completed and now fully operational. We have built in a new breakfast lounge and serve a full hot breakfast.
We hope you will visit us again and see the completed fresh new look.