I've stayed at this location on numerous occasions while on business in the Sudbury area but this past stay made me re-think my lodging options. As someone who is brand loyal, as well as a Platinum member, I usually expect a certain level of service. Was never even greeted as a Choice Privileges® member. Not sure why other locations can do this? Not too positive of an experience and I haven't even checked in yet.
The main reason for this is the way they handled (or lack of) a power outage. Obviously there is no control over what the weather will do, whether a power grid will hold up during a storm but there is control over how a hotel can handle a situation.
There was never anything offered in terms of lights, flashlights etc... the entire hotel and surrounding area was out and when I checked out the next morning, power was still out to the area. It was quite cold during the evening but what can one do? You're basically stuck in a situation that you have no control over. However, it's also a hotel brands and managements responsibility to ensure guests as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. How about a flashlight? An extra blanket, anything? Never offered, never asked.
Funny, I had a receipt under my door in the morning (power came back for an hour in the middle of the night) so I can see where priorities lie with this hotel.
The gentleman behind the counter in the morning didn't even know if there was coffee or hot water for tea. He's 10feet away from the breakfast are, WTF? Well there was so I'll give them that based on the circumstances.
The carpet in my room was dirty based on previous guests not giving a damn about the new renos. There was a 'wet dog' odor as well considering I booked a ground floor/no pet King room. I mentioned this to the girl during check-in and she suggested a room change but I mentioned some freshener (spray) would be ok as well. And the one thing I can’t stand is hair in the bathroom (not mine!).
It’s unfortunate but I think the one thing that many hotels don’t realise is that travelers have options. If you want to be known for accommodating blue collar workers in mud soaked boots and white pickup trucks, then so be it.
Not sure if I’d stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Inn® East is in a prime Sudbury location near New Sudbury Centre mall, Cambrian College, Adanac Ski Hill, Sudbury Downs, Timberwolf Golf Course, Laurentian University, Science North and the Dynamic Earth Museum. We have been fully renovated and 100% non smoking hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Choice Hotels, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Inn East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn East Hotel Sudbury
- Comfort Inn Sudbury
- Sudbury Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn East Sudbury, Ontario