“Jewel of the north”

Big Nickel & Dynamic Earth
Ranked #3 of 57 things to do in Sudbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Erected in 1951, this famous roadside attraction is a monument to the Canadian nickel industry.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Jewel of the north”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Dynamic Earth is part of Science North, and gives the visitor an idea of what it is like to be a miner. Great museum of mining exhibits over the past 200 years. Underground exhibits let you feel what it is like.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank sydscrew

northern ontario
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“it was fun”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

good for kids, its nice to show them what it is to be underground. was treated well and learnt some interesting tidbits of info.

1 Thank Boomer79
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting Attraction”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great for the whole family. You can spend most of a day at this attraction with children, so give yourself enough time. Interactive areas are great for both children and adults. The mine tour is interesting.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank tlm100
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family Friendly”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We enjoyed The Mine Tour. Very interesting and informative. Also panning for gold. Place for kids to play too.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Elizabeth H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lack of staff and live content”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

When i visited Dynamic Earth I found there was very little to do. A good portion of the exhibits were not working, and there were no live science shows, as promised on the website (this was the main reason we came to visit, as my daughter loves science). There were only a few staff working (that I could find), and only 2 of those staff were knowledgeable. I believe, if I remember right, their names were Pat, and Arianne? There were some other young staff there who didn't feel the need to leave their stools and their phones to come and speak to me and my 4 year old daughter. The tour guide we had was terrible, she was very young and didn't seem like she new what she was talking about (yes I get she may be in highschool, but the other girl I spoke to while we were browsing was also in highschool and she was amazing) I don't remember our tour guide's name as my daughter was not having fun and I was trying to keep her occupied. I don't remember seeing any management staff on the floor, I was looking for them to hopefully learn more information about an exhibit, but they were no where to be found the entire time I was there. This has left a bad taste in my mouth about Dynamic Earth, and i don't think I'll be returning any time soon.

Visited August 2012